300million and lots of worn out spacebars

kurzis

anyone think voice acting was worth the money or was it a waste and has it just heavily restricted the game?

any new content, expansions etc will require voice actors, this is going to ramp up the cost of new content meaning development time might be pointless.

im starting to worry that going down the voice actor route might of killed the game before it even started, especially considering the lack of communication from the dev team, new bugs with every patch and lack of content being released.

im wondering if the devs have any plans to revert back to the tried, tested and working text based approach for new content or will they keep pointlessly wasting money on mediocre voice actors?

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone think voice acting was worth the money or was it a waste and has it just heavily restricted the game?

What hooked me in beta was the story and voice acting. I've played pretty much every day since pre-launch: I never hit space bar, and still enjoy the stories.

PS $300 million is an unsubstantiated myth. The number is high, but not that high.

Edited by Kthx

Why are people still bringing up the $300 million rumor that was debunked years ago by the very person who started it? It's confirmed the budget was less than $100 million for the entire game.

from what i've heard EA invested 80mill when bioware sold their souls to them and gave up producing quality games, lucas arts invested hundreds of millions before EA got involved.

the exact costs are irrelevant anyway, it still costs more to have voice actors rather than simple text

People sit around all day dreaming up what they think are whimsical thread titles?

Having said that, I'm sold on quality VO. It's one of the reasons I'm not buying GW2..the voice acting sucks. And if I want to read text on a screen these days, I'll use my Kindle.

Edited by Cerion

im wondering if the devs have any plans to revert back to the tried, tested and working text based approach for new content or will they keep pointlessly wasting money on mediocre voice actors?

Seems you don't like the cinematics... or capital letters and punctuation.

Anyway, I like them a lot. They differentiate this game from the hordes of **** titles with text boxes.

I find the story adds a lot to my character and my enjoyment, but I don't just spacebar through them, because if I'm going to play a game I'm actually going to play it instead of skipping through one of it's coolest elements.

Edited by Blistrich

What hooked me in beta was the story and voice acting. I've played pretty much every day since pre-launch: I never hit space bar, and still enjoy the stories. ....

I loved the voicing in this game, and my g/f joined this game primarily based on the story-telling and voice acting.

I'm very bored right now at level 50 with our guild doing EC and am leveling an alt with the g/f (she's recently subbed, her first MMO). I've been having a great time listening to a new story and enjoying the one I've already done (she's leveling a sniper).

Seems you don't like the cinematics... or capital letters and punctuation.

Anyway, I like them a lot. They differentiate this game from the hordes of **** titles with text boxes.

I find the story adds a lot to my character and my enjoyment, but I don't just spacebar through them, because if I'm going to play a game I'm actually going to play it instead of skipping through one of it's coolest elements.

thats fair.. difference of opinions

but what about aliens who don't speak basic and you have to read anyway? i know the voice acting for that probably cost 50p but it was still a waste of time and money

from what i've heard EA invested 80mill when bioware sold their souls to them and gave up producing quality games, lucas arts invested hundreds of millions before EA got involved.

the exact costs are irrelevant anyway, it still costs more to have voice actors rather than simple text

please continue with your absolute factual and non made up credible opinions.

so far we have soul selling

intentionally pumping out NON quality games

lucas arts out of left field investing in bioware.

300 million dollar budget. (i've heard upwards to a billion spent on this game)

is there anymore you would like to add?

Your foil hat... it's on crooked. You know they can read your thoughts now, right?

he is right though.

if you ever want an honest review you don't go to IGN... everyone knows this.

but what about aliens who don't speak basic and you have to read anyway? i know the voice acting for that probably cost 50p but it was still a waste of time and money

lol, how can you not like the alien languages?

Gree is awesome! It gives life to otherwise lifeless, flat MMO questgivers.

thats fair.. difference of opinions

The alien dialect cost very little to put together because you talk for about 10 minutes in one of the dialects and you have enough to mix and max for the entire game for that species. And it's not a waste of money because for very little cost you maintain immersion in that area of the game.

Voice Acting and cutscenes have spoiled me for all other games. The experience would feel empty without it.

What they could do however, it introduce more alien NPCs; with default, re-used gibberish, or more datapad quests.

But just to prove my point...I hate...HATE... alien NPCs, because I love the VO so much, and alien language speaking cutscenes are just a cut above a block of text NPC.

But that's a alternative.

While I like the voice acting, it's the characters they bring to life. There is not enough random characters. Like the same faces but with hair, no hair; scars/no scars; twileks that look exactly the same but slightly different shade of colors.

Don't get me started on the interiors of buildings and caves....

please continue with your absolute factual and non made up credible opinions.

so far we have soul selling

intentionally pumping out NON quality games

lucas arts out of left field investing in bioware.

300 million dollar budget. (i've heard upwards to a billion spent on this game)

is there anymore you would like to add?

that would be a fantastic rebuttal if it wasn't for the fact that i opened up my statement with

"from what i've heard"

also EA are known to be soul destroying, crunch time, satan worshipers, the CEO doesn't care about consumer opinion, he laughed when EA was voted worst company in the US.

and when it comes to lack of quality

dragon age 2/ME3 ending.

That's not true. LA has the joy of SELLING the rights to use Star Wars and spending next to nothing on development. They get to just reap in a portion of all the proceeds and they have had very little input or financial backing into SWTOR.