This is killing Star Wars

Sonikon

Downtime - Yeah I'm not real happy about this either but then again I run weird hours.

Stability - I've not had any issues on my server.

Lore - Plenty of lore IMO. I can't think of many other MMOs that have a built-in codex. Feel Star Wars-y to me.

Space Combat - I've run hundreds of space missions and my only complaint is that I wish they had level 50 versions of all the lower level missions. Would a JTL space combat sim be nice? Sure I suppose, but I don't want them to remove what's already in the game.

Load Times - I only have long load times when loading planets...which is why I don't run WZs from anywhere that takes a while to load. Not game-breaking to me.

Everything on your list is entirely passable to me.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

SWTOR is dying, 2 mill sold at launch, maybe 2.5. mill total by now, they're down to 1.3. mill (free month is included im sure) They've lost way too many, and Elder Scroll Online is coming in 2013 to give that last push.

Yeah, because five months totally tells the story on an MMO that's getting ready for a big expansion. :rolleyes: Oh, and just how bug free do you expect Elder Scrolls to be?

Lore: There is very little Star Wars going on here. This could be ANY game with a SW skin tossed over it, the race selection and the locales are about all there is here that is Star Wars.

Not even going to respond to the rest of your post...this point right here made it clear you really don't even play the game do you.

One can criticize SWTOR for many things, but the Lore isn't one of those things. There is a helluva lot of Star Wars happening in this game, on par with previous KOTOR releases, and perhaps a 100 fold more Star Wars than SWG ever had. If you can't see how BioWare 'gets' Star Wars with the evidence plainly before you, then you really don't understand Star Wars at all.

Not even going to respond to the rest of your post...this point right here made it clear you really don't even play the game do you.

One can criticize SWTOR for many things, but the Lore isn't one of those things. There is a helluva lot of Star Wars happening in this game, on par with previous KOTOR releases, and perhaps a 100 fold more Star Wars than SWG ever had. If you can't see how BioWare 'gets' Star Wars with the evidence plainly before you, then you really don't understand Star Wars at all.

I agree to miss the Star Wars lore you would have had to space bar through every quest in the game.

SWTOR is dying, 2 mill sold at launch, maybe 2.5. mill total by now, they're down to 1.3. mill (free month is included im sure) They've lost way too many, and Elder Scroll Online is coming in 2013 to give that last push.

I'm starting to realize how much I really hate pessimists. I've pretty much gotten rid of their influence in my real life. All my friends and close associates are optimists. My life is so much better for it.

The only place I run into a barrage of pessimists is online game forums. They're like dementors from Harry Potter, lol, sucking all the joy out of life.

This game doesn't lack in Star Wars lore. However it does lack the soul of Star wars. The first time you get a proper lightsaber there's no spine tingling moments. The first time you get your first bounty there's not a real feeling of getting into the bounty hunting world. (Though there is a nice reference to Calo Nord). There's something lacking a certain, spark. Something that makes you think "wow this really is Star Wars!"

There's a few times during flashpoints or some of the side quests you think "oh that's cool they referenced X character" or "oh look I've just killed Y character from KOTOR" but the way things are delivered lack impact. This game delivers things in a very cold and clinical way.

Bioware get Star wars, there's no doubt about that with their previous outing. But they have missed the mark in capturing the feel of the universe this time. That sense of magic and wonder just isn't there. I have 66 days left on my sub, levelled a toon to 50 after several toons and a server change and after all of that I simply feel spent. I my 30 free days on top of all of this as well and I can't bring myself to play the game.

The repetition grind at 50 feels more like work and after coming home from work that's the last thing you want to do. With SWG the game never got boring for me, I never felt like I was plugging away at the game for anything other than fun. Personally I'm leaving this game. While there isn't another SW MMO out there now I'd rather not feel burnt out and feel like gaming is a chore.

Edited by sambeta

Yeah, because five months totally tells the story on an MMO that's getting ready for a big expansion. :rolleyes: Oh, and just how bug free do you expect Elder Scrolls to be?

I know that much Elder Scroll fans are bigger than Star Wars, I think it has a good shot to stop Blizzard's tyranny or at least weaken it.

Edited by BlueFromMoon

I'm starting to realize how much I really hate pessimists. I've pretty much gotten rid of their influence in my real life. All my friends and close associates are optimists. My life is so much better for it.

The only place I run into a barrage of pessimists is online game forums. They're like dementors from Harry Potter, lol, sucking all the joy out of life.

