SWTOR “solid, successful, profitable” - Riccitiello

Neloth

An interesting statement from EA CEO. Especially that part about setting success criteria and people getting single minded and focused on one product in a large portifolio.

Riccitiello: Investors need to “catch up” with EA, SWTOR “solid, successful, profitable”

EA’s stock took a bit of a beating in the wake of its financial briefing earlier this week, but CEO John Riccitiello says investors are behind the times.

“I think investors are eventually going to catch up with the company,” he told CNBC’s Mad Money.

“We’ve beat our guidance on the top line, came in at the every high end on APS, and guided a 38% APS growth in the coming year, after launching a whole bunch of blockbusters.

“So: Nothing to apologise for. I think it’s good now; [when] it gets better, investors are gonna see it.”

Host Jim Craner suggested investors had become more excited about the success of Star Wars: The Old Republic than was justified, and are disappointed as a result, a sentiment Riccitiello agreed with.

“When we originally started the franchise, our plan was to break 1 million subscribers. Our investment case was 1.2 million. We told the street yesterday we’re at 1.3 million,” he said.

“We happened to have an earnings call right in the launch period, where we hit 1.7 million,” he added, ruefully. “We have an obligation to tell them the facts. Realistically, I think it’s a solid success.”

Riccitiello reiterated comments from his the investor briefing in which he stressed that EA never planned for The Old Republic to ourperform its top five franchises, like FIFA and Madden.

“Some people are treating it like it’s the only thing that matters. For what it’s worth, it’s a solid, successful, profitable franchise,” he concluded.

Edited by Neloth

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course they'll keep saying that, even if it has 100k subs left.

Doesn't change the fact that the game is far less than everybody expected. Besides, with the current incompetence in it's development I don't think it will go anywhere far.

An interesting statement from EA CEO. Especially that part about setting success criteria and people getting single minded and focused on one product in a large portifolio.

Riccitiello: Investors need to “catch up” with EA, SWTOR “solid, successful, profitable”

EA’s stock took a bit of a beating in the wake of its financial briefing earlier this week, but CEO John Riccitiello says investors are behind the times.

“I think investors are eventually going to catch up with the company,” he told CNBC’s Mad Money.

“We’ve beat our guidance on the top line, came in at the every high end on APS, and guided a 38% APS growth in the coming year, after launching a whole bunch of blockbusters.

“So: Nothing to apologise for. I think it’s good now; [when] it gets better, investors are gonna see it.”

Host Jim Craner suggested investors had become more excited about the success of Star Wars: The Old Republic than was justified, and are disappointed as a result, a sentiment Riccitiello agreed with.

“When we originally started the franchise, our plan was to break 1 million subscribers. Our investment case was 1.2 million. We told the street yesterday we’re at 1.3 million,” he said.

“We happened to have an earnings call right in the launch period, where we hit 1.7 million,” he added, ruefully. “We have an obligation to tell them the facts. Realistically, I think it’s a solid success.”

Riccitiello reiterated comments from his the investor briefing in which he stressed that EA never planned for The Old Republic to ourperform its top five franchises, like FIFA and Madden.

“Some people are treating it like it’s the only thing that matters. For what it’s worth, it’s a solid, successful, profitable franchise,” he concluded.

Wow, this guy is terrified of getting fired. I give him 2 months before investors, stockholders, board members throw him under the bus.

They are going to say what ever they need to in order to not feel like complete idiots for failing to deliver a sloid MMORPG. This game is failing fast and the only reason they want to do press releases is to save face before the game goes under. They poured more money into this game then any other apparently, but its no where to be seen in the atmosphere or dev of the game. This game falls very short on every aspect you would expect to have in even the most basic of MMORPGs but in EAs eyes and BioWares, its oh so complete and a very good product. In the consumers eyes, it is the furthest thing from a well planned and thought out MMORPG and in all honesty the only real thing that this game is standing on is the franchise tag " Star Wars" and it falls very short in every aspect of what the game should be.

Doesn't change the fact that the game is far less than everybody expected. Besides, with the current incompetence in it's development I don't think it will go anywhere far.

