A Solution for the PTS

TheNevet

No one plays on the test server. This is why patches are not tested on it.

This is what needs to happen:

1. Active players volunteer to have their characters pasted over to the test server.

2. Every patch goes to the test server a week in advance.

3. From that list of active player volunteers who can have their characters pasted over to the test server, each one that plays for an hour and submits a report gets a day of playtime credited to their account (or some other reward).

4. No one is going to play on the test server unless you make it worth their while.

5. ???

6. Profit!

Jokes aside, we seriously need to have these patches tested. Since no one is playing on the test server, something like this needs to be organized.

Edited by TheNevet

3. From that list of active player volunteers who can have their characters pasted over to the test server, each one that plays for an hour and submits a report gets a day of playtime credited to their account (or some other reward).
Heh, and this is why your idea would not work.

You failed to explain your reasoning so I'm going to ignore that and continue...

I'd play an hour a week on the PTS and bug hunt for a 1-day credit. Hell, I'd do it just to keep from having maintenance twice a week. And I'm sure there are many other players who also would.

Edit: Oh, wait, I see. You're implying that Bioware/Lucasarts/EA won't fork over a 1-day credit for testers. I played for 1-month free for buying the game. I have another month coming free for having a level 50. Your argument holds no water.

Also, this thread has some suggestions to the same idea. I wasn't going to suggest the downtime difference between test servers and live servers, but it is certainly a possibility. Worked great on SWG. I'd have never played on the test server there if it hadn't been up when the live servers were down.

I'm not exactly sure what the gain is by keeping the test server down with the live servers, but I think there would be more to gain by keeping it up. There are plenty of hardcores like me that would at least play on the test server those few hours a week and bug hunt.

Edited by TheNevet

Edit: Oh, wait, I see. You're implying that Bioware/Lucasarts/EA won't fork over a 1-day credit for testers. I played for 1-month free for buying the game. I have another month coming free for having a level 50. Your argument holds no water.
No, you're wrong on all counts. You paid for your initial month in the purchase price of the game. We received a free month to quell community outrage over ranked Warzones being pulled at the last moment, after players had already resubscribed due to the promise of their addition to the game.

That said, I'm not saying that it wouldn't happen because the developers and/or producer wouldn't want to, but because they can't. What you propose is not a feasible financial model, and would run the game's profitability into the ground.