Why exactly...

Halinmonk

Is Jaesa corruptible but not Ashara? That seems really unfair.

I mean it dosen't make any sense at given that the SI is supposed to be a master of manipulation and corruption, but can't turn his/her Jedi companion but the brutal graceless Sith Warrior can. I mean, is there some reason we are not being told about?

Edited by Halinmonk

Is Jaesa corruptible but not Ashara? That seems really unfair.

I mean it dosen't make any sense at given that the SI is supposed to be a master of manipulation and corruption, but can't turn his/her Jedi companion but the brutal graceless Sith Warrior can. I mean, is there some reason we are not being told about?

Well, Jaesa was trained by a Master

who secretly fell to the dark side.

That makes her much easier to turn.

Whether one can be turned or not - and not just to the dark side in Star Wars, but from any good/evil view to any other good/evil view - is going to depend on that person just as much, and probably more, than the one trying to turn the person.

The reason the Palpatine could turn Anakin to the Dark Side but not Luke is not that his skill at it changed, or even that the circumstances changes (which they did of course). Rather, it's because Anakin's individual strength, weaknesses, and other personality traits made him vulnerable to it, whereas Luke's did not.

Ashara is just stronger, or in any case different from Jaesa internally, and so Jaesa is able to be turned whereas Ashara seems to have been able to keep herself in a light side frame of mind.

The development reason is that since Jaesa is aquired at the climax of Act 1 and that her character (and that of her master's) has been built up so much, that it made sense to have the LS/DS option of her fall to the dark side as one of the end-of-act choices.

Ashara on the other hand, has a significantly smaller plot and was originally killable. However, she's kept as a Jedi in order to provide a contrast to the Inquisitor's character, and to be able to question him about what he'll do in power and his thoughts on the Sith teachings. Besides, towards the end of her companion story she eventually pretty much becomes a Dark Jedi.

Alex Freed (Lead Writer): While all companions react to a player's choices and personality, Jaesa is a unique example in that she is, effectively, two companions in one. The light and dark versions of the character have completely different dialogue, affection responses, missions, and so on - there's as much different content between Jaesa “light” and Jaesa “dark” as, say, between Pierce and Broonmark.

As to why we didn't do this more often: Jaesa's circumstances are unusual, and her situation is the climax of the entire first chapter of the Sith Warrior story. It's a huge moment and, as a consequence, we felt it deserved a huge payoff with major repercussions depending on your choices. No other Companion Character has quite the same amount of buildup, or made sense to have such a drastic personality shift - and given the amount of time and effort needed to develop a separate version of the character, it seemed more sensible to expend that effort on new and different companions.

Edited by Harlequintwo

The development reason is that since Jaesa is aquired at the climax of Act 1 and that her character (and that of her master's) has been built up so much, that it made sense to have the LS/DS option of her fall to the dark side as one of the end-of-act choices.

Ashara on the other hand, has a significantly smaller plot and was originally killable. However, she's kept as a Jedi in order to provide a contrast to the Inquisitor's character, and to be able to question him about what he'll do in power and his thoughts on the Sith teachings. Besides, towards the end of her companion story she eventually pretty much becomes a Dark Jedi.

Alex Freed (Lead Writer): While all companions react to a player's choices and personality, Jaesa is a unique example in that she is, effectively, two companions in one. The light and dark versions of the character have completely different dialogue, affection responses, missions, and so on - there's as much different content between Jaesa “light” and Jaesa “dark” as, say, between Pierce and Broonmark.

As to why we didn't do this more often: Jaesa's circumstances are unusual, and her situation is the climax of the entire first chapter of the Sith Warrior story. It's a huge moment and, as a consequence, we felt it deserved a huge payoff with major repercussions depending on your choices. No other Companion Character has quite the same amount of buildup, or made sense to have such a drastic personality shift - and given the amount of time and effort needed to develop a separate version of the character, it seemed more sensible to expend that effort on new and different companions.

This must depend on exactly how you play it, because its certainly not the way she seemed to turn out with my light side inquisitor.

Well the idea that Ashara would actually follow a Sith in his/her adventures while still being a Jedi is kinda stupid. That is simply against any sound logic. That is like if you were captured in a war by an enemy unit and then willing joining them in their missions against your country and at the same time still having a complete affiliation to your country. Edited by Path-x

Well the idea that Ashara would actually follow a Sith in his/her adventures while still being a Jedi is kinda stupid. That is simply against any sound logic. That is like if you were captured in a war by an enemy unit and then willing joining them in their missions against your country and at the same time still having a complete affiliation to your country.

It's called lying to yourself. People do it all the time.

She likes to think she's still a Jedi, by the end though if you were pretty hard on the 'reteaching her' route she is at least in the gray and doesn't identify with either side.

Until more class quests come available that's the best you can do.

Then why the heck was Jaesa given to the SW and no the SI? It makes ZERO sense for the actually manipulative and corruptive class to not get the companion that can be turned to the Dark Side.

Really it feels like a lot of SW story should have gone to the SI.

Then why the heck was Jaesa given to the SW and no the SI? It makes ZERO sense for the actually manipulative and corruptive class to not get the companion that can be turned to the Dark Side.

Thats my opinion my as well the SW story has more political intrigue and manipulation than the SI story. To me the SI is the brute and the SW is the manipulator or at least the SW can be played that way.

I mean watch the SI story trailer

watch 0:53 to 1:10 of the video we never do stuff like that in our story thats how bioware said the SI was going to be like but i gussed we got lied to. They said the SI story was a darth sidious fantasy in a interview no it is not if you want darth sidious AND darth vader role a SW. I was actually hoping the SI story was going to be like that but it came down to being artifact hunter, ghost hunter and then ghost buster.

Edited by lokdron

Well one must be either drugged or completely stupid to do that.

Yes ashara is stupid hence why when most DS inquisitors found out that you cannot turn her we wanted to throw her in the airlock or feed her to khem val or even

give her body to darth zash

Thats why a lot of DS inquisitors want the OPTION to turn her since you waste a planet storyline trying to turn her to the dark side.

Because Jaesa is turned by accident. Baras' plan was to get her out of hiding and kill her.

Baras and the Sith Warrior didn't realize that her Master has already fallen to the dark side and only kept the facade of a model Jedi and that Jaesa was so fragil she would just break when she learns the truth. You never actually manipulated her.

Spending two whole planets and most of the first act

for the sole purpose of destroying everything she once loved

sounds enough like manipulation to me.

Yeah, but Baras himself explains that it is

to force her out of hiding to kill her. Not to turn her.

And it is his manipulation, not yours. You are just his enforcer.

I have to agree with the OP - It was one of the biggest disappointments in that storyline that I never got to turn her.

She doesn't even need to go dark side, really - She just needs to drop the Jedi thing and join my light-sided Sith in supporting the Empire.