Why couldn't tonight's patch wait til next Tuesday?

Ignicity

Seems every week we have this same issue pop up.

Weekly scheduled maintenance occurs. They implement a new patch. That patch breaks something. We get a second maintenance period for the week.

Week after week after week.

To top it all off, for both scheduled and unscheduled maintenance, they take the servers down during peak oceanic play times. Now before everyone attempts to school me in the fact that this is an american game, which I clearly already know, lets have a think about the root issue here.

Why aren't they testing these patches before implementing them?

One maintenance period per week should be more than enough.

Edited by Ignicity

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like my matrix cube

O-M-G!!! A very limited number of items for one gear slot risk being broken for 4 more days!

Quick men! (and women)! Haul down the servers, this glaring game-breaking flaw shall not stand!

/sarcasm

Seriously Bioware. How about a bit of perspective on what's a major fault & what isn't?

O-M-G!!! A very limited number of items for one gear slot risk being broken for 4 more days!

Quick men! (and women)! Haul down the servers, this glaring game-breaking flaw shall not stand!

/sarcasm

Seriously Bioware. How about a bit of perspective on what's a major fault & what isn't?

To put things into perspective, WoW had 8 hours of maintenance last Tuesday.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4877377912

SW:TOR only had less than 4. With today's maintenance, it will still be less than WoW's maintenance for this week.

SW:TOR only had less than 4. With today's maintenance, it will still be less than WoW's maintenance for this week.

Personally, I'd prefer they take the servers down for 8 hours at a time once a week, if it is going to eliminate the problem. Sadly, I doubt it will.

Personally, I'd prefer they take the servers down for 8 hours at a time once a week, if it is going to eliminate the problem. Sadly, I doubt it will.

Ok, but during US prime time

Hey kids they are not fixing the matrix shard problem it's just regular maintenance schedule to keep things in good perspective. Game works as intended thank you very much now go outside when the patch is underway since it's nice and sunny and it's good for you....

Wrong. On so many levels.

Tonight's maintenance is not the regular weekly scheduled maintenance.

Also: It's raining here. And it's night time.

Hey kids they are not fixing the matrix shard problem it's just regular maintenance schedule to keep things in good perspective. Game works as intended thank you very much now go outside when the patch is underway since it's nice and sunny and it's good for you....

Regular maintnance was last tuesday.

And no Mr. Mature, I'm not crawling out of my basement. I heard that it's dangerous outside (people, dragons, mad unicorns and all that stuff)

Ok, but during US prime time

Nah thanks.. When your country makes a game then they can set the downtime, but for now I like my downtime being in your prime time. Nice try though. Go stare in awe at the Coriolis effect, assuming you're an Aussie.

Nah thanks.. When your country makes a game then they can set the downtime, but for now I like my downtime being in your prime time. Nice try though. Go stare in awe at the Coriolis effect, assuming you're an Aussie.

Nice try, americano.

But no, I'm not an aussie.

Regular maintnance was last tuesday.

And no Mr. Mature, I'm not crawling out of my basement. I heard that it's dangerous outside (people, dragons, mad unicorns and all that stuff)

Wait wait wait... unicorns?!

/runs outside

All I see is this big dra----

One long maintenance wipes out one night's gaming entirely & unquestionably, whereas a short maintenance does potentially give you enough time to run a few dailies & send out some crew missions. It's not a full night's gaming, but you do get to "check base" with the game so-to-speak.

However two short maintenances mostly wipe out two nights gaming, versus one long maintenance completely wiping out one night's.

IMO, and I think most would probably agree:

Two nights largely unplayable is worse than one night totally unplayable.

If our theory that it's to fix a non-gamebreaking flaw (matrix cubes - seriously, use another relic for 4 more days), then that really calls Bioware's sense of proportion into question. Which was already highly questionable in the first place given precisely how many "gamebreaking" maintenance-requiring flaws they manage to find (I suspect it'd be one every 2-4 weeks, yeah?).

There's an adage in management that it's not about the perfect solution, it's about a good enough solution in an appropriate timeframe. If you accept that precept, Bioware has very poor management skills.