Im optimistic but realistic too, Im not closing my eyes in fear of fail.

when I stop playing/subbing a game, I stop hanging around the forums etc. for the game.

what is it with all you unsubbers still trying to make your 'swtor is dying' point?

you unsubbed, well done, now go away and dont let the door hit you on the way out.

you dislike the game - your point is invalid.

The lack of innovation and missing massive multiplayer open world/realism feeling kills the game, nothing else. And the mechanics are the same like a decade ago. People expected more from an AAA company like BW.

No, they really don't at large. You may think they do because you personally want it - but no mystical large portion of the MMO playerbase is wanting new mechanics and drastically different gameplay in their MMO.

Case in point: at the core, WoW is the same exact thing as TOR and millions of lemmings willfully still pay the subscription cost. Diablo 3 is the same thing (with a few more whistles) as D2 and D1. How many people promised Blizzard to pay 12 months of subscription to WoW (and be loyal lemmings) for a free D3 box?

Blizzard attempted to bring new mechanics and difficulty in with their last expansion. What happened? massive losses of subscriptions until they began to nerf and revert those mechanics. I see the same thing already happening with EC. We can find readily find people able and willing to run EV and KP hardmodes but we cannot hardly find anyone willing to run storymode EC. Most players do not want a bunch of new mechanics to deal with all the time.

What people want is to feel like they have something reliably within their grasp to do when they log on, after that - they want to be able to include their close ring of friends in that action. For most players, the "massive multiplayer" is nothing more to them than seeing movement of other players in the background.

I have experienced/agree with none of the OP remarks.
Really?

So, you haven't experienced any server downtime due to the dev's patching fixes to broken patches, and don't agree that this actually happened?

You haven't experienced the fact that harbinger went offline when all other servers were fine and disagree that it actually happened?

You haven't experienced that space combat is on rails, or you disagree that this is the case?

you haven't experienced having to load between your ship and and the planet or between instances and disagree that it happens?

Your experience is that the player base isn't quite friendly and that the immature people are in the minority? (or you disagree that this is the case?)

Really, if you claim that have not experienced any of the OP's remarks or disagree with all of the OP's remarks... that seems a rather untenable position.

Really, if you claim that have not experienced any of the OP's remarks or disagree with all of the OP's remarks... that seems a rather untenable position.

is the fact that he views those things as NOT killing sw so difficult to grasp?

Edited by smilefunk

I know that much Elder Scroll fans are bigger than Star Wars, I think it has a good shot to stop Blizzard's tyranny or at least weaken it.

........you're wrong. dead wrong. i'm not going to go into why and how. but you're wrong...

SW fans are probably the largest fanbase in the WORLD....they make ES fans look like the last group of an endangered species.....

now those fans may not be game, much less MMO, fans..but to say ES fans are bigger just shows complete ignorance to facts.

A wise man once said "Just because you've read a thousand books doesn't mean you're qualified to write one." It's the same for making games. :rolleyes:

Just because you make games doesnt mean you're qualified either, or that you should. Plenty of awful game makers out there that have been doing it for years. Other super creative people dont do it for various reasons including the awful working conditions and politics.

Really?

So, you haven't experienced any server downtime due to the dev's patching fixes to broken patches, and don't agree that this actually happened?

You haven't experienced the fact that harbinger went offline when all other servers were fine and disagree that it actually happened?

I think the real point is what are people comparing the downtime to? I read it a few times in the post here but come on people WoW had DAYS of downtime! DAYS!, SWTOR has by far the best downtime I have seen of any MMO. My server in WoW was Senjin, every single patch day, every single one, we were one of the last servers up. It was always tuesday the day everything reset which was our raid night and we always were screwed because half the peoples clients wouldn't stop crashing when the game finally came up.

One server down for a few hours? Who are you comparing this to? Some imagined game where stuff doesn't go wrong? If you are comparing it to WoW there really is no comparison, WoW has repeatedly went down for days, it took them years to figure out how to not completely screw up every server every patch (letalone major patch in which case .. days)

This is life, stuff doesn't go as planned; I personally have been pretty impressed with SW-TOR's downtime; Why? Because I compare them to other games not some imaginary game that doesn't exist or hasn't been released yet.

I feel it is not the community in general that is at fault, it is a combination of many things for example:

Downtime: Both expected and unexpected because the devs released a patch which broke the game mechanic, then have to release another patch to fix that patch.

Server Stability: Why did The Harbinger go offline when all other servers were fine? Don't you guys have RAID (this is my overly simplified look at it without knowing the details over what transpired today). But really guys, in this day and age the sever status should not even hiccup with the tech available.

Lore: There is very little Star Wars going on here. This could be ANY game with a SW skin tossed over it, the race selection and the locales are about all there is here that is Star Wars.

