Fresh 50 Gear Challenge

han-shot-first-

Hello!

Here's the situation; I just dinged 50 and have no idea where or how to start gearing. I'm hoping that others who know where to get the good gear at can help point me in the right direction. I'm open to any suggestions on how to make the most of my class so bring it on.

Me

Class: Powertech

Spec: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GoMrdkrkGRZbcbZ0c.1

Gameplay Focus: PvP

Resources

350K Credits

1997 WZ Commendations

400 Armormech

400 Cybertech

400 Armstech

So where do I start gearing? Are any of those tradeskills I have access to worth anything? Rumor has it that the mods you can make as a cybertech are useless compared to ones you can get by doing some dailies.

Where do I start???

Thanks!

For pvp go to the vendors pertaining to your class in the combat area of fleet and buy the recruit gear and some bm pieces if you can afford them. Even if you lose some of your main stat, expertise trumps the main stat for pvp in this game. It is costly for a new 50 (around 300k credits) but the teams you queue with will be a lot kinder to you if you buy this gear than if you queue with no expertise gear.

buy whatever pieces of battlemaster you can, fill the rest out with recruits (EVERY slot, implants and ear too!)

grind warzones, buy more battlemaster as you come to afford it.

some of your crafts can make augements, make the ones appropriate to your class.

buy or craft battlemaster gear - dont settle for anything less than crit crafted (augement slot).

start moving mods into your crit crafted set.

repeat last two steps with warhero gear when you can.

repeat last two steps with conqueror gear when you can (it may even be have been added to the game by then, lol)

I recommend purchasing your chest piece of the battlemaster set, fill out every other slot with recruit, and grind warzones to pick up the rest of your main body set for your class. If you're an advanced prototype, pick up the combat tech set. If you're a pyro pick up eliminator. If you're a shieldtech or tanking hybrid, no idea, recommend DPS gear as shielding stats are fairly useless in PVP (tech and force attacks bypass shields)

once you've purchased the chest fill out every other slot with recruit, and I mean all of em.

Buy recruit gear on every slot possible except weapon.

Buy Battlemaster Weapon.

Farm your matrix cube.

Then you have to evaluate stats if you want to go implants/earpiece first or if your setbonus is that good you should look up which item you wanna get first. If you need the setbonus consider your items carefully - if boots and gloves give nice stats, take them cause it's the cheapest way.

Remember that there are wrists and waists with modification slots. Research if highend-mods benefit you in exchange for a little expertise.

Edited by Mitsch

Hello!

Here's the situation; I just dinged 50 and have no idea where or how to start gearing. I'm hoping that others who know where to get the good gear at can help point me in the right direction. I'm open to any suggestions on how to make the most of my class so bring it on.

Me

Class: Powertech

Spec: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GoMrdkrkGRZbcbZ0c.1

Resources

350K Credits

1997 WZ Commendations

400 Armormech

400 Cybertech

400 Armstech

So where do I start gearing? Are any of those tradeskills I have access to worth anything? Rumor has it that the mods you can make as a cybertech are useless compared to ones you can get by doing some dailies.

Where do I start???

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ouch, you should have atleast shot for 3k ranked warzone coms. You can save up to 4k. It takes 3.5k to buy a hero weapon. Just buy full recruit gear and your bm weapon and then go for atleast 4 pieces to get your set bonus in bm gear. Really bummer on no ranked warzone coms, they cost 30 warzone coms to get 10. The recruit gear is not bad if you look at the stats on the bm gear it's not a mind blowing improvement so you should do ok.

Resources

350K Credits

1997 WZ Commendations

Thanks!

Buy some battlemaster gear with commendations, rest Recruit with credits. And go PVP. Fail through PVP till you get enough expertise, then roflown everyone with your Pyro.

Am I doing it right? :p

yes.

as already stated, both tech and force attacks ignore shields. both these attack types are very common.

the differences between tank gear and dps gear, shields and foci, are such that the dps/focus is always the winning choice.

this is true across all classes