Operative using Pistols

Wintermist

I'd just like to suggest something that has been on my mind for a long while. An operative has a pistol on his hip during the cutscenes but can't use them in combat. Why not just let them use pistols as well so players can choose what they want for their character.

And if this isn't to your liking, atleast make the pistol remain on his hip outside of cutscenes as well so they just don't magically appear out of nowhere. It conflicts with the immersion to be honest.

Honestly, they should give everyone the ability to use the weapon they want, with a few exceptions. Snipers for example should have to use Sniperrifles. However I don't see why Bounty Hunters can't use Assault Rifles, or Operatives Blasterpistols.

I think they should lift the Restrictions on Range weapons to a limit.

Comando-Assualt canon, Rifle, Pistol.

Vanguard- Rifle, Pistol

Merc- Assualt canon, Dual Pistols, Rifles

Powertech- Pistol, Rifle

Op- Rifle, Pistol

Sniper- Rifle, Dual Pistols, Sniper

scoundral- Rifle, Pistol

Gunslinger- Rifle, Dual pistols, sniper.

this Keeps AC Damage the same, but more of a unique appearances per person.

I'd just like to suggest something that has been on my mind for a long while. An operative has a pistol on his hip during the cutscenes but can't use them in combat. Why not just let them use pistols as well so players can choose what they want for their character.

And if this isn't to your liking, atleast make the pistol remain on his hip outside of cutscenes as well so they just don't magically appear out of nowhere. It conflicts with the immersion to be honest.

I urge you to take a look at my thread - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=268729 - as I've been opposed to this since pre-release. However, I believe in an alternative besides allowing Agents pistols - to make the Operative's (and in truth Agent, regardless) equipped-on-the-character-screen Vibroknife present in the game world and take the place of the "placeholder magic pistol" during conversations. For Operatives especially, they heavily rely on the Vibroknife, yet it has no presence in-game, just a canned animation that is the same for Shiv from level 1 to 50! Agents should be able to draw and sheath their equipped Vibroknife slot item, brandishing it like any other weapon. Different knives should have differing graphics, and this knife graphic should be visible both in and out of combat. Having the Vibroknife belted to the hip/thigh as pistols are currently, would allow for the removal of the Conversation placeholder pistol in favor of the Vibroknife, for a minimal animation change.

Quite honestly the faux pistol placeholder never should have made it out of beta - it is evidence of sloppy attention to detail. Combine this with the fact that Agents (especially Operatives) don't have a graphical visibility for their primary or important secondary weapon, it is bloody insulting. Agents aren't the only classes effected (ie Scoundrels should definitely have a visible Scattergun they can draw, wield, with discrete graphics etc), but pretty much any class or advanced class that has a "wieldable" other than a Pistol, RIfle, or Lightsaber, they have no graphic present anywhere and therefore a lesser visual feedback level for their avatar. Imagine if in World of Warcraft if Shields, Guns, Wands, Thrown weapons, Bows, Crossbows, Offhand Caster Focus Items, etc... all had no graphics? That's the situation we have here in SWTOR and its a halfassed, corner-cutting implementation that is unfair to players of a great many classes. The "ConvoMagicPistol" is just icing on the cake, completely unnecessary if there were proper art assets and implementation thereof.

• 9 months later...
I totally agree with the ability to equip an operative with a pistol instead of the rifle. It makes zero sense to walk around with a heavy rifle while you come out of stealth to stab someone. This is the one thing that prohibits me from playing multiple classes. If I am going to spend hours playing a toon, I want some flexibility on how I play that toon.