Powertechs aren't OP

Saerith

Those 3 classes can't. Juggs have a large sweep that needs 4 charges and is on a cool down longer than 5 seconds. Mara's are back heavy on their damage and sin's can open up for over 6k but it slows down later. In fact I'd say merc's or commandos may have had the best shot with stationary grav round spam and an unload.

Incorrect. It's A Charge, And A focus ability filler. What are doing with your focus?

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thermal Detonator

Incendiary Round

Rail Shot

Rocket Punch/Flame Burst

Rail Shot

Rapid shot...

PT Pyrotech is my most boring toon ever...

Here I will let the secret out, if you have a Naga mouse and want to keep it simple PT is one of the easiest macroable spammy class in this game along with super burst.

Button 1 (Opener): Thermal Detonator, delay, Incendiary Round

Button 2 (Skill Spammer): Railshot, delay, Rocket Punch, delay, Flame Burst, delay, Rapidshot

Your very skilled player rotation is SPAM 1 until Incendiary Round then SPAM 2 until opponent die. Make sure to reclick 1 to reapply TD / IR if needed. 1v1 if you are "skilled" as you claim the opponent should have died before the IR is done ticking.

Button 2 spammer will fire off railshot everytime its up or it will attempt to cast rocket punch if up and enemy in melee range, if not, it will attempt to cast flame burst if the enemy is within 10m, if not it will auto attack up to 30m of enemy.

You have enemy pull which you should use, you have self heal, you got heavy armor, you have 25% mitigation defensive cd, you have a 30m ranged stun, you have an aoe stun and YES ALL THESE AVAILABLE TO even 31 pyrotech (so those people claim 31/31/31 BS doesnt work here). How do I know? Because its my latest 50 after my 50 Sorc and 50 Marauder. My operative is level 30 and leveling.

Powertech Pyro is extremely simple and is playable by 2 button. The macro will help the nubs to be decent and you will fare wayyyyyyyyyy better than most. After awhile, start learning to use your pull, mix in defensive CD, vent heat at the right time, cylinder switch to guard your healer if you have to...

It amazes me how people try to downplay the power of a Pyrotech PT or call it skillful to play... It is actually one of the class with the easiest rotation other than a madness sorc. And TRUST ME your sorc wont touch half of the burst of a PT.

You sound like us sorcer/sage types that counseled others to learn to interupt and they'd be fine. Yet people still don't interrupt the correct abilities for the correct spec of sorc/sage as they can't in their ADD addled minds say Oh alia is healing I should save my interrupt for her channel, or oh alia is dps I should save my interrupt for TT.

The difference herein being that Sage/Sorc dps can be interupt'd and shut down. PT's is all (except speedshot) on instant abilities one of which (Flameburst) is no longer affected by the global cool down. PTs spec'd correctly can spam Flameburst like it's going out of style as they are shedding heat like it's going out of style.

You called the sage / sorc crowd one button wonders when they were 'OP' and now you are afraid your Jerry's kids class will be corrected to a more balanced perspective? LOL

Flameburst off the GCD? what are you smoking lol, also if someone is spamming it they probably arent assault specced because it will mess up the internal cooldown on high impact bolt. and what the hell is speedshot? the only damage thing that was taken off the gcd was energy blast which is the 31 point tank tree ability that has a 15 sec cool down on it and does 800 energy damage lol. Man if you are saying PT/vanguard is a one button wonder you really must be totally clueless to how that class is played.

Flameburst off the GCD? what are you smoking lol, also if someone is spamming it they probably arent assault specced because it will mess up the internal cooldown on high impact bolt. and what the hell is speedshot? the only damage thing that was taken off the gcd was energy blast which is the 31 point tank tree ability that has a 15 sec cool down on it and does 800 energy damage lol. Man if you are saying PT/vanguard is a one button wonder you really must be totally clueless to how that class is played.

Heat Blast is no longer limited by the global cooldown. Its damage has been reduced by approximately 15%. off global cooldown.

It does damage based on current weapon damage sheds 8 heat and there allows another flame burst to follow immediately on the last. Coupled with the heat shedding built into damage and being cc'd that any good PT has, it's a neatly unlimited resource pool at their disposal.

Imagine if you would a sorceror / sage that got not 6% of his force pool back, but rather 8% of his force pool back with the use of FL/TT...

