Don't transfer characters, but merge servers.

Been hearing a lot about free transfers. While that is better than nothing, I feel like it is not the most optimal solution. What will almost certainly happen is everyone on the low pop servers will just go to the 5-10 most packed servers, making the empty ones even more empty.

Why not just merge light servers? Like every 3 or 4 or so have their player bases combined. Or whatever ratio makes them ideal medium/heavy population sizes.

Server merges will be the correct way to correct for idiotically opening too many servers at launch. (NOTE TO MMO DEVS: When a new game launches, there is always people that will cry and moan about a queue time to log in. DON'T listen to them. Better to let them whine about a one hour queue for a week than have a large handful of low population servers that manage to discourage even people who like the game.)

On another note, LFG is a needed tool nowadays. Guess what "DPS LFG any heroic" for 30 minutes or more in general chat is not "Community".

And there you have another reason for merges. Many people want LFG, but only on same-server to keep some form of community. Fair enough argument. But it will only work with fewer, more populous servers. Otherwise, the big servers get their community and the small servers get shafted with huge wait times, if they ever get into a group.

That is all.

Transfers are a better solution. Bioware is making the first round of transfer free and limited, meaning that certain servers will be open and certain ones closed. After that then paid transfers will begin. It is better to let the people choose from a list of destinations rather than force people to go somewhere they may not have. After the transfers have had some time to sort things out THEN servers will be closed, any remaining players moved and populations will be evened out on fewer servers.

Bioware took heat for not having enough servers at launch. They took heat for having too many and hurting the population. Transfers are coming, let those dictate where people go and which servers should be shut down/merged. It would make things a less messy.

Good god.... Really pay for something that BW should be sorting out in order to keep their MMO.... an MMO?

Right?!

LoL. What I don't get is the people saying "chill out it is coming, God be patient!"

THOSE people are the ones who aren't helping. Those of us pushing for quicker merges or at least transfers are the ones with the games best interest in mind. Nothing makes people want to leave like an empty server. Even an end-game which is average (just my opinion, not trying to flame, and I love other aspects of this game) can be weathered if you see lots of people around to do stuff with. But this game on a low-pop server is just an RPG. Which is fine, but, won't keep people for more than a couple months. Maybe they buy an expansion too, play the story, and leave again.

But ya, Bioware better hurry up. I won't pretend to know how difficult or easy it is to make server merges happen, but it doesn't matter. GW2 is out soon. A wow xpac is out soon. Tick tock bioware.

Transfers are a better solution. Bioware is making the first round of transfer free and limited, meaning that certain servers will be open and certain ones closed. After that then paid transfers will begin. It is better to let the people choose from a list of destinations rather than force people to go somewhere they may not have. After the transfers have had some time to sort things out THEN servers will be closed, any remaining players moved and populations will be evened out on fewer servers.

Bioware took heat for not having enough servers at launch. They took heat for having too many and hurting the population. Transfers are coming, let those dictate where people go and which servers should be shut down/merged. It would make things a less messy.

That works too. As long as we end up with less servers than now.

Tera got it right with what... under 10 servers? Yeah, there are queues but from what I hear they are full, and will most likely stay full because of the low number of servers.

Queues are annoying, but when you do load in after 20 minutes or whatever, you enter a packed server. That is a good feeling.

What isn't is spamming to find a group of four for half an hour. I was about to ask the NPCs to join.

Why not just merge light servers? Like every 3 or 4 or so have their player bases combined. Or whatever ratio makes them ideal medium/heavy population sizes.

The problem comes down to players having characters on multiple servers, so they need some choices for which servers their characters end up on. Even with transfers this will be a problem for some players since they might have more than 8 characters between their server and the target server.

Actually allowing people to choose their destination is the best method. Rift closed the lowest pop servers and allowed those on them to move to any server they wanted. You end up with the same number of servers, but people can move characters to join friends or combine all their characters on a single server if they choose. I'm sure the highest pop servers won't be destinations, but people on those servers can move off if they choose. This is the best way to consolidate IMO Edited by iceperson

Been hearing a lot about free transfers. While that is better than nothing, I feel like it is not the most optimal solution. What will almost certainly happen is everyone on the low pop servers will just go to the 5-10 most packed servers, making the empty ones even more empty.

Why not just merge light servers? Like every 3 or 4 or so have their player bases combined.

Cause they want people to be able to choose their own servers at first.

Right?!

LoL. What I don't get is the people saying "chill out it is coming, God be patient!"

THOSE people are the ones who aren't helping. Those of us pushing for quicker merges or at least transfers are the ones with the games best interest in mind. Nothing makes people want to leave like an empty server. Even an end-game which is average (just my opinion, not trying to flame, and I love other aspects of this game) can be weathered if you see lots of people around to do stuff with. But this game on a low-pop server is just an RPG. Which is fine, but, won't keep people for more than a couple months. Maybe they buy an expansion too, play the story, and leave again.

But ya, Bioware better hurry up. I won't pretend to know how difficult or easy it is to make server merges happen, but it doesn't matter. GW2 is out soon. A wow xpac is out soon. Tick tock bioware.

It's the people with that impatient attitude that pressured them into rushing to open a multitude of new servers at launch and caused the current situation. Please quit pressuring them to move before they are ready.

You do not get to choose the server you go to.

Queues are annoying, but when you do load in after 20 minutes or whatever, you enter a packed server. That is a good feeling.

Not everyone likes a packed server. Personally, I don't like having to compete with people for clickable mission items, mobs to kill, etc.. Some people purposely choose a low population server to avoid those things, and play/group with friends who feel the same way.

I would much prefer being given the choice to transfer characters rather than having it forced upon me with a server merge.