Dear Bioware,Why do you hate the exile?

Vektarulz

But HK-47 and Carth were created in KoTOR, and thus, are property of Bioware.
I don't think they are. I pretty sure that everything related to story and characters goes under LA. I don't think LA would let anyone make Star Wars game without having complete control over those elements.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O_o..

Isn't TOR 300 years after original KOTOR series? I thought it is nice that Exile is in the game and every player can see her as ghost. (even help her to rescue raven ). I mean only Jedi Consolar can meet Bastila and most ppl are either over look or space key skip it.

Edited by mhsiao

Because the exile belong to a different company?

* It would cost money to license material from another company as-well.

* Then again why bother, if the game is based off more from "kotor1".

* kotor2 lore was pretty much saying "revan is gone to a far away place" for over a 100 times.

There is nothing to license... it's LucasArts' property. I don't understand how your third point's relevant.

O_o..

Isn't TOR 300 years after original KOTOR series? I thought it is nice that Exile is in the game and every player can see her as ghost. (even help her to rescue raven ). I mean only Jedi Consolar can meet Bastila and most ppl are either over look or space key skip it.

They shat all over both Revan and the Exile. I was a fan of KotOR I & II and I like SWTOR, but as closure for previous titles... everything we got was terrible. I'm glad that at least Mass Effect fans know what it's like to get a s--- ending now.

Possibly but if someone created a character, and then another author did something to that character without telling them about it there could be some backlash against that author because they did something that didn't fit said character. Now if that other author asked to use, the character in some other different way and the creator of said character said ok then it wouldn't be so bad....I guess its more of a common courtesy thing, asking before doing because who knows.

The creator of said character, could have already had some more ideas to further use the character but then those ideas are all shot because another author used said character making a mess of things without telling the creator of the character.

It's LucasArts' property. It's ridiculous to claim that Obsidian has any say over Star Wars story and characters... they really don't, not over most (if not all) games they've worked on. If they did, the Exile wouldn't be usable for SWTOR in the first place.

What, did Obsidian have the quarter of the rights responsible for writing a good ending to the Exile's story? But since LucasArts or BioWare only had what was left, they just couldn't go with that and had to settle with the rights over writing a crappy one? Were they just splitting rights like shares, saying "Oh here's your characters and these are mine"?

That's kinda how it sounds to me.

There is only one other author who committed Character homicide 101 in the Star Wars EU and we all know her name, she is heckled as well.

Don't hate. She only wrote the most believable version of the clone war and humanized the clones. Oh and made the Mandos actually likeable. Oh and also made the dogmatic Jedi understandably hated by the general public of the entire galaxy for dragging it into a war that could have been easily avoided. Then again the whole Jedi/Sith thing makes you realize that putting zealots in leadership roles isn't the greatest idea.

/end rant.

Sorry if this is harsh, just really like the perspective brought into the whole clone wars that its being fought by a bunch of disposable people who aren't supposed to have feelings or be at all human in any way shape or form. Oh and they are slaves as well...(effectively)

Don't hate. She only wrote the most believable version of the clone war and humanized the clones. Oh and made the Mandos actually likeable. Oh and also made the dogmatic Jedi understandably hated by the general public of the entire galaxy for dragging it into a war that could have been easily avoided. Then again the whole Jedi/Sith thing makes you realize that putting zealots in leadership roles isn't the greatest idea.

/end rant.

Sorry if this is harsh, just really like the perspective brought into the whole clone wars that its being fought by a bunch of disposable people who aren't supposed to have feelings or be at all human in any way shape or form. Oh and they are slaves as well...(effectively)

Her work in the clone wars was fine, but the needless OPing of the Mandalorians, which they didn't need because they were already loved by Star Wars fans was completely unneeded and just outright turned off many fans to them, one fan even famously stated to her 'Thanks for making the Mandalorians seem like an episode of G.I.Joe'.

That was not even the worst thing, the worst thing was killing off Mara Jade when the reason she killed her off was so Jacen could become Caedus in the story, and that she was the 'sensible' choice for Jacen because he didn't care for her that much, uh wait a minute, isn't the point of the killing, to sacrifice a loved one in order to show your dedication to the Sith way? well that made no sense and even worse she admitted in the public view that she hated Mara Jade's character, basically admitting she wanted to kill her off because of her own views and so she came up with an extremely half-hearted reason to do so.

And then we have Jaina, arguably the best starfighter pilot in the galaxy at that time and yet she couldn't ride a bike according to Traviss' works?

