300million and lots of worn out spacebars

kurzis

The story and the voice over work is what is so compelling about leveling in my opinion. The first time leveling to 50 was the best time I've ever had grinding to end game in an MMO. The real problem comes on alternative playthroughs.

After your first character to 50, it's only the class story that keeps someone interested. The only thing different on each playthrough are the class stories. The planet stories themselves are all very similar and generic 'War is about to break out, and the other faction must be stopped! Do a series of about 30 quests to catch the person who is key to us winning this planet.' It's very noticeable the second time around, and made worse by the fact that there is only a single path to end game that must be followed for each alt.

So yes. I skip the generic planet quests for the most part, but it's the class stories that are the real meat and potatoes of the leveling experience. It's a shame that the class story makes up such a small percentage of the game.

Edited by Zannis

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

On the contrary, in my opinion voice acting in tandem with the cutscenes, choreographed combat and focus on story is what pushes SWTOR over most other MMO's.

Other MMO's like Tera has an interesting "new" combat system which was interesting for a couple of days before I got bored with it and then I noticed that the game was in almost every other aspect an extremely pale WoW clone.

While I like the voice acting, it's the characters they bring to life. There is not enough random characters. Like the same faces but with hair, no hair; scars/no scars; twileks that look exactly the same but slightly different shade of colors. Don't get me started on the interiors of buildings and caves....

That's racist! :p

It should have just been a single player game (aka Kotor 3).

Other MMO's like Tera has an interesting "new" combat system which was interesting for a couple of days before I got bored with it and then I noticed that the game was in almost every other aspect an extremely pale WoW clone.

Edited by Closetalker

I enjoyed the cut-scenes, and the mission briefings. They were well done, and the voice acting was really good........the first time through. After that i spaced like crazy.

thats exactly what im talking about my friend..

if you sit through every cut scene and every conversation choice with your 4th alt then i really want to swap lives with you because you either have the attention span of a fish or fair too much time on your hands.

that would be a fantastic rebuttal if it wasn't for the fact that i opened up my statement with

"from what i've heard"

also EA are known to be soul destroying, crunch time, satan worshipers, the CEO doesn't care about consumer opinion, he laughed when EA was voted worst company in the US.

and when it comes to lack of quality

dragon age 2/ME3 ending.

so you'll take an ending of a single solitary game (despite the entire franchise being glorious) and then one game out of the entire library of games that bioware has brought you including the original Neverwinter Knights and Baulders gate. which were fantastic games which actually moved the RPG genera forward.

and discredit everything they've done because of something you've heard and your general disdain towards SWTOR.

totally rational. Bioware has been in business for over 12 years. they will survive you and swtor will grow despite not having 26 million people playing which seems to be the ONLY indicator of success these days.

from what i've heard EA invested 80mill when bioware sold their souls to them and gave up producing quality games, lucas arts invested hundreds of millions before EA got involved.

the exact costs are irrelevant anyway, it still costs more to have voice actors rather than simple text

If the exact costs are irrelevant why did you include them in your title and argument?

See, what I think is that you created this posted based off a rumor that you thought was true. Now that you realize its not you are trying to seem cool by saying that it doesn't matter. Just save yourself the embarrassment of trying to defend your argument and delete your thread.

Well ya can just use a little effort and used the energy ya just used typing here, finding the option auto skip movies. i guess if ya dont like them myself i love them much better then run click run click without any use.

Well, tbh, EA probably invested most of the 80 mil on ads, trailers, bribing IGN and etc rather than on the actual game. Data shows that EA spent 900 mil on that area last year.

That may be, but EA has other games that have had much larger marketing campaigns. Games which come to mind that have had a lot of Marketing put into them include: FIFA (one of their best selling titles), Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2, and other games that, though they probably didn't spend nearly as much marketing dollars on, certainly were part of the budget (e.g. their annual NHL & NFL games).

If the exact costs are irrelevant why did you include them in your title and argument?

See, what I think is that you created this posted based off a rumor that you thought was true. Now that you realize its not you are trying to seem cool by saying that it doesn't matter. Just save yourself the embarrassment of trying to defend your argument and delete your thread.

