Bioware on HUTTBALL

pbxsparx

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Gunslinger, I feel I am VERY limited to just 'controlling mid' as my primary role. I can't do much else effectively.

The problem being that any DPS class can do the exact same thing. Sage/Guardian classes specifically can control mid AND have their speed/push/pull/jumps to help the game of Huttball.

Point of OP is that other classes are gimped or restricted greatly in Huttball compared to Sage/Guardian classes.

I wonder how many players posting in this thread realize that this is exactly why Huttball is the best warzone map? So many players hate Huttball and only think they know why...but the real reason can be found among these pages. Huttball is a true team based warzone. It takes more teamwork to win here than on any other map, but most players are so solo play oriented, they simply don't get why they always lose at Huttball.

1) It must be the Juggs/Guardians because they can leap. No, it's because of the idiot PUGger who respawned and ran to the edge of the pit giving them someone to leap to for an easy score. The warrior leap ability is 100% useless if there is no strategic advantage to scoring. Do not be a target of opportunity.

2) It must be the Sage/Sorcs who can speed burst through hazards while carrying the ball. No, it's the players worried about 1vs1 kills who let these opponents camp up on the catwalks and wait for passes in the first place. Snipers, this is your job. Control the catwalks.

There are far too many PvPers who don't know their class, even 6 months into the game. There is a hard counter to every class, period. If you don't know your role in warzones, stop crying on the forums and go figure it out.

right on brother.

If I had a nickel for every time some idiot IA or BH stood on the ledge by the friendly endzone to snipe the ball carrier, I could probably retire.

I find it so weird when people complain about my Sniper camping the defending catwalks. They seem to think I'm just trying to score kills but nothing could be worse for my DPS than playing defense. It's almost all just CC with the occasional attempt to rapidly burn down the enemy ball carrier.

not true sage guardian cannot guard center from distance witout beeing pulled and if they put in a strategic position they can guard center while protecting ramp they have a knockback so they can actually control center and control ramp at the same time and cannot be pulled away....

way better a gunslinger at controlling center then guard/sage

As a Gunslinger, I feel I am VERY limited to just 'controlling mid' as my primary role. I can't do much else effectively.

The problem being that any DPS class can do the exact same thing. Sage/Guardian classes specifically can control mid AND have their speed/push/pull/jumps to help the game of Huttball.

Point of OP is that other classes are gimped or restricted greatly in Huttball compared to Sage/Guardian classes.

I have to agree with you. My sage is my main and I have been PvP-ing with my GS... huge difference... I feel like my gunslinger doesn't contribute half as much as my sage... Sure I've knocked people back into fire and stuff but... It just feels very different and helpless

I have to agree with you. My sage is my main and I have been PvP-ing with my GS... huge difference... I feel like my gunslinger doesn't contribute half as much as my sage... Sure I've knocked people back into fire and stuff but... It just feels very different and helpless

Sages don't get very far against good teams to ally pull and they don't have the same kind of stopping power a GS have at middle.

Yes there are bad teams that lets a Sage slip through but that's because they're a bad team. If you got a strong class guarding the middle, no Sage is going to be able to slip through without dying in the first place.

Honestly the players who think sorcs/juggernauts are too powerful probably just haven't adapted and figured out how to beat them - or, they just get with bad pugs all the time and are judging an organized group of 3+ players vs. an unorganized pug.

If the numbers are showing that each class has roughly the same chance at winning huttball as other classes, then maybe it's just a lot of people complaining about them just haven't figured out how to counter them yet. When Huttball first started, no one gripped and stunned people in the fire - or very few people anyhow. Hardly anyone leaped to teammates on the goal line, sorcs typically didn't pull teammates.. The game evolved - players learned how to better use their abilities and as Huttball keeps evolving we'll start seeing more and more intricate strategies used as counters to the so-called OP strategies.

For instance, you'll see teams positioning themselves in such a way where they will not be able to be gripped and stunned in fire/acid. You'll see people use their own pit (below their goal line) more and more to funnel in enemy players and then leap / get gripped out to get a fast break.

This is what makes Huttball an interesting Warzone.. The evolution of strategies and counter-strategies.. You have the whole map and your whole team to work with and don't have to stay near a node and it opens up unlimited possibilities. Granted, some teams will choose to keep a few players in the middle to pick up the ball after a goal - but stalling at the goal line can allow your team to get back in time as well. It's risky, but sometimes worth it. And on defense, it's good to have a player or two watch the rafters, but that's a huge area to guard, not just one little node. The only "node" you need to worry about "capping" is the ball, and it's constantly moving all over the map.

Love Huttball in its current state and I've found that just about every advanced class has its purpose. I do feel for non-healing Mercs though as they have the most boring role. No leaps, no stealth, no grips, no sprints, no (real) heals. At least they get an AoE knockback though.

