why is crafting so restricted?

Illyean

BW didn't exactly reach for the stars when they put crafting into SWTOR, in fact they did a half decent job in terms of the concepts but the implementations are pretty poor by and large. However, I wanted to ask if this has been considered before.

I'm currently levelling up alts (as end game is a train wreck right now, Im biding my time enjoying the class stories). Part of this requires me to gear up from time to time and the game provides a number of options for that, but makes player crafted the least attractive without a trip to fleet/main city only to find no one has crafted what I want anyway.

What I would like to see is crafted gear made available via the various vendor NPC's on every planet, same for gear like the PvP recruit gear which I know has irked a lot of crafters.

So, lets take recruit gear. Currently available only from your class php vendor on fleet and not craft able.

1. Make it craft able, maybe via RE'ing the purchased gear, so the cost to start is to buy the gear from the vendor but the RE chance is 100%. A special purchase mechanic would be needed or just a scheme made available to keep it simple.

2. The crafter can now put the gear up for sale on the PVP vendor, not the GTN. While there is player crafted gear on the vendor the game created gear isn't shown, so the crafted gear is used. Sold on FIFO and only 1 of each item per crafter is allowed to be posted at a time.

3. The price is capped (could be fixed but that prevents competition) at the game gear price

4. The crafter makes 75% of the profit, the game takes 25% as tax

5. If there is no crafted gear the game generated gear is available.

So there is always recruit gear to buy, if a crafter has made any theirs will be sold first. Players can cut prices to make sales,, competition.

Now take that same sort of idea and apply it to all gear at every level from every vendor. Now craters can create a huge variety of gear and have it sold along side the game gear that so many people end up buying anyway.

Edited by Illyean

Eh, not really a fan of this. There has to be $ sinks in the game that simply get rid of money or it's a crafted run economy. This is part of that solution. Banks, Cargo bays, legacy are the other routes.

Swijr

Becuase everytime they come up with a idea they apprently have to dgo ask the "tech" people if its even possible. They say no.. and that dictates what can and can not be done...

I believe its a borrowed game engine right ? ie non in house... maybe they need to get another company to push the technology first so bioware can impliment ideas.. hence delay/

They seem to have a philosophy where they want much of the economy to go through vendors.

The first step should be one central GTN with hubs on all worlds.

However, there is still a serious problem with how material acquisition is structured. Take laminoid, for instance. It's far more rare, yet used in schematics WAY more than the other level 1 Scavenging compound. I run the missions over and over, but get very little laminoid, while the other stuff piles up. So the most used material skyrockets on the GTN, which drives the products made from it way up. You end up with nothing for low level players because it's not worth the materials to make low level gear.

Another example would be electrum and polyplast, used in level 40+ mods. That stuff is rare, yet used far more than the common grade 5 materials. Because of how valuable it is elsewhere, there is no way I'm going to use my limited supply to craft mods. It's a strange set up, and a problem when it comes to low level crafted gear. Simply put, the materials are worth more than you can get out of selling crafted items to lowbies. This could be solved if you could get a reliable supply from missions, but it doesn't work like that.

I've said it many times, TOR crafting needs some inspiration from SWG crafting, that will make it alot more interesting. The crew skills idea is good it just need less static form and some things from SWG crafting can do just that. I could write a lenghty post about which parts would be ideal and how they could be implemented with the current crew skills but I would just be wasting my time.

I've said it many times, TOR crafting needs some inspiration from SWG crafting, that will make it alot more interesting. The crew skills idea is good it just need less static form and some things from SWG crafting can do just that. I could write a lenghty post about which parts would be ideal and how they could be implemented with the current crew skills but I would just be wasting my time.

I agree - unfortunetly though, games have moved away from trully creative answers to those where anyone can compete with anyone else with minimal effort or investment. There is good reasons to do this but what is lost is all the creativity. Vanilla is the most popular ice-cream flavor in the world, so that is what devlopers go for. Unfortunetly people get tired of vanilla just as fast as anything else. SWG had a step up becsaue it gave us more control of the ice-cream machine to create our own flavors. It wasn't perfect but it was more freedom and that s what people crave.

Simplicity and instant gratification is nice in the short-term but in the long-term it's a cancer (not to mention random crafting, ug). Do I want SWGs complexity in TOR? No. But it would be nice it crafting was given a solid piller like PvE, PvP, and Raiding and not just an afterthought tacked on.

TORs current system is a good foundation but far more freedom needs to be given so that crafters feel more important. I think their just stuck on "Crafting is not Heroic", though in a crafters mindset in a mmo, they are indeed heroic. Supply lines win wars and people are happy to fill that role.

Edited by Ironcleaver