And imagine if you damaging him was also giving him 8% of his force pool back, then imagine him hitting you every 1.5 seconds for 3k damage a tick on the FL/TT.... then you'd have an idea what it is to be on the receiving end of the PT set up as it stands currently.

Thanks bioware for making the Tanks deal better sustained DPS than the DPS. It's no wonder the meta game is Healer/ Tank with guard.:rolleyes:

Heat Blast is no longer limited by the global cooldown. Its damage has been reduced by approximately 15%. off global cooldown.

It does damage based on current weapon damage sheds 8 heat and there allows another flame burst to follow immediately on the last. Coupled with the heat shedding built into damage and being cc'd that any good PT has, it's a neatly unlimited resource pool at their disposal.

Imagine if you would a sorceror / sage that got not 6% of his force pool back, but rather 8% of his force pool back with the use of FL/TT...

And imagine if you damaging him was also giving him 8% of his force pool back, then imagine him hitting you every 1.5 seconds for 3k damage a tick on the FL/TT.... then you'd have an idea what it is to be on the receiving end of the PT set up as it stands currently.

Thanks bioware for making the Tanks deal better sustained DPS than the DPS. It's no wonder the meta game is Healer/ Tank with guard.:rolleyes:

You are not really complaining about the 31point talent in the shield tree in the PvP forum? Seriously? Read the post you quoted...

Edited by Twor

On a 2 minute cd.

Let's do exactly what you said, shall we?

Marauder: Obfuscate, Force Cloak, Undying Rage, Saber Ward, Cloak of Pain, self-heals.

Juggernaut: Enraged Defense, Endure Pain, Force Push

Sniper: Ballistic Shield, Entrench, Cover Pulse, Evasion

Operative: Cloaking Screen, Evasion, Heals

Mercenary: Energy Shield, Jet Boost, Heals

Assassin: Deflection, Force Shroud, Force Cloak, Force Sprint, Overload

Sorcerer: Static Barrier, Force Sprint, Overload, Heals

Powertech: Energy Shield, Kolto Overload

Gee, it sure looks like the Powertech has the least amount of defenses in the game compared to ANY AC, not just DPS specs.

What were you saying again?

Dont PT's get that AoE carbonizer and wear heavy armor too? They have a stun too right? I mean come on if you are going to count things like force speed or Obfuscate, you have to count those other abilities.

The biggest defensive cool down the Power Tech has is his auto procing snare. The best thing to do when melee attacks you is attack back and strafe. Range stops melee damage by not being in melee. I don't know the Vanguard to Pyro skill names but i know you left off a few.

Cryo grenade, adreneline Rush, snares on damage, shield which can also break roots, aoe mez.

Dont PT's get that AoE carbonizer and wear heavy armor too? They have a stun too right? I mean come on if you are going to count things like force speed or Obfuscate, you have to count those other abilities.

Okay, I'll post a new list to include the CC abilities of every other class as well, then.

You see, I left them off the list because I was only doing pure defense / escape abilities.

If you want to count CC as well, the list becomes even more skewed. : )

I also didn't include talented abilities (and some people are including silly talents that no one takes, like snare removal on Energy Shield here) because it starts to become absurd at that point, but I can do that as well.

Obfuscate literally has NO OTHER USE than as a defensive cooldown. I'm not sure where else you would include this, lol.

I included sprints because they can be used to escape danger.

Edited by Varicite

The biggest defensive cool down the Power Tech has is his auto procing snare. The best thing to do when melee attacks you is attack back and strafe. Range stops melee damage by not being in melee. I don't know the Vanguard to Pyro skill names but i know you left off a few.

Cryo grenade, adreneline Rush, snares on damage, shield which can also break roots, aoe mez.

PT doesn't get an AoE mez. That's Marauder. : )

Updated this silly list w/ CC abilities as per requested.

Marauder: (13) Obfuscate, Force Cloak, Undying Rage, Saber Ward, Cloak of Pain, self-heals, Predation, Crippling Slash, Rupture snare (talented), Intimidating Roar, Force Choke, Force Leap out of danger.