Edited by Semitote

Ok, write this down, kk?

As a shadow/assassin all you need to do at the start of hutt ball is. drop down the pit, grab the speed burst, run along the sides, still speed bursted run up thru the first fire, <- it is timed perfectly that it will stop burning the second you get there, force speed again, drop down to 2nd tier, run past the final fire, you are now in the end zone. STEALTH total time seconds, now wait for your ball carrier to pass it to you, as soon as you see the aoe circle, pop resilance and unstealth, SCORE, and stop whining. All classes have a purpose.

Edited by Tacticalshotz

Honestly the players who think sorcs/juggernauts are too powerful probably just haven't adapted and figured out how to beat them - or, they just get with bad pugs all the time and are judging an organized group of 3+ players vs. an unorganized pug.

If the numbers are showing that each class has roughly the same chance at winning huttball as other classes, then maybe it's just a lot of people complaining about them just haven't figured out how to counter them yet. When Huttball first started, no one gripped and stunned people in the fire - or very few people anyhow. Hardly anyone leaped to teammates on the goal line, sorcs typically didn't pull teammates.. The game evolved - players learned how to better use their abilities and as Huttball keeps evolving we'll start seeing more and more intricate strategies used as counters to the so-called OP strategies.

For instance, you'll see teams positioning themselves in such a way where they will not be able to be gripped and stunned in fire/acid. You'll see people use their own pit (below their goal line) more and more to funnel in enemy players and then leap / get gripped out to get a fast break.

This is what makes Huttball an interesting Warzone.. The evolution of strategies and counter-strategies.. You have the whole map and your whole team to work with and don't have to stay near a node and it opens up unlimited possibilities. Granted, some teams will choose to keep a few players in the middle to pick up the ball after a goal - but stalling at the goal line can allow your team to get back in time as well. It's risky, but sometimes worth it. And on defense, it's good to have a player or two watch the rafters, but that's a huge area to guard, not just one little node. The only "node" you need to worry about "capping" is the ball, and it's constantly moving all over the map.

Love Huttball in its current state and I've found that just about every advanced class has its purpose. I do feel for non-healing Mercs though as they have the most boring role. No leaps, no stealth, no grips, no sprints, no (real) heals. At least they get an AoE knockback though.

I want to know what server you played on where people didn't leap to people in the goal line, or pulled people into the fire, or got sorc pulled?

Cause we've done that on Belgoth's Beacon from the start.

As for counters, Honestly watching the force users in this thread talk about this crap is getting rather silly...If any of you are trying with a straight face to claim that Force Users don't have a massive advantage in Huttball over non force users then it's rather sad...

We know these classes are better, everyone knows this... Why you're trying to deny it in is silly...

i want to know what server you played on where people didn't leap to people in the goal line, or pulled people into the fire, or got sorc pulled?

Cause we've done that on belgoth's beacon from the start.

As for counters, honestly watching the force users in this thread talk about this crap is getting rather silly...if any of you are trying with a straight face to claim that force users don't have a massive advantage in huttball over non force users then it's rather sad...

We know these classes are better, everyone knows this... Why you're trying to deny it in is silly...

QFT!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I want to know what server you played on where people didn't leap to people in the goal line, or pulled people into the fire, or got sorc pulled?

Cause we've done that on Belgoth's Beacon from the start.

As for counters, Honestly watching the force users in this thread talk about this crap is getting rather silly...If any of you are trying with a straight face to claim that Force Users don't have a massive advantage in Huttball over non force users then it's rather sad...

Then explain why so many BH and PT are being rolled out in the game now?

They are not Force Users and honestly they are OP as hell. A team of 5 PT can shut down your entrie team.

Even when Huttball devolves into a deathmatch, 2 of the Force classes are always in the conversation for the premier offensive class in the game.

That said I think people got the cause and effect backwards. It's not that Huttball favors Force classes, it's because Force classes are overpowered so Huttball favors them. Juggernaut is the only notable exception since friendly leap is game breaking when it comes to Huttball. Tankasin and Marauders are good at Huttball, but they are also good at virtually everything else in PvP too.

Not everyone can be a linebacker or a point guard. The person carrying the ball has a better skill set than the other people on their team. Juggernauts are pretty easy to counter. Just don't stand to where they can jump to you. I think 90% of the reason they seem overpowered as ball carriers is because there always seems to be "That guy' on your team who is hanging out at the very back of your tallest ramp auto attacking the ball carrier. As for Sorcs, they have to get ahead of the play which means they have to get behind your defenses. Don't let them. knock them off, pull them off or stun them while they are crossing the fire. As for pullers, you know what they are going to do. 95% of the time is pull the ball handler into an active trap. That is what teammates are for. Stun/knockdown or otherwise prevent this from happening or from them getting into position. You are not going to promote passing by taking away abilities. You are going to cause teams to huddle up, and slowly make the walk. The beauty of the speed/leap abilities is that you can spread the D thin. They have to think about where they are and you can punish them for not being in position.