Not everybody. I expected a persistent sequel to KOTOR with regular updates and the ability to play with my real-life friends (something lacking from KOTOR). So they are giving me exactly what I expected.

I'm sorry that the PVP and raiding crowd are unhappy but I've found that to be generally the case with them. For my part I am happy with what I have and am seeing coming up.

Wow, this guy is terrified of getting fired. I give him 2 months before investors, stockholders, board members throw him under the bus.

I bet he will continue in his job until he decides he wants something else. He clearly stated what the investment case target for SWTOR is: 1.2 million subs. Meaning they will make as much profit as they originally intended with that many subscriptions.

At 4 months from launch we don't know nearly enough to judge the long-term success of the endeavor. That data will come to us over the next 3-6 months.

Speak for yourself. The game was exactly what I expected based off of what was advertised. They've touted this game as a traditional MMO with an emphasis on story since the beginning. It's not Bioware's fault that fans and investors worked themselves into a frenzy of hype.

Bet you the game keeps at least 500k or more lol. Game is s good as I expected it, just beacause legacy is a nice tool involvd with all the codex stuff. Hardcore ish raiders still enoy the endgme whih is challening if you want it to be.

Not everybody. I expected a persistent sequel to KOTOR with regular updates and the ability to play with my real-life friends (something lacking from KOTOR). So they are giving me exactly what I expected.

I'm sorry that the PVP and raiding crowd are unhappy but I've found that to be generally the case with them. For my part I am happy with what I have and am seeing coming up.

The game is everything I expected it to be and more. I'm totally happy with it and look forward to future updates and many years of play time.

Exactly and those negtive costumers shold know where the door is.

Edited by vsalcedo

They are going to say what ever they need to in order to not feel like complete idiots for failing to deliver a sloid MMORPG. This game is failing fast and the only reason they want to do press releases is to save face before the game goes under. They poured more money into this game then any other apparently, but its no where to be seen in the atmosphere or dev of the game. This game falls very short on every aspect you would expect to have in even the most basic of MMORPGs but in EAs eyes and BioWares, its oh so complete and a very good product. In the consumers eyes, it is the furthest thing from a well planned and thought out MMORPG and in all honesty the only real thing that this game is standing on is the franchise tag " Star Wars" and it falls very short in every aspect of what the game should be.

Its not failing fast. Its improving and improving, unrealstic and immature cant see that because they expect the revolutionary mmo which fills a standard no mmo can ever live up to. Its actually improving so much that you as someone who dislikes the game, cant stop talking about. I think thats a pretty good achievement on BWs part.

This game has impressed me in every aspect so far. I cant even take you seriously because I got the impression you are playing a completely different game than me.

If you guys are so freaking down on this game why continue to play?! Just quit already and stop spamming the forums with this trash.

Seeing the same people post these same threads is getting very old.

Gotta love the circus they're putting on for us.

Give 'em the old Razzle Dazzle

Razzle dazzle 'em

Show 'em the first rate sorceror you are

Long as you keep 'em way off balance

How can they spot you've got no talent

Razzle Dazzle 'em

And they'll make you a star!

Edited by Dezzi

It's not Razzle Dazzle.

The belief is that TOR needs 500k subscribers to remain profitable, it still has 1.3m and will see a large returning influx when tranfers happen. This is why the CEO is not overly concerned with TOR. They recouped all creation costs from sales and continue to operate well above operation costs.

You guys may not pleased but to EA, all is well and good.

Edited by SajmanPeetee

Um they were the ones hyping the hell out of this game while hiding as much about it as possible.

So basically all the backlash and player disappointment was saved up for launch since most users didn't get to play it or had little info.

What did they think was going to happen?

It's not Razzle Dazzle.

The belief is that TOR needs 500k subscribers to remain profitable, it still has 1.3m and will see a large returning influx when tranfers happen. This is why the CEO is not overly concerned with TOR. They recouped all costs from sales and continue to operate well above operation costs.

You guys may not pleased but to EA, all is well and good.

What indication do we have that we'll see a "returning influx" of players when server transfers finally arrive? Hope? Hope isn't enough for this player, and I'm not sure it's enough for investors either.