Juggernaut: (9) Enraged Defense, Endure Pain, Force Push, Intimidating Roar, Crippling Slash, AoE snare, Force Choke, Force Leap out of danger, Intercede

Sniper: (8) Ballistic Shield, Entrench, Cover Pulse, Evasion, Leg Shot, Shield Probe, Flash Bang, Cover

Operative: (7-8) Cloaking Screen, Evasion, Flash Bang, Sleep Dart (can be used after Cloaking Screen in 1v1), Sever Tendon, Heals, Dispel, and of course Hidden Strike opener (talented)

Mercenary: (5) Energy Shield, Jet Boost, Concussion Missile, Heals, Dispel

Assassin: (11) Deflection, Force Shroud, Force Cloak, Force Sprint, Overload, Force Slow, Electrocute, Spike, Whirlwind, Mind Trap (can be used after Force Cloak in 1v1), Wither (talented) -OR- Low Slash (talented)

Sorcerer: (8-10) Static Barrier, Force Sprint, Overload, Electrocute, Whirlwind, Force Slow, Overload root (talented), Static Barrier mez (talented), Heals, Dispel

Powertech: (5) Energy Shield, Kolto Overload, Carbonize, Electro-Dart, Flame Burst snare (talented)

If we add CC into the mix, Powertech is now tied w/ Mercenary for having the least amount of defensive abilities of ANY AC in the entire game.

Is that better? Is that what you wanted to see?

I did still leave off most talented abilities, except for the most common ones. I included all of the normal Pyrotech talents in a PvP build.

Edited by Varicite

Yay, another PvEr posting in a PvP thread! Try rolling on a PvP server and you will discover the difference. Be sure to make it to level cap.

And I'm positive he doesn't. And even if he does, who cares, he's just fighting carebears all day. The biggest difference on a PvP server is the talent opposing you. But you wouldn't know that. It's all just a content thing amirite? Clownz...

I've pvp'd quite a bit in every MMO I've played over the last 10 years. Every single game was played on a pvp server, including ones that were considered the best at one point and time. I even spent 6 months on the pvp beta server for this game. I can say that there is absolutely no difference between a pve and pvp server., especially when 99.9% of all pvp is instanced. Ganking the 1 lowbie you might see on the way to 50 does not make a pvp server better. The server/game doesn't matter anymore. A small handful of players are actually good and everybody else, not so much.

Also, if for whatever reason you're dumb enough to think that only the best pvpers play on pvp servers, then the fatman is clearly the best server. It has the most people on it, but if you actually played there you can vouch that the players there are just as good/bad as every other server.

um what? Either your joking or your really have absolutely no idea about that ability or the way powertech and vanguards ammo/heat system work. All energy blast AKA heat blast does is restore 1 ammo out of a total pool of 12 ammo or the heat equivalent for powertech. the 8% ammo regen is barely noticeable considering the fact that almost all of our abilities each cost 2 ammo, including ion pulse (flameblast or whatever its called), It has nothing to do with weapon damage and does not scale with weapon damage, it does roughly 900 dmg in full battlemaster dps gear and has a 15 second cool down, i'll say it again; FIFTEEN SECOND COOLDOWN, ion pulse AKA flameblast is also extremely weak when used by itself, dealing base damage of around 900.

Because when I run away from a powertech, I get yanked back and slowed, a slow I can't even cleanse. And I'm still getting hit for 4k multiple times in a row. For anyone claiming that marauders can easily burn down a good pyro - lol, just lol. A marauder has crap burst DPS compared to a pyro. Show me a marauder do 25k damage to a single target in 9 seconds. Marauders can burn me down too, but it usually takes them at least 25-30 seconds by themselves (and only the good ones can kill me). So yes, literally the only defense I have against powertechs is to use both force slow and force speed immediately, and if either of those are down, well, I'm completely screwed.

But no, it's absolutely hilarious reading all you pyros out there trying to justify your class's burst potential. :D

Because when I run away from a powertech, I get yanked back and slowed, a slow I can't even cleanse. And I'm still getting hit for 4k multiple times in a row. For anyone claiming that marauders can easily burn down a good pyro - lol, just lol.

@ Have you played even 1 of these classes? pretty sure you haven't if you had you would not be laughing, you would know a marauder v a Pyro, marauder has it easy if he is annihilation also, he can always get away.@

A marauder has crap burst DPS compared to a pyro. Show me a marauder do 25k damage to a single target in 9 seconds.

Marauders can burn me down too, but it usually takes them at least 25-30 seconds by themselves (and only the good ones can kill me).