Its really not that hard once people learn to stop playing to the sorcs/jugs strengths. Sometimes all it takes is a "Hey Derp, Don't stand on that ledge when they are on offense.

As an aside, I do wish the ball didn't respawn in the center. I wish it went to the person on the team that just scored closest to home base and the new defenders couldn't interact with the carrier until they made their way back to "half-court."

The obvious solution is play smarter and don't give them a visible target to leap to.

Instead of crying for nerfs or buffs, how about you just use your noggin'?

Don't give them a visible target to leap to you say. Well I wish a player could push his team mate off platforms then the problem with inexperienced players is solved.

What buffs and nerfs are you talking about? We're talking about possibly changing the actual gameplay for the ball carrier and the ball carrier alone. Nobody gets nerfed or buffed.

As an aside, I do wish the ball didn't respawn in the center. I wish it went to the person on the team that just scored closest to home base and the new defenders couldn't interact with the carrier until they made their way back to "half-court."

I think it should go to the OTHER team, close to the goal line, and anyone from the opposing team that is not in the center when the ball spawns, cant interract with the ball carrier or anyone else, until either they themselves get attacked, or run back to the middle first.

Thank you. If you want to be a ball carrier, play a better ball carrier class.

THAT BEING SAID - ANYONE can be a ball carrier for a few secs if you have a GOOD team who thinks and goes ahead and makes themselves available to pass. Case in point, my LEVEL 16 bounty hunter made a score last night. One game, our team was almost all mid range/lower dps with one tank and one healer...not ONE Inquisitor. Other team ahd three high level inquisitors. The game was a draw : 0-0. They could move the ball a little better, but we were slaughtering their whole team constantly.

End story: I have a 48 Inquisitor who is fun to score with (but dps aint as hot and talk about SQUISHY!) and I have a 16 Bounty Hunter who I enjoy slaughtering others off the ball carrier. Both are fun - each class has their pluses. Its only fair. I think it'd be pretty boring if everyone did everything. Then whats the point of trying out different classes.

Thank you for your input. I assure you though high-end PvP is nowhere near the level 10-49 tier PvP. It's just a whole different story when premades battles premades.

I stopped reading right here. I'm a tank specced ball carrying Powertech and we do just fine against a lower skilled team with a Guardian. I'd say we've won over 95% of our games against teams with a Guardian/Juggernaut in fact. You are not correct.

I stopped reading at "lower skilled team".

I think it should go to the OTHER team, close to the goal line, and anyone from the opposing team that is not in the center when the ball spawns, cant interract with the ball carrier or anyone else, until either they themselves get attacked, or run back to the middle first.

I wrote that wrong. It should go to the team that just got scored on. The equiv to after you score in basketball or American Football, the team that just got scored on gets the ball.

Get some friends and learn to play, I don't say that meanly, its what you need to do. Learn to play, learn to counter and wait for 8 mans so all the puggies will get stuck in their baddie vs baddie matches.

In the absence of ranked WZs fully rolled out (not just pre-season), this is your only option for reducing PUG variance. Even when we get facerolled, (we are not that good), queuing as a 4 man group is so much more satisfying than soloing in a PUG.

50 Scrapper here. Huttball's my favourite WZ even though I should be useless, apparently.

Leaps and pulls are powerful - if you allow them to do it. Kill, or at least drop, sages/sorcs who are waiting to pull a ball carrier and never stand out where someone can leap to you (yes, I've screamed aloud at people standing aimlessly on the lip of our shelf when the oppo are coming. Cardinal sin of huttball).

If your team is getting gutted by a couple of force users leaping then it's because you're playing really badly and letting them.

Huttball is the WZ that most rewards good play and tactics in addition to mashing the right buttons, and also has the most variety. Leaping force users is a simple, powerful tactic. So you play to negate it and work on your own passing, positioning and controlling the mid for the respawn.

Show patience with people who don't know how to play it yet before biting their head off, then they can learn to play it too and we all have more fun.

Then explain why so many BH and PT are being rolled out in the game now?

They are not Force Users and honestly they are OP as hell. A team of 5 PT can shut down your entrie team.

A Team of 5 Marauders can do the same thing, while having group speed and charge.. and being much harder to kill.

English is not the OPs strong point.

Bioware employee clearly said a combination of all the classes. If you take out a knight and sage, how is this a combination of all ACs?

I can argue the same thing, take out a Marauder and your loses predation which is so OP to get the ball first and to run the ball.

Edited by xxdragonragexx