A simple thing that will help online population

soldenal

I took a break lately to play some other games while I still maintain my SWTOR sub and will keep it at least for a while.

The one thing I noticed was the AFK kick in SWTOR is much shorter than this other game. I think it only take like 10-15 minutes AFK in SWTOR before you are logged out, while in the other game I can be away quite much longer and can return to play right away. And I think SWTOR might have the shortest AFK kick of any MMOs I have played really.

Here is another scenario, I tried to run SWTOR in the background while playing the other game and switched back to SWTOR from time to time to send out crews for crafting missions. But I eventually gave up since more often than not when I switch back to SWTOR I have been logged out.

Once I got logged out of SWTOR, I am less likely to log back in comparing to other games. Because SWTOR logging in process is much longer than most games I have played.

I can't help thinking this is another factor affecting SWTOR online population. Now most of the servers are not pack jammed anyway, there is no point in logged players out so quickly.

Prolonging AFK-kick timer does two things:

1. The player is more likely to come back and play another session short or long.

2. The in-game population number will look better and give encouragement to all playing, it is a beneficial cycle.

I think it is a very simple change that SWTOR can make and increase online population by at least 10%.

TL;DR simply increase AFK-kick timer will likely increase online population by a noticeable percentage and help the game.

I disagree.

I'd rather have a lower population actually playing the game, then a server crammed ful of afkers.

Besides, the simple thing to fix the current issue is coming....it's called server transfers. People move off light servers and onto standard servers, problem largely illiminated.

Wow, you realize I am not advocating AFKing, but really it will simply make it more convenient for any one to get back to play, at the same time help the on-line population right?

I mean who pay a sub to AFK all day all the time? You guys need to stop this kind of knee-jerk reaction.

By having a shorter AFK kick timer than most MMOs, SWTOR is handicapping itself unnecessarily.

I disagree.

I'd rather have a lower population actually playing the game, then a server crammed ful of afkers.

Besides, the simple thing to fix the current issue is coming....it's called server transfers. People move off light servers and onto standard servers, problem largely illiminated.

Edited by soldenal

It help anybody to avoiding the longish re-logging to play the game, not just crafting cows.

Are you serious? Is that the population you think we are looking for? We are looking for active players, not crafting cows.

The AFK-time is too short, yes. If you're in an instance and I suddenly need to be AFK for whatever reason, I usually find myself logged out and outside of the instance once I log back in. I usually go "Ugh." and quit the game altogether for that day.

I agree with the others here.

Play the game, don't AFK. I would rather be with people who are actually gaming, then standing around and AFKing. I see no problem with the AFK time limit as it stands now.

It doesn't take that much for people to do a button click and log back in if they were logged out because of working on something. I too see this as nothing more then something that will do more to promote farming rather then an active player base.

Edited by Alykia

hmmmmm, guess I dont see the issue here?

AFK for me is 2 minutes or less

IF im going away for 5 minutes, well relogging isnt a issue!

If your going away for 5 + minutes while in a instance (assuming grouped), you probably get booted anyways as group not going to wait 5+ minutes for you.

I find allot of issues in TOR, the afk isnt one of them.

And the short timer stops afk crafting bots so thats a double bonus right there.

Sorry guess I just dont see the need for people to be logged in when their not actually playing!

If you need to eat diner, go eat dinner, why do you need to be logged in for that?

My buddy smokes and hes never dropped when he goes to grab a puff or 2 outside his home. (and when I smoked I dont recall cigs taking 5 minutes to inhale)

And if bathroom breaks consistantly take you 5-10 minutes of time, seek medical aide or eat more bran.

Edited by Kalfear