@You're wrong. Marauders have some good burst too, not as good a PT but still it's there.

I have a sage healer too (which I've played alot, my main in every game is a healer.) you have some pretty bad marauders on your server, must be alot of re-rolls ey? wonder why.

Good marauders should kill you in 12 seconds (while being beaten on) and you will only be able to cast insta heals, unless you are hybrid specced with traited kb for snare and blind bubble. If you are 31 seer, you die. Bad marauders are just that bad. But bad players play every class so not sure of you point here? Still having a bad one on you its still ouch time.@

So yes, literally the only defense I have against powertechs is to use both force slow and force speed immediately, and if either of those are down, well, I'm completely screwed.

But no, it's absolutely hilarious reading all you pyros out there trying to justify your class's burst potential.

@Dps is as a whole is op atm, PT have a big burst granted slightly op but are a well balanced class that become great when supported by a good team (could be same for most dps atm) You sound very butthurt from this guy on your server, guessing you play against him alot- probably the reason he is so good he played pvp alot.@

Sounds to me like you have a vendetta against a good player playing a good class. Standard.

btw, if you are saying sage healing is fine you don't know sage or pvp very well.

Edited by Arise

PT's are FAIRLY balanced. Strongest burst in game... and that is really the only bread and butter they have. They are glass cannons. PT's that do damage are NOT durable, regardless of what spec they play.

Any self respecting PT goes 31 into PYRO leaving very little points in the other trees, giving them very little defensive ability. PT's do NOT use shields ever.

Quality PT's also do not shield other players, except for the VERY rare occassion. They are the epitome of glass cannon in this game and do not have much utility: a 2.5 stun, a taunt, and a grapple are a poor set of utilty skills when compared to the other top pvp classes and is not a substitute for the highest burst (barely) in game.

Right now there is zero reason to take a PT over a marauder or Assassin, as those classes can do almost as much as the PT can do plus much, much more in terms of utility. This is of course not to say that PT's are useless in WZ's as that is just a melo dramatic exageration.

I am a top notch player with very un-biased views. You can do a search of my post history in which I have called for nerfs to both classes I have played significant amounts of time on (my PT and Sorc) prior to 1.2. Right now Marauders and Assassins take crown as best pvp classes and by a wide margin; scoundrels/ops best healer by far.

I am not asking for a buff to PT's (perhaps less burst for more utility) but for nerfs to Assassins, Marauders, and overall buffs to pretty much every other class not named a PT. I also think damage is general is way too high across the board and prefer a much more skill based pvp game play than the zerg fest it is.

I also haven't played for weeks as I hate the state of pvp as it is right now, but still have the 30 day trial running on my account.

Edited by Humankeg

Sounds to me like you have a vendetta against a good player playing a good class. Standard.

btw, if you are saying sage healing is fine you don't know sage or pvp very well.

Sage healing is fine. I've seen sorc/sages heal top of the boards over the other healers quite a few times since 1.2. So yeah gg.

Sage healing is fine. I've seen sorc/sages heal top of the boards over the other healers quite a few times since 1.2. So yeah gg.

Topping heals in a match is nice, but far from the best way to tell if a healer is affective.

Only crappy healers need a guard. The better ones make do without. Oh yeah, I occasionally run with a guard, and it's fun, but I don't rely on them to keep me alive. if I can't do a decent job protecting myself, I'm just dragging my entire team down with me. Seriously, L2P. Real talk.

You tried to claim PT's were better than marauders in 1vs1 matches: you lost all credibility on these forums. Marauders (prior to their buff and PT's nerf) were about even to a PT pre 1.2. Now its not even close.

You tried to claim PT's were better than marauders in 1vs1 matches: you lost all credibility on these forums. Marauders (prior to their buff and PT's nerf) were about even to a PT pre 1.2. Now its not even close.

Because what I crave most is to be validated by this forum's consensus, of which there will never be any. Talk to good pyrotechs. They crap all over marauders without CDs, and with CDs, marauders provide a bit of sport.

Edited by Saerith

If a Marauder wins a 1v1 against a Pyrotech with the classes as they are right now, the pyro is bad. This is fact. A good pyro will force defensive cooldowns out of the Marauder within a few seconds of the start of the fight, and have no issues cleaning up afterwards.