I explained in the very thread you're quoting me from

the exact costs are irrelevant to my point, it might of cost 20p or 500 billion. it still costs more getting a voice actor in than having a dev add some text somewhere.

so you'll take an ending of a single solitary game (despite the entire franchise being glorious) and then one game out of the entire library of games that bioware has brought you including the original Neverwinter Knights and Baulders gate. which were fantastic games which actually moved the RPG genera forward.

and discredit everything they've done because of something you've heard and your general disdain towards SWTOR.

totally rational. Bioware has been in business for over 12 years. they will survive you and swtor will grow despite not having 26 million people playing which seems to be the ONLY indicator of success these days.

sorry buddy but your point is null and void

the 2 games you mentioned were produced before EA got their grubby, devil claws into BW.

the exact costs are irrelevant to my point, it might of cost 20p or 500 billion. it still costs more getting a voice actor in than having a dev add some text somewhere.

And you also complained about them making subpar games.

As voice acting is now a standard... Asking them to not include it would be asking them to make a subpar game.

Two of your complaints are in conflict with one another.

And for the most part everyone in this thread thinks it's money worth spent. Of course it is more money to add voice overs as opposed to text.

It also costs more to add 3d graphics as opposed to having TOR just be some text-based game. It's called investing into the game to make it more immersive. It's the exact reason why companies spend so much money making the visual (which includes the sound) aspect of a game so appealing. It appeals to our basic senses.

sorry buddy but your point is null and void

the 2 games you mentioned were produced before EA got their grubby, devil claws into BW.

LOL

ok then bro. i see we're done here.

whole argument null and void.

despite the two people who actually created and founded bioware are still in charge.

Edited by chrisftw

Stopped caring about the story. I read faster than they can act. I just want to get to the action. Gets real old when you are leveling alts. Pretty much space baring thru everything now even character story.

Hate all the alien languages. Have to read anyway.

Edited by Urael

LOL

ok then bro. i see we're done here.

whole argument null and void.

despite the two people who actually created and founded bioware are still in charge.

they're not in charge of anything, they must of got greedy and forgot their gaming roots, the best they are is middle management

EA is in charge, no matter what bioware think, EA can over rule them.

its a horrible thing, the best gaming company in the world were destroyed by EA.

Since what the dialogue says has no outcome on my game as a whole, I spacebar though it.

Black Talon has 15 minutes of dialogue... yah.

But what about watching for the story and for just pure interest? I skip Flashpoints i've played 100 times but not the other stuff...

they're not in charge of anything, they must of got greedy and forgot their gaming roots, the best they are is middle management

EA is in charge, no matter what bioware think, EA can over rule them.

its a horrible thing, the best gaming company in the world were destroyed by EA.

Please drop the tin foil conspiracy theories. I've personally talked with both of them, even had a great one on one conversation with Greg Zeschuk last year. They are incredibly passionate gamers, and that is not something easily faked, especially when just talking casually to someone one on one.

Have you read the contract between EA and Bioware? If not, do not make any claims about who is in charge of what when it comes to Bioware and their development procedures.

And for the most part everyone in this thread thinks it's money worth spent. Of course it is more money to add voice overs as opposed to text.

It also costs more to add 3d graphics as opposed to having TOR just be some text-based game. It's called investing into the game to make it more immersive. It's the exact reason why companies spend so much money making the visual (which includes the sound) aspect of a game so appealing. It appeals to our basic senses.

Whilst I agree in pricipal with all that you say...... immersive is somethng I have to mull over a while as I all I hear in this game for the most part nowadays is my own footsteps trecking across empty planets and the thud and smash made my fingers battering down on the space bar, having seen and heard the cutscenes so many times over and over after rolling, re-rolling, running alts.. its actually quite refreshing after all that runing and spacebar thudding to actaully hit a load screen and rest for 2-3mins before running to the next load screen and ...again..and....hmmm yep I am 100% immersed so I guess I can only agree on that as well then :rak_03:

Whilst I agree in pricipal with all that you say...... immersive is somethng I have to mull over a while as I all I hear in this game for the most part nowadays is my own footsteps trecking across empty planets and the thud and smash made my fingers battering down on the space bar, having seen and heard the cutscenes so many times over and over after rolling, re-rolling, running alts.. its actually quite refreshing after all that runing and spacebar thudding to actaully hit a load screen and rest for 2-3mins before running to the next load screen and ...again..and....hmmm yep I am 100% immersed so I guess I can only agree on that as well then :rak_03:

Sounds like you are just getting burnt out then. Just take a break for a couple weeks then come back to it if you want. One thing I've learned is that the second I start turning a game into a job or I feel like I'm just "going through the motions", it's time to take a break from it.