Space Combat: It is on RAILS, yes no joke, this was more an a seemingly afterthought of "feature" tossed in last minute just so the publisher can say Yes there is space combat, and checked it off the to do list.

Load Times: I click map, select a planet and go to, LOAD, I run to exit ship and LOAD, many instances LOAD LOAD LOAD. Seriously guys, you should have looked at the original Dungeon Siege to see how it would be handled properly.

Overall, I have enjoyed the game over the past month that I have owned it when I could play, but the server downtimes, technical instability of the patches, then more patches to fix THOSE patches just sour the outlook.

The player base I have found quite friendly, yes you will encounter immature people, but this is true in ANY life experience not just games. Overall I was hoping to have liked it much better but no dice. If they had released and given us an MMO version Knights of The Old Republic, then this game would have been RED HOT, and I feel the player-base as whole would have been happier. It seems a strong combination of many aspects about this game that has caused me to reconsider.

My expectations were misplaced, my hopes were a tad too high, and overall, as satisfying as SOME of the gameplay may be, it does not (in my mind) justify calling this Star Wars The Old Republic.

I just disagree with most everything you have posted.

I don't know what else more to say besides that. I just think you're wrong in many areas.

(Load time is a technical issue. I assume Bioware is dealing with it.)

I will agree IN GAME player base is very friendly. Best I have seen in a while. My guild is filled with really cool, laid back people who just want to have fun.

Edited by Arkerus

My computer is a 3.6ghz intel core duo with a 1 GB Nvidia 250 GTS overclocked

I never have long loading times I sure as hell don't load when I travel between planets. Given that my system is very much out of date I have to wonder what exactly are you trying to play this game with.

---------------

I like this game, the last thing I want is to play another elves and dwarves MMO. Yes we still have our mages, hunters, etc, but its still Star Wars.

I will say I completely agree with the space combat. Its a nice break from the grind, but growing up on SWG and seeing what an MMO is capable of I was and still am disappointed by this rail shooter.

Edited by ZackAlklazaris

there will always be fans and the game won't just "die" (unless EA isn't happy with the numbers and cans it...and that depends on the deal they struck with LA anyway)

BioWare is truly showing they are MMO noobs....poor decisions..lackluster patches seemingly done by incompetent coders.

A lot of people ARE going to leave because of all the downtime...you consolidate patches UNLESS it's an EMERGENCY (which almost NONE of these "unscheduled" maintenances were)...people aren't going to put up with it but for so long.

EAWare needs to get their crap together..that's a FACT.

Oh yeah! Those 4 hours IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT are just killer! ;)

In my opinion this is the first company I've ever played games with and they're maintenance schedules are a god-send. They do their maitenance as scheduled, and they if they don't complete it, they move it to another day. Most games will just say, "Hey, we have a 8 hour maintenance today in the middle of the day where everyone wants to play." Then 8 hours later, "The Maintenance has been extended a full 5 hours. Sorry for the inconvenience." Pfft. Nexon.

So seeing you complain, is laughable in the very least. Let's everyone leave the game now even though we're most likely asleep during the down time.

Edit: To the post above me. BioWare did mention that they planned to advance the Space Combat area in the future. It may not be open space (which I would freaking love btw) but I expect advances in the rail system if not more.

Edited by Waterush

Agree. This is all a matter of expectations. People hating this game are trying to justify just about anything because they think they didn't got what they thought they expected out of it.

How many of them, do you think, purchased 6 months subs thinking this would be the game to beat all games?

Never buy a 6 month sub for a game that is new; wait until you've played it some first. Then, if you don't like it, you won't feel obligated to spam the forums for the remaining 4 months or whatever of your sub.

Oh yeah! Those 4 hours IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT are just killer! ;)

In my opinion this is the first company I've ever played games with and they're maintenance schedules are a god-send. They do their maitenance as scheduled, and they if they don't complete it, they move it to another day. Most games will just say, "Hey, we have a 8 hour maintenance today in the middle of the day where everyone wants to play." Then 8 hours later, "The Maintenance has been extended a full 5 hours. Sorry for the inconvenience." Pfft. Nexon.

So seeing you complain, is laughable in the very least. Let's everyone leave the game now even though we're most likely asleep during the down time.

It's not in the middle of the night everywhere. :csw_yoda:

Many MMORPGs (and other types or MMOs split their maintance by reigon).

Having said that Bioware are pretty quick with theirs, given that many MMORPGs would be 8+ hours where as SWTOR is rarely down for more than 4 and often for less.