Reverse Engineer idea

siegeshot

I've been having tiny spurts of good luck, almost exclusively when I'm trying to upgrade recipes for my guild's lowbies. I've been having long strings of bad luck on the 400 recipes, usually taking 15 or more per. This is a tremendous drain on our guild's resources and not to mention extremely frustrating for an item that's only going to get crafted a couple of times (end level) whereas the lowbie to midbie ones are going to get crafted a lot, but those resources are easier to get. Anyway. Here's my suggestion.

Every item's type gets a 'research new' xp bar. So if you're doing that Adept Enhancement 22 or whatever. You know it has a little xp bar now. So as you reverse engineer the green, it starts to build up a little xp bar. Let's say based on the 20% system now, that the xp bar goes up in increments of 20 trying to fill up to 100.

So every time you reverse engineer it goes up 20. Now we know from the existing system that 20 is a statistical percentage. So how you'd represent that in the new system is maybe a chance that you gain substantially more than the 20 points of reverse engineering xp. Maybe double lets say. So it fills up to 100 sooner or later building on those 20 points to 40, to 60, then woop a double and 100 and you get the upgraded recipe.

Then from blue to purple, let's say with this new visual system, people don't mind having it lowered a bit. So let's say it does increments of 15 instead, but still with the ability to crit.

Added: For branching if BW would talk about reworking it, what I would have suggested is a "talent tree" sort of a situation where when you got your RE xp bar to 100, it opened up a branching tree, you could choose where to go, and then continue with that line of RE'ing.

Then when you wanted to work a second branch, you could select another one and start putting RE points to that one instead.

This way people can visually see how close they are, and we're still using something close enough to the statistics % system, but now it's a hard number. Nobody will ever have bad luck again, but you'll still have the desired result of people not being able to upgrade right away. It's guaranteed now, but controllable and also scalable.

If in the future, bio wanted to make some very very hard to upgrade items. Instead of lowering the % and still having some people automatically get it, and others getting hosed for ages, blowing through tons of resources, they can just adjust the scale on the item and make it so a reverse engineer only gives you 5 points instead.

I think this would also help on items that can spawn many many variants of the upgrade.

Thank you for reading. Please reply or subscribe so it doesn't get buried.

Edited by siegeshot

Very good idea. Of course, lets make those XP different at higher levels - you need like 2 greens to get a blue at lower skill level, but to get blue 400, you need like 10 RE'ed items.

100% agree and that's what I tried to say above. Scale it up as difficulty and level go up, also make people feel some real achievement, and also keep the economy in check and much much more under control.

So how would this work with the RE branches? I may have skimmed over that part, but would we pick which schematic we get, and it resets? Would we just RE three times for what we want? Or would it be random, and we'd have to go through the whole xp bar again?

I couldn't decide this part. My answer above was essentially to leave that alone. If BW would talk about reworking it, what I would have suggested is a "talent tree" sort of a situation where when you got your RE xp bar to 100, it opened up a branching tree, you could choose where to go, and then continue with that line of RE'ing.

Then when you wanted to work a second branch, you could select another one and start putting RE points to that one instead.

Bump

This needs to be implemented. This or something like it. I'm SO damned tired of REing over twenty items to get to the point where I simply give up or am too high level for the damned item once it procs. I get that it's random, but really 20% chance is extremely optimistic. I don't even bother making less than 15 items at a time to RE because it almost never takes less than that, its usually around the 15 to 30 mark. In fact if it procs within the 4-6 attempts like it should I actually get a little disturbed.

And that's just the demoralizingly annoying make-re-make-re-make.... cycle. Lets not forget the never ending EXPENSIVE, boring and time consuming grind of repeatedly farming the mats to actually make dozens of hte same item over and over again. Mats like Sillica, plastoid, and aluminium just a an example because they are fresh in my mind this morning (grrrrrrrr). Quest after freaking quest and none! Or underworld metals... they should just have done with it and call it "underworld companion gifts". Really.

I absolutely LOVE this game, but the crafting system is seriously making a big dent in my enjoyment at the moment. Especially since I'm at end game and aside from raiding and dailies there isn't much to do aside from trying to gear up my alts which keep leveling faster than I can proc their damned gear.

• 2 weeks later...
I get that it's random, but really 20% chance is extremely optimistic. I don't even bother making less than 15 items at a time to RE because it almost never takes less than that, its usually around the 15 to 30 mark. In fact if it procs within the 4-6 attempts like it should I actually get a little disturbed. .

I'm exactly the same way. And if it procs on the 2nd-3rd try I actually get seriously mad. Especially if its a mid-level item which almost always procs on the 2nd-3rd try while my lvl 22's take forever. rageragerage.

I really hope they take a look at this thread. I wish there was a little checkmark saying the devs have read it.

• 2 weeks later...
I suggested a version of this in the first few weeks after the game went live. I've seen no indication that they are going to move in that direction.

It's really too bad. :( We need to keep visibility up. I think this update would make a lot of people happy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

It took me over 20 tries to get a 20% the other night and I'm on about 15 tries on a commando 22 barrel also 20% with no end in sight.

The system really needs to be looked at. A simple xp system per item or something would be great.

:( Please. :(

• 4 months later...