Respec Reset

It resets on Tuesday doesn't it? I respecced yesterday and it said it was going to cost like 20k, but I ignored it cause it always says its gonna cost money after the reset but it never does, but then today I went to respec and it was up to 50k and it actually took the money. Has anyone else run into this yet?

LOL yeah i have noo freakin clue how that spec reset works, ive reset 2 weeks apart and been chanrged, reset 2 days apart and not been charged.

What is the point of even charging people to reset? now that they have legacies they now corner the mmo market on money sinks.

What genius thinks its a good idea to charge people a fortune(or any money at all) because they want to switch to a different role to fill out an ops or fp group. I just dont understand the logic behind punishing people for trying to make the game better and more enjoyable for the entire server.

I might be wrong, but I think it's 7 days from your first respec, not your last. I went through a period where I was doing it quite a bit, and know for sure it went down to 0 well before I had let 7 days pass without a respec.

ya. I would even pay like 500k-1m for legacy dual spec or something where you get dual spec across all your characters past present and future

The legacy field respec probably will be 500k-1m but it aint going to be a dual spec, it jsut lets you respec without going to the respec guy, and i really doubt it will be free, since they have some far out philosophy that players switchinbg roles to help other players is a bad thing.

Really? That sucks. I could've sworn that I've respecced before on like monday, then Tuesday it was free.

Normally, respec reset is 7 days since your last respec.

Occasionally, a patch with significant changes to skill trees will be released and those players affected will be given a respec upon logging into that character.

But otherwise, no, respecs resets have always been 7days since your last respec.

The legacy field respec probably will be 500k-1m but it aint going to be a dual spec, it jsut lets you respec without going to the respec guy, and i really doubt it will be free, since they have some far out philosophy that players switchinbg roles to help other players is a bad thing.

Sarcasm much? A lot of players who want to switch roles do not want to do it to help others. They want to do it to min/max for roles--the healer or tank who want to switch to DPS spec to do dailies, the raider who wants to switch to a PVP spec for PVP, the DPS who wants to respec from a single target DPS spec to more of an AOE spec for a particular fight, etc.

As it stands, players have two options. One is to continue to spec to min/max for whatever your doing, in which case there is an increasing cost involved. The other option is to save your credits and not respec. This means not min/max'ing for each and every little thing they want to do.

Does no one find it slightly unreasonable to want to change specs willy nilly with no consequences?

Sarcasm much? A lot of players who want to switch roles do not want to do it to help others. They want to do it to min/max for roles--the healer or tank who want to switch to DPS spec to do dailies, the raider who wants to switch to a PVP spec for PVP, the DPS who wants to respec from a single target DPS spec to more of an AOE spec for a particular fight, etc.

As it stands, players have two options. One is to continue to spec to min/max for whatever your doing, in which case there is an increasing cost involved. The other option is to save your credits and not respec. This means not min/max'ing for each and every little thing they want to do.

Does no one find it slightly unreasonable to want to change specs willy nilly with no consequences?

Well i personaly Have a guardian tank and a commando healer and i respec for ops when my guild needs it or in theory if flash points were worth doing i would respec to help fill out a group if needed.

If other people are respecing for pvp or to do dailies easier , from a developers perspective whos trying to get people to want to play his game WHY would you punish them? HOW could you possibly concieve that it is a good idea to associate a cost with trying to enjoy their game?

I have absolutely no clue why you think its important to have consequences for changing your spec.

Edited by Mallorik

the DPS who wants to respec from a single target DPS spec to more of an AOE spec for a particular fight, etc.

I hated playing Demonology, but it was the spec we needed to get through Anub'arak heroic (because we were doing it at level before ICC was released, and did it top 100 world). But to you, I should have just sat out for that (even though Demo on that fight was easily top damage on the adds) and let another DPS come in, rather than respec from Affliction. That or if it were Tor's model, I should have been paying a quarter million credits more a week out of my own pocket to help the guild. Fortunately the other game didn't have this problem.