So yeah. I guess I need to clarify my stance. The EU ends with the NJO series for me. It was a good place to stop. everything after that pretty much jumped the shark. Her work, in my opinion, begins and ends with the Republic Commando series. It was well done and made sense. But still, this is just how I see things. I know the EU is ever growing and ever changing, but Mandalore shouldn't be in any way a pacifist planet....

I believe Kotor 2 happens "behind the scenes" and is not public knowledge like Revans deeds

I remember Bioware saying that.

Also everything belongs to Lucasfilm in reagrds to star wars, no matter who created it.

Bumping this for truth. Okay, so we all get it now, LucasArts owns the rights to all aforementioned Star Wars related intellectual property including Revan and the Exile and anything else. But putting that aside, I agree with BrainSpatter -- both Revan and the Exile, not to mention the combined stories of KotOR I & II got completely shat on. All over the face and everything. And why? For what? To appease fans of those two games? Clearly BioWare or whoever was in charge of the decision to include those two characters in TOR could not have been so naive as to believe that fans of KotOR would enjoy their treatment of the characters, and in the end it's fairly apparent that the game was designed to cater to entirely new audiences rather than fans of the old franchise anyway.

I doubt we'll ever get a straightforward answer on this, but it's frustrating to me as well. There was no solid reason behind it. The KotOR games are the only reason TOR even exists, and it would be nice to see their stories and characters treated with a little more respect.

One thing I am grateful for is that, from what I've seen thus far at least, there have been no references to the Exile's actual (by which I mean contrived) name. "Meetra Surik" is, let's face it, kind of a disgrace.

Edited by Eleutherius

Part of me wonders if they did that to both Revan and the Exile in order to encourage fans to move on from both the Kotor games. It's hard to imagine that they thought fans of would be happy with what they did with them both. When the result seems so clearly to be the opposite, I begin to wonder if that was intentional. Edited by OldVengeance

I was watching your galactic history videos and you dont even mention Meetra Surik in the Mandlorian war video or the galactic civil war video,in Kotor 2 she accomplishes many things that are extremely significant and i can understand not mentioning any of the events of the book with her and Revan that's fine but why completely shut her out entirely

She saved everyone from Darth Kreia,Sion and Nihilus and played a crucial role in restoring the Jedi order

you put her in the game as a ghost with a few lines but its as if you don't even remember you made Kotor 2

Scourge,who wouldn't exist without the book plays a significant role yet the person that makes him significant doesn't? i mean whats the deal devs? is it because kotor 2 dident sell very well? Honestly i liked 2 better than 1 meetra is a very believable character struggling with what side she should be on it was really brilliant

doing crap like this is like if they remade the Starwars films and left obiwan out

Im prepared for the 1000 troll response's REVAN BETTER,EXILE STUPID,FANBOY ARGUMENT whatever,im just wondering was there a point to leaven her out so much

The real question to ask is: "Why do you hate your own game so much?" The answer is probably because they didn't make Kotor 2.

It's no excuse to act like she didn't exist and then bring her in like she's Revan's padawan fangirl.

I agree, but what is done is done. The Exile was as cool as Revan in my opinion, she shouldn't have been degraded or lowered to the level that she was.

Look at it this way, Revan was once the ruler of the galaxy and lead a legacy of death.

Yet in 3-hundred short years, all evidence of that time period, except for a few old vaults was completely erased.

I call BS on that one.

It's no excuse to act like she didn't exist and then bring her in like she's Revan's padawan fangirl.

You act as if BW respect women.

In BW's eyes, women are made to be sex slaves, or old hags you get too kill. :D

Look at it this way, Revan was once the ruler of the galaxy and lead a legacy of death.

Yet in 3-hundred short years, all evidence of that time period, except for a few old vaults was completely erased.

I call BS on that one.

Revan was never rule of the galaxy. He led the Sith in an attempt to conquer the Republic, but he didn't "rule the galaxy." Nor did he leave a legacy of death. That was Malak. Revan was known for taking worlds with a minimum of conflict, and he was highly successful at it. When Malak turned on Revan, that all changed.

Revan was never rule of the galaxy. He led the Sith in an attempt to conquer the Republic, but he didn't "rule the galaxy." Nor did he leave a legacy of death. That was Malak. Revan was known for taking worlds with a minimum of conflict, and he was highly successful at it. When Malak turned on Revan, that all changed.

Well you are correct, but still Revan was a pretty big deal in his time and i would expect that many more people would know about him in the time of SWTOR.

Revan definitely left a legacy of death. Just because he was more careful about collateral damage doesn't mean he wasn't responsible for countless deaths. Even before he became Dark Lord of the Sith he was the architect behind the massive death toll at Malachor V in the Mandalorian Wars.