Edit: And if it genuinely is to fix something that's going to suddenly make the servers explode in thunder, lightning, and a spray of gerbil body-parts, then Bioware could avoid generating (as much) negative community feeling by actually saying what it is & explaining why it's worthy of an emergency maintenance. They're making a rod for their own backs here.

Edited by Lakhesis

One long maintenance wipes out one night's gaming entirely & unquestionably, whereas a short maintenance does potentially give you enough time to run a few dailies & send out some crew missions. It's not a full night's gaming, but you do get to "check base" with the game so-to-speak.

However two short maintenances mostly wipe out two nights gaming, versus one long maintenance completely wiping out one night's.

IMO, and I think most would probably agree:

Two nights largely unplayable is worse than one night totally unplayable.

If our theory that it's to fix a non-gamebreaking flaw (matrix cubes - seriously, use another relic for 4 more days), then that really calls Bioware's sense of proportion into question. Which was already highly questionable in the first place given precisely how many "gamebreaking" maintenance-requiring flaws they manage to find (I suspect it'd be one every 2-4 weeks, yeah?).

There's an adage in management that it's not about the perfect solution, it's about a good enough solution in an appropriate timeframe. If you accept that precept, Bioware has very poor management skills.

Edit: And if it genuinely is to fix something that's going to suddenly make the servers explode in thunder, lightning, and a spray of gerbil body-parts, then Bioware could avoid generating (as much) negative community feeling by actually saying what it is & explaining why it's worthy of an emergency maintenance. They're making a rod for their own backs here.

Playing in the GMT+8 timezone, I actually prefer shorter maintenances. It does not "mostly wipe out" gaming time. I can start playing at 7pm my time, assuming it does take that long.

WoW's maintenance is much later and completely eliminates 1 day of gaming. It's from 6pm my time till 2am.

SW:TOR's maintenace is only from 3pm to 7pm on 1 day, 2 days is an exception.

And SW:TOR's maintenance times rarely even meet 4 hours. It tends to finish in 2-3 hours time ahead of schedule.

Playing in the GMT+8 timezone, I actually prefer shorter maintenances. It does not "mostly wipe out" gaming time. I can start playing at 7pm my time, assuming it does take that long.

WoW's maintenance is much later and completely eliminates 1 day of gaming. It's from 6pm my time till 2am.

And SW:TOR's maintenance times rarely even meet 4 hours. It tends to finish in 2-3 hours time ahead of schedule.

Trying playing in the GMT+10 or +12. You'd lose 2 nights to this crap.

They need to fix the things they broke this week, so they can break new things (and then later fix them) next week.

Otherwise the amount of broken stuff will be so backed up it will be a feat to even log into the game.

Or something.

Hopefully you'd acknowledge that is a selfish convenience though? I don't mean that as a negative comment on yourself, but hopefully you would agree that significant portions of your swtor community are being messed around & in an MMO when the people you play with get discouraged it has a negative impact on your in-game opportunities too. Case in point, the US/EU dead server issues. When Bioware forces people to find something to do other than play SWTOR, they're actively encouraging them to stop playing SWTOR at all.

As it happens, tonight's maintenance makes no direct difference to me either because I'm going to the theatre anyway. My concerns are related to Bioware's ongoing management approach & its effect on server communities.

So the more significant part of the problem for me is that two maintenances a week should require servers-will-explode justification. It should be an exceptional occurrence in the once-a-year range.

It should absolutely not be a monthly event. If it is the company needs to seriously look to either improve their code, improve their management, or both. I don't think they'll be able to make a quantum-leap in their coding reliability, so that leaves better management of scheduling, customer communications & fault prioritisation.

Edited by Lakhesis

/sarcasm

Also other quest items got bugged... the cubes are important for some players, too. Four hours won't hurt anything, trust me. You're gonna make it!

not sure what prime time is, 3-8pm?, they must think that everyone playing this game is a student or has a 8-5 job and no family. Most nights I can't play till 1030 or 11 and then maint is an hour later.... kinda pointless.

BIO IS BECOMING THE THREE STOOGES OF MMO DEV COMPANIES..............They are borderline comics......

I mean after awhile, this is just getting hilarious. How bad is it that they keep breaking their own game? How utterly embarrassing..................

How embarrassing and sad Bio has become...........And no, they will never discuss this topic with us.