I don't believe many here are advocating such a thing, and neither am I. Field Respec will have at least one consequence, a legacy unlock that will probably be quite expensive--more expensive than most people have paid for every respec they've ever done since launch, combined. If the implementation is simply "skip the trainer, but still pay the cost", on top of the legacy unlock, I'll be every disappointed, especially when considering they could have just made the initial unlock credit sink greater. It is listed under "convenience", after all.

I play a sage. For PvE, I mainly hybrid dps, but I also occasionally heal. In PvP, I really enjoy playing full balance (dps) and healing. I understand that there need to be money sinks in the game to prevent heavy inflation. This is currently done through repair and respec fees and GTN fees. What I don't understand is why someone that enjoys playing different specs for PvP and PvE or someone that can't PvP and PvE effectively using the same spec should have to pay more than everyone else. Having played a game where this problem has been fixed, it is quite annoying to have to replay through the same frustrations. It makes swtor feel old and not in a good, nostalgic way. Make the system flatter and simpler. Why should someone that respecs 10 times a week pay almost 100 times the amount the person that respecs 3 times a week?

I play a sage. For PvE, I mainly hybrid dps, but I also occasionally heal. In PvP, I really enjoy playing full balance (dps) and healing. I understand that there need to be money sinks in the game to prevent heavy inflation. This is currently done through repair and respec fees and GTN fees. What I don't understand is why someone that enjoys playing different specs for PvP and PvE or someone that can't PvP and PvE effectively using the same spec should have to pay more than everyone else. Having played a game where this problem has been fixed, it is quite annoying to have to replay through the same frustrations. It makes swtor feel old and not in a good, nostalgic way. Make the system flatter and simpler. Why should someone that respecs 10 times a week pay almost 100 times the amount the person that respecs 3 times a week?

Nobody HAS to pay more then anyone else. People that choose to change specs for whatever CHOOSE to pay that cost. I see posts everyday on these forums complaining about how easy this game is. If it is so easy, shouldn't it be possible to play effectively-maybe not at the absolute peak-but effectively, without respeccing?

In regards to "field respec", I am guessing that the convenience will be that you do not have to go to the trainer to respec, otherwise it would just be free infinite respecs.

Also, as I stated earlier, I do pay those same respec costs to respec to help my guild, so I would stand to gain if dual spec or free infinte respecs were introduced. That does not change my opinion that respec costs do not need to be reduced or eliminated.

I hated playing Demonology, but it was the spec we needed to get through Anub'arak heroic (because we were doing it at level before ICC was released, and did it top 100 world). But to you, I should have just sat out for that (even though Demo on that fight was easily top damage on the adds) and let another DPS come in, rather than respec from Affliction. That or if it were Tor's model, I should have been paying a quarter million credits more a week out of my own pocket to help the guild. Fortunately the other game didn't have this problem.

I don't believe many here are advocating such a thing, and neither am I. Field Respec will have at least one consequence, a legacy unlock that will probably be quite expensive--more expensive than most people have paid for every respec they've ever done since launch, combined. If the implementation is simply "skip the trainer, but still pay the cost", on top of the legacy unlock, I'll be every disappointed, especially when considering they could have just made the initial unlock credit sink greater. It is listed under "convenience", after all.

I never said a player should sit out, just that if they choose to respec, they should expect it not to be free.

I would not expect field respec to reduce or eliminate the cost for respeccing. IMO, there is NO way they could make the initial cost for field respec high enough to even begin to come close to the potential credit sink loss, while still keeping attainable for more than a very small minority. As it stands now, a player has to pick and choose when they will change spec, based on the cost. If field respec were to eliminate the costs associated with respeccing, there would be no reason not to respec for every little thing.

I don't understand why you think it is unreasonable to be able to respec with no consequences. You haven't given a single good reason other than saying like it or lump it.

If field respec were to eliminate the costs associated with respeccing, there would be no reason not to respec for every little thing.

And what's wrong with that? I imagine you are a long time MMO player who has gotten so used to the standard MMO ways of doing things you have trouble imagining it done any other way.

