Vs mercenaries in PvP (and other KB spammers)

Dkrewe

It just seems like I can't win. I am lvl 22 so far but they just keep knocking me back and snaring me and rooting me and seem to have no gap in their dps. Vs a Mercenary I just can't seem to do ANYTHING with my Sentinel.

Can any experienced pvp Sentinels help me out? I am running the Watchman spec and fully unloading Cauterize plus all three strikes of Overload Saber seems to do nothing.

I play a combat spec so not much help in how to play but will say the problem that I can see right now is that you are really low level. Wait until you get more of your abilities and have more points in your talent tree. Things will get better.

So I'm a 50 Watchman. What you want to do is bait the knockback. Don't leap in, run in. Then after getting knockbacked you'll leap onto him. If your leap is on CD you can use force camo or transcendence to gain speed and run up on him. Then hit him with crippling throw to snare him so he can't run.

Later you'll be better at killing him when you have more abilities but that plan of attack stays the same mostly. If you're going all PVP you can also spec into inflammation (although I don't) so that your cauterize slows him down a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
So I'm a 50 Watchman. What you want to do is bait the knockback. Don't leap in, run in. Then after getting knockbacked you'll leap onto him. If your leap is on CD you can use force camo or transcendence to gain speed and run up on him. Then hit him with crippling throw to snare him so he can't run.

Later you'll be better at killing him when you have more abilities but that plan of attack stays the same mostly. If you're going all PVP you can also spec into inflammation (although I don't) so that your cauterize slows him down a bit.

Quoted for truth. I try to never open with leap against someone unless they're right about to die and need to be rooted ASAP (or Huttball fire trick). Walk in and bait the knockback. If leap is on CD, snare them before they knock you back with leg slash. Combat gets a movement impairment break on camo, which is useful against snipers.

Against a proper sniper I'll sneak up to their position and attack, get cauterize off ASAP -> they knock back -> I wait until ambush is almost done and cloak, snare them and go into my rotation and look for opportunities to use force stasis to interrupt them during series of shots if they don't have their CC immunity up (and prepare to use my defensive CD's if necessary). If you block the ambush you also block the takedown so it's a timing thing - cauterize is to be doing some damage to them while you're out of range without blowing your 10m ranged CDs. It's not an easy fight but its very doable with the right timing and tactics. Of course a smart sniper will save their knockback for when you use precision slash but I've found when you're the smart guy in the fight its pretty rare that the other guy is as well.

This is pretty much the best advice you'll see, along with the individual talking about how to take on snipers. Do all you can to avoid using leap. It's a gap closer that should be used after they use a gap opener as a counter, especially with mercenaries who get a knockback that propels you halfway across the map.

Never forget how useful Force camo and transcendence are. Wait until somebody is charging up some hard-hitting ability on you and camo at the last second so they are both interrupted and lose you as a target. If you are watchman specced, you are a caster's worst nightmare, especially tracer missile spammers. 6 second CD interrupt that disables the only ability bad mercs ever use for 4 seconds, that is then up right at the end of their next cast for it? Yeah, bad players will stand there and have absolutely no idea what to do.

I just skimmed sorry if this has been said, but Put your back against something if you possibly can, sandbags can clip you and the vertical rails in the huttball arena work good too. That works for any knock backs