Re-roll or Persevere?

Agthomson

I'm a one-character type of guy. I hate alts, and leveling them. I had one lvl 60 in vanilla WoW, and one lvl 20 in Guild Wars. With TOR's over-emphasis on alts, I am about to embark on my first adventure to max level with a second toon.

I play on the Rogue Moon EU server, and to say it's a ghost town is an understatement. You're lucky to find 15 people on any one planet, even during peak times.

So... with BioWare offering targeted transfers soon, it appears I have a choice. Do I 1) stick it out and create a second toon on Rogue Moon, hoping they offer my server a transfer, and benefit from the legacy system or 2) do I re-roll on a fresh server that has a high enough population that it won't be selected as a target for the server migrations?

Disbenefit if I re-roll is that I am PvE focussed, and am part of (officer/joint guild-master) a small but successful guild. They wouldn't like it if I turned up twice a week to raid then went off to another server. Benefit if I re-roll is having plenty of people to group with and actually complete the things I want to do.

I have 16 characters spread across 3 servers...

If large populations is important to you then roll on a more populated server and roll a different class for a different story experience. If you go the other faction as well then it will be 100% different.

Adding that when transfers happen it's unlikely your guild will 100% transfer to the same server. So unless you're really attached to them ...

Also legacy is supposed to merge in the case of 2 legacy's and character transfer...

Edited by FITorion

If large populations is important to you then roll on a more populated server and roll a different class for a different story experience. If you go the other faction as well then it will be 100% different.

Adding that when transfers happen it's unlikely your guild will 100% transfer to the same server. So unless you're really attached to them ...

Also legacy is supposed to merge in the case of 2 legacy's and character transfer...

You may have no problem re-rolling but there are plenty that do.

If re-rolling is a prerequisite to be able to enjoy the game fully then I would have to say that is a huge fail for a MMO.

Personally I play 6 toons over two servers and pop is not a issue but I would NEVER consider re-rolling just to be able to enjoy the game.

Poor management decisions should not have to be a burden placed on the PAYING CUSTOMER. This is NOT a F2P game last time I checked.

I currently play Bounty Hunter, and would be playing Sentinel if I swapped factions. If I stay on the same server i'll be leveling an Inquisitor of some type.

The server I had in mind is unlikely to be included in any server transfers as it's population is already "Heavy" most of the time.

I guess i'll just do both for now, creating both characters and splitting my leveling time between them. Not idea, but seems like the safest bet :(

Hang in there.

I'm just like you in that I've always been a single-character kind of person.

I too am wallowing on a low-pop server... Keetael... one of the lowest out there.

Even though the server doesnt have many people on it, I am part of a small guild who still regularly runs progression, FP's, and the other fun little things that crop up in SWTOR (+10 crons, rakgoul disease thing, etc).

BUT... if you pay month-by-month by many others out there, it might be of benefit to move now if the low population is absolutely killing your love of the game. I'm sure your one character will still be offered the transfer when the time comes if your server is like mine.

Best of luck in whichever path you decide to take.

Do what I did. I canceled my Sub, got back into an FPS until Diablo 3 comes out, will play that until GW2 comes out, then forget all about Star Wars.

In a couple years when it goes FTP I may download it and check on my characters, then delete it off my computer because another MMO is about to release.

There is a possiblity that even if the server you re-roll on would not be open for transfers that EA/Bioware may offer to consolidate your characters on the heavier server.

I think Rift did that (can't remember for sure though).

Why wouldn't your guild like that? Sounds like they're not doing anything else with you... In the end it's your subscription and if you're not having fun, either start a new character on a high pop server or let your current sub run out then come back when Bioware implements character transfers. Edited by UCKFred

I'm a one-character type of guy. I hate alts, and leveling them. I had one lvl 60 in vanilla WoW, and one lvl 20 in Guild Wars. With TOR's over-emphasis on alts, I am about to embark on my first adventure to max level with a second toon.

I play on the Rogue Moon EU server, and to say it's a ghost town is an understatement. You're lucky to find 15 people on any one planet, even during peak times.

So... with BioWare offering targeted transfers soon, it appears I have a choice. Do I 1) stick it out and create a second toon on Rogue Moon, hoping they offer my server a transfer, and benefit from the legacy system or 2) do I re-roll on a fresh server that has a high enough population that it won't be selected as a target for the server migrations?

Disbenefit if I re-roll is that I am PvE focussed, and am part of (officer/joint guild-master) a small but successful guild. They wouldn't like it if I turned up twice a week to raid then went off to another server. Benefit if I re-roll is having plenty of people to group with and actually complete the things I want to do.

Excuse me? Kai-Kan have 15 ppl total.

I say you reroll on a popular server if it doesn't bother you.

I have little to no faith in Bioware to get this server transfer thing right.

We will be lucky if the server transfers they offer don't wipe our accounts dry!

I was big on alts in WoW (had a level 85 of each class) but have decided i'm just playing 2 characters in this game. My level 50 has cleared a couple of Ops now and is reasonably geared so i'm turning abit of my attention to my level 32 now. One is on Imperial and one is on Republic. I don't see that being any problem to my level 50s raiding because i only joined a semi-hardcore guild. I think i have to see at least 2 storylines and both factions to fully appreciate this game ;)

Chances are if you are thinking along these terms, so are your guildmates. Having been in that situation twice (once within the same game and once with having to change to a new game) my advice is to work together. Scout out new servers together, work on a plan to keep continuity during transitions, and so forth.

It sounds to me like you prefer to be a team player, in my eyes that's a great trait and can be used to advantage in situations like this.

I understand your flustration OP. But the answer is a personal one and onone can tell you the right answer for you.

Personally I am not rerolling. And I am not renaming my chars if they do a server merge/transfers. If those happen or I am still on a low pop server and with no luck being able to run end game content, then I will be done with TOR.

They need to make it so that EVERY char you have, not matter what server they are on is tied to your legacy. Then you can reroll on a populated server and still have access to the perks you've unlocked. Also, since you can send mail to anyone on your legacy, you'll still be able to gear out your alts, transfer money and items. Frankly, they are NOT going to fix the population issues. They are floundering and have no idea what to do. Giving away FREE game time, they still lost hundreds of thousands of subs.

They said "Here play our game, you can even play for free."

And people said "NOPE!"

That means things are bad, and they are NOT going to get better without drastic changes... and maybe not even then.

No third option? Quitting the game?

I was in the same situation as you, and i did reroll on fatman the only high pop server left and while i was leveling i was like, "why am i forced to reroll just to enjoy the game because of Biowares laziness on releasing transfers/merges?" So i just ended up quitting the game.

I know people that rerolled , and then had to RE RE roll cause the server they rerolled to ended up going dead too.

Edited by evildestroyer

This is the debate I'm having. I enjoy playing the Imperial Agent alt I've been leveling, but I'm sick of playing on a dead server (even though its actually a mid-range population server technically, it's still dead).

Then I was thinking leveling some Alts on Jung-Ma, but who knows what servers will end up with what population after the server transfers (whenever they happen and how, since the information they've given us is not specific AT ALL).

So right now I basically just look at server log in screens trying to decide, then end up not playing while I wait for my subscription to run out, which is really sad since I thought i'd be playing this game for years.