And what's wrong with that? I imagine you are a long time MMO player who has gotten so used to the standard MMO ways of doing things you have trouble imagining it done any other way.

I, like may others, simply feel that some choices should matter. I am neither a long time MMO'er nor what I would call a hardcore gamer. I played WOW from release and watched it deteriorate due to an influx of people with entitlement issues. I do not want this game to go down that same road. I do not mind putting forth a little effort to get the things I want.

If you wish to have everything handed to you, the pandas are over there.

I, like may others, simply feel that some choices should matter. I am neither a long time MMO'er nor what I would call a hardcore gamer. I played WOW from release and watched it deteriorate due to an influx of people with entitlement issues. I do not want this game to go down that same road. I do not mind putting forth a little effort to get the things I want.

There's difference between choices which matter and convenience.

Do you believe SWTOR has a larger percentage of players who are tanks/healers compared to WoW? It must have, because in SWTOR it's 1 tank & 1 heal for 2 dps, in WoW it's for 3 dps. So dps will have - as in WoW - longer queue times for the upcoming group finder. To reduce this queue time they need to make it feasable that players who are dps (i.e. in raids) can switch to tank/heal and tank/heal in flashpoints.

"Well use your raid tanks".

SWTOR has the same problem as WoW:

4 man: 1 tank, 1 heal, 2 dps

8 man: 2 tanks, 2 heals, 4 dps

16 man: 2-3 tanks, 4-5 heals, rest dps.

It doesnt scale - if you have enough tanks (heals) to satisfy the flashpoint groups there will not be enough dps to fill the raids for them. Or if you have just enough tanks (heals) to satisfy the raid groups you have too much dps for the flashpoints.

Basically the same reasons can be applied to PvP. A guy pvps most of the time (as dps) but wouldnt mind to tank/heal a flashpoint so he can reduce the queue time for all the guys who prefer to dps.

Constant respeccing like the current system is not an option - since the costs will scale too high.

Also there's a difference between making "respecs cost nothing" like you suggested and the WoW dualspec system (hey you know WoW ... why suggest something crazy like the respec cost nothing thing?"

Edited by Zocat

Those are the minority, not majority. This game is easy enough that you can do dailies with heal spec without any major change in time it takes to finish. Dedicated healers don't run around changing their build every time they want to do DPS and go back to healing for ops/FPs.

People do not constantly cahnge for PVP either. The numbers of skills that are different for a PVP to PVE spec are small and make very little difference in output and are mainly there to add utility for PVP. Most PVPers will just PVE with their PVP spec unless they need to change to fill a role.

If you wish to have everything handed to you, the pandas are over there.

You played wow from release but aren't a long time MMO'er? interesting

Which class I chose matters. Which advanced class I chose matters. Respecing exists to allow you to play different parts of your class. I would imagine that the cost associated with respecing is more in line with a need to limit inflation than to limit your ability to play different specs. Nothing is being handed to me by allowing me to play those different specs at a reduced or eliminated cost. It's actually quite the inverse. It takes far more time to learn how to play 4 or 5 specs than 1. It takes more time to gear those specs as well. Allowing people to switch between specs easily (as is done in many games such as Rift, WOW, D3) makes the game more interesting and allows for players to exhibit greater skill.

I never said a player should sit out, just that if they choose to respec, they should expect it not to be free.

I would not expect field respec to reduce or eliminate the cost for respeccing. IMO, there is NO way they could make the initial cost for field respec high enough to even begin to come close to the potential credit sink loss, while still keeping attainable for more than a very small minority. As it stands now, a player has to pick and choose when they will change spec, based on the cost. If field respec were to eliminate the costs associated with respeccing, there would be no reason not to respec for every little thing.

Well what you're saying, in effect, is that people who do respec to help the entire group should have less credits than everyone else. Which is quite frankly, neither a well thought out nor a just implementation. Further, if you think the idea you present will be good for the game's subscription numbers, you've not been following the MMO market for the last 5 years. You're in a tiny minority. Good luck with the free-to-play/pay-to-win niche game you're designing.