The game is currently losing subscribers--1.1 million lost or not retained to date. That's a 46% loss from the original 2.4 million boxes sold over the last five months. Almost 1 out of every 2 players is not sticking around past their 30-day trial or are cancelling after subscribing at least once.

They can put up their smoke and mirrors (my new favorite phrase), but it doesn't change that the fact that game is losing people. That's not doom and gloom, that's the reality of the situation.

I can't see how--when faced with this reality--the suits at EA can so flippantly tip-toe around like nothing's wrong.

Edited by Dezzi

The belief is that TOR needs 500k subscribers to remain profitable, it still has 1.3m and will see a large returning influx when tranfers happen. This is why the CEO is not overly concerned with TOR.

On the other hand the 1.3m has all those free month subs.

Also basically all of my friends will be getting D3 - so another good portion of the playerbase will probably go there (I hope just temporarily - since I dont like D3).

If SWTOR was supposed to be a co-op online version of KOTOR, they should've marketed as such, but they didn't. They marketed SWTOR as a "triple-a title MMORPG." So yeah, the people here wanting an mmo are disappointed, which is the vast majority of the playerbase.

Good for you that you got the game you wanted, I'm sure empty servers will improve you and your friend's immersion. 23% and counting down.

I bet he will continue in his job until he decides he wants something else. He clearly stated what the investment case target for SWTOR is: 1.2 million subs. Meaning they will make as much profit as they originally intended with that many subscriptions.

At 4 months from launch we don't know nearly enough to judge the long-term success of the endeavor. That data will come to us over the next 3-6 months.

^ People aren't too bright to understand this.....

"OMG THIS GAME JUST CAME OUT AND DIDN'T FOLLOW WHAT * I * WANTED AND DIDN'T KILL WoW !!! F*$& YOU BIOWARE I'M LEAVING!!!!!" type of posts are far too common....

I bet you $14.99 that you he will still be CEO in two months.

On the other hand the 1.3m has all those free month subs.

Also basically all of my friends will be getting D3 - so another good portion of the playerbase will probably go there (I hope just temporarily - since I dont like D3).

D3 needs to come out now. The players who just want to go pew pew pew while taking on 30 mobs will flock to it in a heartbeat and hopefully leave the MMORPG genre intact and not keep trying to turn it into an e-sport

^ People aren't too bright to understand this.....

"OMG THIS GAME JUST CAME OUT AND DIDN'T FOLLOW WHAT * I * WANTED AND DIDN'T KILL WoW !!! F*$& YOU BIOWARE I'M LEAVING!!!!!" type of posts are far too common....

What isn't too bright is thinking that people should stay "loyal" to a product from which they no longer derive fun. Video games are leisure activity, and on a relative scale of the expense of entertainment, very cheap compared to other hobbys. Of course the audience is fickle. If something sucks, they drop it and play something else. It isn't rocket science, nor is it some sense of "entitlement." I know, it's ridiculous these days to expect a product/service that you pay for to function as advertised. We should all just shut up and let BW release patch after patch with the ardent hope that one day a decent game will be available to play. Insanity.

Um they were the ones hyping the hell out of this game while hiding as much about it as possible.

So basically all the backlash and player disappointment was saved up for launch since most users didn't get to play it or had little info.

What did they think was going to happen?

Wow really?

They gave plenty of info prior to the games release. Upon entering beta everything they had announced thus far was in the game. So we got exactly what they said we would get. The people that think otherwise assumed certain things were in the game. Thats not biowares fault lol.

This game will be perfectly fine. Around 5 months after launch and the game is still sitting over 1 million subs, thats pretty darn good.

Wow really?

They gave plenty of info prior to the games release. Upon entering beta everything they had announced thus far was in the game. So we got exactly what they said we would get. The people that think otherwise assumed certain things were in the game. Thats not biowares fault lol.

This game will be perfectly fine. Around 5 months after launch and the game is still sitting over 1 million subs, thats pretty darn good.

starting from 2.4 million potential subs. l0l so sad.:rak_01: