300million and lots of worn out spacebars

kurzis

The voice acting was fun the first time through, but now my spacebar needs to be replaced. Great stories, but its like reading the same book you just finished, no can do. Its just to liniar right now and no option to leave the rails they have laid down.

I'm still subbed, but doing TSW beta weekend now, looking for a change from the wow clones.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Please drop the tin foil conspiracy theories. I've personally talked with both of them, even had a great one on one conversation with Greg Zeschuk last year. They are incredibly passionate gamers, and that is not something easily faked, especially when just talking casually to someone one on one.

Have you read the contract between EA and Bioware? If not, do not make any claims about who is in charge of what when it comes to Bioware and their development procedures.

well clearly you have more insider knowledge than the average internet user, i'll stand corrected when i see some real life evidence, and im not talking contracts or bits of paper, im talking games.

bioware have gone downhill dramatically since EA took over, the quality of their games and their innovation has hit rock bottom

the conversation wheel was biowares last innovation. since then its just been 3rd party game engines and half-assed story telling.

Why are people still bringing up the $300 million rumor that was debunked years ago by the very person who started it? It's confirmed the budget was less than $100 million for the entire game.

I would like to see where any of these develpoment costs have been substantiated.... the figure I have seen blurted around more than anything is actually $200 mill with ongoing costs as and when the cutscene dialogues can't be re-used without making a hsh of it too much.. but then again I dont really care how much it cost if the game cant face up to the facts its hearmoridging subs and having to fire fight its way from one week to the next.....

Throwing money into an MMO doesnt guarantee success the same way that making an MMO on a shoestring budget doesnt mean its gunna fail... at the end of the day the players are the one the hold that card... and from what I am seeing everyday in game or on the forums... those cards are beginning to thin out daily.

that would be a fantastic rebuttal if it wasn't for the fact that i opened up my statement with

"from what i've heard"

Wow, what a great way to say whatever made up thing that pops up in your head and then pass it off as innocently relaying information. Let me see if I got down how this works...

"from what i've heard" you:

Support the taliban

Are in love with a horse

Have a sixth grade education

Fill your soulless, empty existence spewing your impotent rage on message boards to give your life even the slightest bit of meaning

Now, I just want to make it clear I didn't say any of those things and I have no idea if they are true or not. I'm just going by "from what i've heard" and rather than check to see if any of it was true or not, decided to skip that step and pass along the info.

well clearly you have more insider knowledge than the average internet user, i'll stand corrected when i see some real life evidence, and im not talking contracts or bits of paper, im talking games.

bioware have gone downhill dramatically since EA took over, the quality of their games and their innovation has hit rock bottom

the conversation wheel was biowares last innovation. since then its just been 3rd party game engines and half-assed story telling.

I guess we just have differing opinions on this then because I am not seeing the decline in Bioware games. I enjoy them just as much as I enjoyed the original Baldur's Gate and NWN.

anyone think voice acting was worth the money or was it a waste and has it just heavily restricted the game?

any new content, expansions etc will require voice actors, this is going to ramp up the cost of new content meaning development time might be pointless.

im starting to worry that going down the voice actor route might of killed the game before it even started, especially considering the lack of communication from the dev team, new bugs with every patch and lack of content being released.

im wondering if the devs have any plans to revert back to the tried, tested and working text based approach for new content or will they keep pointlessly wasting money on mediocre voice actors?

Wrong forums to get a biased opinion on your question- to many fanbois and over zelous forum mods lock anything or bash anything that puts a dampner on this game

This is not the game for you if your attention span is 3 seconds long. I'd argue that no MMO is, except perhaps WoW where you sit in a chat lobby (city) and queue repeatedly for 10 minute dungeons of questionable "difficulty".

I, and many others, will continue to enjoy the voicework even when levelling my 8th alt. Very many conversations have different branches or lines for each class/gender you play.

Since what the dialogue says has no outcome on my game as a whole, I spacebar though it.

Black Talon has 15 minutes of dialogue... fun times.

Oh common now, at the end you have the option to stay in the fleet or head to DK! :D

I've leveled a Trooper Commando Healing Spec through TWICE, and loved it both times. I've been through Coruscant 8 times now and even though I gripe about it, I still enjoy the process and enjoy the missions.

Sure I spacebar through a few of the ones I've done so many times I can almost quote them, like Trouble In Deed, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy running the mission, in either of the modes you can run that mission with.

And since I don't run through every mission on every planet, that leaves others that I can do later. And even IF I had done all of the other missions, the class missions themselves still make it worthwhile. I just see the other surrounding missions as ways to make the class mission more profitable... achieve a few more objectives, grab a few more pieces of loot and more credits or more commendations, and move on.

Now I've got 7 other classes to get up to level 50 before I'm "done" with the game. By then, I fully expect the level cap to have been raised and more chapters of our class stories to be released. If that doesn't sound like your style, then maybe it's just not a good match for you.

I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to say I've "finished" the game and maxed out every class in every way without them releasing more content to keep me going. Until that day comes, I'm a TORfan.

Edited by Kubernetic

Everyone needs to speak basic....nu peetu wannawanna wanky gets real old. Otherwise, the voicing is no different than in many stand alone games like, oh, I don't know...KoTOR I and II. Spacebarring through is just being impatient to race to a location, kill everything in site before remembering, "oh wiat there's something else this mission is really about, now what did that mission giver say?" 1.7-10 hundred million billion people all have different likes, dislikes and other chocolate bars. Just because one person, or a "circle of friends" believe or feel one way does mean everyone does or should feel the same.

Voicing is fine, acting sometimes not so well done, but if you like it okay; if you don't like it, turn off the speakers and spacebar away. There now everyone is happy.

I've leveled a Trooper Commando Healing Spec through TWICE, and loved it both times. I've been through Coruscant 8 times now and even though I gripe about it, I still enjoy the process and enjoy the missions.

Sure I spacebar through a few of the ones I've done so many times I can almost quote them, like Trouble In Deed, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy running the mission, in either of the modes you can run that mission with.

And since I don't run through every mission on every planet, that leaves others that I can do later. And even IF I had done all of the other missions, the class missions themselves still make it worthwhile. I just see the other surrounding missions as ways to make the class mission more profitable... achieve a few more objectives, grab a few more pieces of loot and more credits or more commendations, and move on.

Now I've got 7 other classes to get up to level 50 before I'm "done" with the game. By then, I fully expect the level cap to have been raised and more chapters of our class stories to be released. If that doesn't sound like your style, then maybe it's just not a good match for you.

I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to say I've "finished" the game and maxed out every class in every way without them releasing more content to keep me going. Until that day comes, I'm a TORfan.

This is exactly my style of thinking. :)

I guess we just have differing opinions on this then because I am not seeing the decline in Bioware games. I enjoy them just as much as I enjoyed the original Baldur's Gate and NWN.

i'll accept that

it is sad times when you look to bethesda as the new RPG gods.

even though their game are buggy as hell

but thats just my opinion

Wow, what a great way to say whatever made up thing that pops up in your head and then pass it off as innocently relaying information. Let me see if I got down how this works...

Support the taliban

Are in love with a horse

Fill your soulless, empty existence spewing your impotent rage on message boards to give your life even the slightest bit of meaning

Now, I just want to make it clear I didn't say any of those things and I have no idea if they are true or not. I'm just going by "from what i've heard" and rather than check to see if any of it was true or not, decided to skip that step and pass along the info.

roflmao

thanks for the chuckle.

I didn't know Kurzis supported the taliban. Are they the ones that got him interested in horses?

Edited by Cerion

i'll accept that

I think Bethesda has great RPGs as well, they are just very different in style. I've always looked to Bioware to give me my themepark RPG fix that is heavy on story and that tap into the emotional aspect of gaming. I look to Bethesda for my sandbox RPG fix if I want to experience a world they've created and where I essentially determine my own path.

Both are very valid forms of RPG and they cater to very different playstyles.

Support the taliban

Are in love with a horse

1) i do not support the taliban, hell... i wasn't even born when the US were training them

2) i like riding horses but generally im scared to death of them

3) i didn't finish school but i now work for the UK civil service

4) ranting on the message boards is now more entertaining than playing the game

I'd like to know what source you heard these rumors from... theres always a source, even if the source is wrong.

i'll accept that

This shows how little you actually know about RPGs. Are you new to PC gaming btw? Bethesda has been one of the top RPG companies for over a decade. That you don't know that says quite a bit about your ignorance in these matters.

I'm actually kind of curious what the "spacebar" group thought they were getting when they bought a game advertised as being... "A cinematic story driven MMORPG".

It was fine the first couple of times but, now its tedious. Not sure about you but I play these games to blow off steam. After dealing with many self serving jerks at work and all the politics I just want to scream. I instead take it out on mobs in mmorpgs.

Besides the stories really are not that well written and become obvious. Nothing new. Fun in a "oh thats neet" or quaint kinda way but after once thru meh. I am pretty much just spamming the bar and escape key to get max ls/ds or companion affection.

I also don't like the cut sceens before the instance boss mob. 9 times out of 10 after the cut sceene the mobs react faster than I can set up to attack (especially on my sniper). So fights usually go ... cut sceene ... die ... rez... win. Frustrating.

And again all the alien languages ... lazy. After a while you start recognizing the patterns and go... hmmmm I've heard this before wait .. thats not what was said last time ( meaning the sounds don't match the text and are recycled). I am especially annoyed that there are Chiss speaking hutteese. There is NO WAY they would use that language they would speak their own if not using basic.

Edited by Urael

I love the voice acting, it adds soooo much more to the story. Key parts of the game for me were made better for watching and listening in steading of having to read.

One bad side though is has stopped me from playing Skyrim. It set the bar so high that after hearing the same voice actors all the time for different charactors I get bored and quit :(

It was worth it for the class story, but it was a waste of money for all the side quests.

After a while even the class stories get old. As you go thru them they become obvious. I haven't been surprised.

This shows how little you actually know about RPGs. Are you new to PC gaming btw? Bethesda has been one of the top RPG companies for over a decade. That you don't know that says quite a bit about your ignorance in these matters.

I know that, BTW im 47, i've been playing RPG's since before the master system was invented. Bethesda have always been one of the best, but they always came 2nd to bioware. now they are the best

After a while even the class stories get old. As you go thru them they become obvious. I haven't been surprised.

I agree, but at least they're all different. Only content unique to each class should be voiced.

I know that, BTW im 47, i've been playing RPG's since before the master system was invented. Bethesda have always been one of the best, but they always came 2nd to bioware. now they are the best

I'm assuming you mean that as a personal opinion and not a fact. Because they are just very different styles of RPG. What is considered the best is all a matter of personal preference.

I enjoy the VO a lot. It brings more to the table for me. It definitely makes it less boring to play alts.

Do I use my spacebar to skip stuff? I skip daily dialogue, yes. That's about it though. The dialogue is slightly different depending on class and choices, and those slight differences keep it fun for me. :cool: