LS/DS Choices Do Not Matter

Juniormonk

I was fully immersed into the game all the way to lvl 50. Back on Nar Shaddaa I made a choice that would haunt me for the rest of my life. Or so I thought. I sent a woman back to her husband who had fled to become a dancer in the inner city. As a Jedi Consular I felt it was in their best interest to resolve their issues face to face rather than running away. Turned out the husband was overly protective and abusive. The force decided that me sticking my nose in their business was that of the dark side and I received a 50 point penalty. From that moment on as a light sided Jedi I would always carry that decision on my back. Then I reached max level and was able to make some light side choices in flashpoints and that's when I noticed, my last choice removed the dark side points to nil. I was officially 100% light side. Great, right? Nah

If I can make as many dark side choices or vice versa only to replace them with the opposite, then the choices really don't matter...Next time I was given the choice to open the bay door, sending the engineers into outer space, I had no guilt in doing so. I wiped that bad part of history away the following day.

TLDR

LS/DS don't matter. when you reach the max level you replace one with the other.

cheers,

Monk

Edited by Juniormonk

I thought your alignment bar kept track of all LS and DS points you rack up through the game and just added the two together to determine your alignment. I've got like 5k DS points, but my LS points outweigh it by a factor of three, pushing me more towards the light.

A few bad decisions can be outweighed by more good, but you've still have a record of them.

They matter as much as you let them.

The game lets you do that so if you want Dark Side V and picked some LS choices, you aren't locked out forever from getting that gear. You can make more DS points and reach Dark V.

That doesn't change the fact that you felt very negatively about making that decision, it also doesn't HAVE to change how you RP your character.

The problem is yours, not the game.

I thought your alignment bar kept track of all LS and DS points you rack up through the game and just added the two together to determine your alignment. I've got like 5k DS points, but my LS points outweigh it by a factor of three, pushing me more towards the light.

A few bad decisions can be outweighed by more good, but you've still have a record of them.

Once you hit 10,000 on either side your next choice will subtract from the opposite side. I was 9,950 and thought I'd stay that way but one good decision made me full lightside and 0 darkside. It's just a bummer that my dark side choices lose meaning and are erased. Then again, I guess Darth Vader cleared his DS points at the very end as well.

I would be horrified if I could not remove the blight on my character that is 50 lightside points.

As a young and impressionable Sith lord, I made the horrifying error of telling a father his son died well, when actually the coward barely made it into the temple.

This stain on my otherwise impeccable record has haunted me and I look forward to the day when the sheer weight of my actions erases this blight .

Only Dark V can cleanse the stain...

Once you hit 10,000 on either side your next choice will subtract from the opposite side. I was 9,950 and thought I'd stay that way but one good decision made me full lightside and 0 darkside. It's just a bummer that my dark side choices lose meaning and are erased. Then again, I guess Darth Vader cleared his DS points at the very end as well.

Well if you want to think of it in an RP sense... you've done so much good that you've atoned for your past misdeeds. But that doesn't mean your character (you) don't remember doing them, but perhaps they are no longer weighing on your soul, or you've evolved to be so LS that offered that choice again, you would make a different decision.

That said the LS/DS thing isn't very 'RP' anyway, so if you're very serious about developing your character as a LS Jedi that has made only a few minor mistakes in the past, I can't believe you'd need that bar to remind you of what choices you made.

Besides I like the idea of not having to carry the mark of some minor mistakes for the rest of your life if you spend the remainder doing good!

Well if you want to think of it in an RP sense... you've done so much good that you've atoned for your past misdeeds. But that doesn't mean your character (you) don't remember doing them, but perhaps they are no longer weighing on your soul, or you've evolved to be so LS that offered that choice again, you would make a different decision.

That said the LS/DS thing isn't very 'RP' anyway, so if you're very serious about developing your character as a LS Jedi that has made only a few minor mistakes in the past, I can't believe you'd need that bar to remind you of what choices you made.

Besides I like the idea of not having to carry the mark of some minor mistakes for the rest of your life if you spend the remainder doing good!

Wow, Pubsam you are firing on all cylinders! I'm floored and agree with everything you've said. I'll have to go back to the temple and really meditate over the way I've perceived the force. Seriously...

I would be horrified if I could not remove the blight on my character that is 50 lightside points.

As a young and impressionable Sith lord, I made the horrifying error of telling a father his son died well, when actually the coward barely made it into the temple.

This stain on my otherwise impeccable record has haunted me and I look forward to the day when the sheer weight of my actions erases this blight .

this made me LoL. I'm on the opposite side of that spectrum

Lol this post is full of win.

Personally I don't find it particularly bothering that formerly achieved LS/DS points eventually become nullified -- in the original KotOR games there were no points but an overall alignment, and even besides that it sounds silly for ones relationship to the force to be based on an arbitrary system of action-based points.

What does bother me is the lack of any impact whatsoever ALL choices have, regardless of whether they give you LS/DS points. Sure, your choices with your companions affect your relationships with them -- as they should -- and your other actions affect the particular outcome of a quest, but none of that ultimately means anything in the game. For all intents and purposes the world looks and feels exactly the same. In the first KotOR for example, if you redeem Yuthura Ban, you eventually run into her again on Dantooine. In TOR, there are no observable consequences to your actions (aside from silly emails) and consequently almost everything you do in the game feels meaningless. **** LS/DS points, decisive actions should have visible results.