Why couldn't tonight's patch wait til next Tuesday?

Ignicity

That has to be it: the matrix cubes that were disappearing because of the bug are probably impossible to restore without running a back-up, and if they waited another 5 days it'd be many times more difficult to pull from whatever restore point they're using to replace all the deleted matrix cubes, etc. They were probably worried about facing thousands of new tickets each day they waited to fix it.

They could easily keep the proper backups handy for another 4 days so that's not the reason. They probably thought that it affected enough players to warrant an emergency fix. Besides the servers were down for what? less than 2 hours?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems every week we have this same issue pop up.

Weekly scheduled maintenance occurs. They implement a new patch. That patch breaks something. We get a second maintenance period for the week.

Week after week after week.

To top it all off, for both scheduled and unscheduled maintenance, they take the servers down during peak oceanic play times. Now before everyone attempts to school me in the fact that this is an american game, which I clearly already know, lets have a think about the root issue here.

Why aren't they testing these patches before implementing them?

One maintenance period per week should be more than enough.

The server was down for ~2 hours. I'm not certain exactly when it came back up as I was just playing a single player game. At around 5:15am ET I noticed it was back up. It went down at 3am for me. That's nothing to fret about.

Look, heres the bottomline...................REGARDLESS whether or not it needs to be taken down because of blah blah blah, THE TIME THEY ARE TAKEN DOWN IS THE KEY ISSUE MOST OF US ARE IRATE ABOUT.

Do I need to draw a picture? Speak slower? Break out a megaphone?????

The time they take them down needs to be addressed. Again, the time they take them down needs to be addressed.

One more time? The time they take them down needs to be addressed......

PUSH THE SERVER TIME MAINT OUT ABOUT 3 HOURS AND A MAJORITY OF US WOULD BE OK WITH IT.

But thats pretty freaking hard isnt it Bio? Its bad enough you guys break your own game, but can't work with us on something we've been asking for since day one...

One more thing......Where is Bio regarding this issue? Are they reading this? Do they even give a gddmn????

No wonder they have a reputation like they do. And its only getting worse. Their silence speaks volumes..........

I'm on the east coast but my play time is late due to my work schedule for the past year and a half. I'm usually on til 6-8am. I deal with every single downtime that occurs. I don't freak out because this is how every single mmo I've ever played worked.

The server was down for ~2 hours. I'm not certain exactly when it came back up as I was just playing a single player game. At around 5:15am ET I noticed it was back up. It went down at 3am for me. That's nothing to fret about.

Your statement of it takes more time to boot up alone because of the memory checks. No, wouldn't matter if they are on VM, which more likely they all are, considering BioWare's large purchase last year.

http://www.dellstorage.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=2450

You seemed to take a hostile stance when I asked what makes you think they are physical serves, not sure why you did, but hey, this is the forums, I can understand.

I see a lot of people think that the regular maintenance is all about fixing stuff. In a patch maybe, but that is likely not at all what occurs during "maintenace" mode. System scans, backups, scanning accounts, whatever they feel like doing, combing over logs.

I concur, they need to have less downtime, their current methodology is making a lot of their client base upset.

Your statement of it takes more time to boot up alone because of the memory checks. No, wouldn't matter if they are on VM, which more likely they all are, considering BioWare's large purchase last year.

http://www.dellstorage.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=2450

You seemed to take a hostile stance when I asked what makes you think they are physical serves, not sure why you did, but hey, this is the forums, I can understand.

I see a lot of people think that the regular maintenance is all about fixing stuff. In a patch maybe, but that is likely not at all what occurs during "maintenace" mode. System scans, backups, scanning accounts, whatever they feel like doing, combing over logs.

I concur, they need to have less downtime, their current methodology is making a lot of their client base upset.

You might want to notice that the post you quoted from me was the first post I made in this thread. You're ranting at me about something someone else stated. And to be honest, your argument is superfluous. When a company has 1.3 million subscribers, it doesn't matter when they do maintenance someone is going to be unhappy. They've chosen to do so at a time when the least amount of people are going to be impacted. That makes sense from a business standpoint. The people who play during that time (me included) are never going to change the schedule by complaining. They're going to patch when they feel they need to patch. Stressing over it will accomplish exactly nothing, aside from maybe getting you so heated that you don't realize that the person you're arguing with isn't actually the person you were arguing with. Why freak out? What's the point?

Apparently Matrix Cubes are game breaking.

They appear to be for some people looking at the posts of on the forums about it.

I even saw a couple "Not having my matrix cube makes me never want to play this game again" posts ...

The sad thing is, BW is in a no win situation, no matter when they do maintenance, it is going to affect someone's somewhere play times and they will come here and cry about it. If they wait to patch, people come here to cry, if they patch now, people come here to cry, if they post they are working on an issue, people come here to cry it isn't fast enough, if they don't post they are working on it, people come here to cry that BW is ignoring them, it is pathetic really ...

Edited by Balrizangor

Servers are already up. Why are people still complaining? Just go play the game and have fun.

Because we need to voice our displeasure so that, in the future, before Bioware decides to do emergency maintenance to fix a trivial issue, they'll ask themselves: "Hey, can this wait half a week?" and then NOT do an emergency maintenance when the answer is yes.

And who knows, maybe this also be a wakeup call for them to actually use the darn PTS so this sort of bug never even HITS the live servers.

One more thing......Where is Bio regarding this issue? Are they reading this? Do they even give a gddmn????

I'd be willing to bet they don't.

Everytime a large number of threads appear about a common issue and a Mod starts locking them and directing everyone to a single common thread, the first thought I have is: "Oh, this is something they'll never, ever listen to us about, that's why they're funneling everything into one easy-to-ignore thread."

It's pretty easy to go through the General and Customer Service forums and look for old threads that have an enormous number of replies. Almost all of them are threads that originally started as a multitude of threads about a single issue. You'll also see in the large majority of those threads not a single thing was posted by a Dev or any other BW representative, unless it was to close the thread when it got too big for the forum to handle.

It really does look like they don't care.

Edited by Fuzzytoad

*****es gonna *****. Fact of life. No one can make everyone happy.

True, nothing can be done to make everyone happy. However, something can be done about making the exact same group of players unhappy every single time an "emergency" patch gets put out.

Edited by Fuzzytoad

I'd be willing to bet they don't.

Everytime a large number of threads appear about a common issue and a Mod starts locking them and directing everyone to a single common thread, the first thought I have is: "Oh, this is something they'll never, ever listen to us about, that's why they're funneling everything into one easy-to-ignore thread."

It's pretty easy to go through the General and Customer Service forums and look for old threads that have an enormous number of replies. Almost all of them are threads that originally started as a multitude of threads about a single issue. You'll also see in the large majority of those threads not a single thing was posted by a Dev or any other BW representative, unless it was to close the thread when it got too big for the forum to handle.

It really does look like they don't care.

With that in mind, I think I'll post in this thread every day until they respond. Let's see how long it takes