Operative Healer: getting solo'd by some classes, L2P?

Malanoth

Right, switched to healing on my Operative. I am used to healing in PvP coming from a Disc Priest in WoW (which I appreciate won't mean a lot to those who never have played it!) Anyway my Op has 1164 Expertise and full BM gear with 15040hp unbuffed, no Hero gear yet.

In PvP against some classes as a healer I can stay up, might dip low but spam heals usually solves the problem during those intense moments where I feel the DPS is blowing cd's to nuke me down. I dispel whenever I need to and use my cooldowns whenever I need to. Now my take on PvP healers is they should be able to stay up against any class 1 on 1. Because if they didn't there would never be healers in PvP such is the focus they get.

The problem I have is Assassins/Shadows, Sents/Mara's, and some Trooper/BH specs utterly destroy me 1 on 1 when I am starting with full health, cc breaker free, and defensive cooldowns up and ready. No matter what I do I cannot last more than 8-10 secs before they completely overcome my HoT's, healing and escape tools. What gives?

Is the burst or damage of these classes too high? This is when I end up on those 1 v 1 fights when I am singled out and chased across the entire warzone. Its not spammage from 3 diferent players focusing me down - I dont expect to live more thn 5 secs when that happens. Or is it L2P on my part? Quite happy to concede that fact, but what can I do against these classes 1 on 1 when I do nothing but spam heal and try to stay alive?

If the burst of these classes is too high with 1164 Expertise then PvP is really F***** UP. I even have damage reducing talents (-4% from Chem-resistant Inlays) and +9% to self healing (Survival Training 3/3) plus 15% more healing on top of that when a defensive cooldown is up (Med Shield 2/2). What can I do?

I would try to LoS them.

Slow them down then run around corner / pillar / anyobject...

I know it is basic PvP Strats... but i can't think of anything else right now..

Also, spam Diagno. scan. Most of the time they wil burn there interrupt on it.. then spam you 2s cast heal

As a healer you don't want to be in 1v1 situations.Operatives have stealth as an escape,use it to regroup with your team.

Operatives are currently the best healers,while that isn't saying much, they are pretty much unkillable if guarded.

So stay with a group or sneak around enemies

I would try to LoS them.

Slow them down then run around corner / pillar / anyobject...

I know it is basic PvP Strats... but i can't think of anything else right now..

Also, spam Diagno. scan. Most of the time they wil burn there interrupt on it.. then spam you 2s cast heal

I use Warzone furniture to do exactly that - pillar humping, I think its called. I do slow them as well, but I end up slowed too so it makes no difference. I don't spam Diag Scan but I do fake cast to burn up interrupts, howerver I'll try that as extra insurance from now on, thanks. I even blow my relics for extra oomph when I getting nuked by one of these classes.

I also blow my stun and vanish ability but dont seem to get it right as they seem to get back on me as I am running away or Assassins/Shadows will do an AoE thing that pops me right out again a split seconf after vanish (which is good play on their part I guess) I never backpedal btw, its strafe or run for me. These guys really hurt. Thanks for the tips.

I use Warzone furniture to do exactly that - pillar humping, I think its called. I do slow them as well, but I end up slowed too so it makes no difference. I don't spam Diag Scan but I do fake cast to burn up interrupts, howerver I'll try that as extra insurance from now on, thanks. I even blow my relics for extra oomph when I getting nuked by one of these classes.

I also blow my stun and vanish ability but dont seem to get it right as they seem to get back on me as I am running away or Assassins/Shadows will do an AoE thing that pops me right out again a split seconf after vanish (which is good play on their part I guess) I never backpedal btw, its strafe or run for me. These guys really hurt. Thanks for the tips.

I used to fake cast a lot in Wow, but in Sw:tor (as operative healer)you should never fake cast... Diagnose scan is your best fake cast. It cost nothing and regen your energy!!

I think too vanish is kind of bad as is... you have to burn your 3s Dodge or shield just after you hit the vanish, this way, you wont get out of stealth.

Macro would help a bit for this.. but BW does not want us to spam sequence of logical spell !:eek:

What do you mean by solo? Do you expect to win in a 1on1? Healers very rarely win a 1on1 by killing the opponent. An Operative certainly can last a very long time against any DPS as long as you got some terrain to work with. I don't think there's any healer that can beat a DPS by simply killing them. You can effectively beat a DPS if you manage to lose them over some terrain and then get back to healing other people, though, and that's not hard to do.

What do you mean by solo? Do you expect to win in a 1on1? Healers very rarely win a 1on1 by killing the opponent. An Operative certainly can last a very long time against any DPS as long as you got some terrain to work with. I don't think there's any healer that can beat a DPS by simply killing them. You can effectively beat a DPS if you manage to lose them over some terrain and then get back to healing other people, though, and that's not hard to do.

Healers very rarely win a 1on1 by killing the opponent.

I could very easily...

Just make sure you put your corrosive dart all the time and toss a shiv time to time, then spam your heals all over the place... you can drop any 1v1. Its a long fight but i managed to win most of them.

Healers very rarely win a 1on1 by killing the opponent.

I could very easily...

Just make sure you put your corrosive dart all the time and toss a shiv time to time, then spam your heals all over the place... you can drop any 1v1. Its a long fight but i managed to win most of them.

The strong DPS classes all have self heal and will easily negate your dot damage. It might work against a DPS class without self heals but those guys usually aren't alive for very long due to that reason.

The strong DPS classes all have self heal and will easily negate your dot damage. It might work against a DPS class without self heals but those guys usually aren't alive for very long due to that reason.

You have a point... and i don't claim that i have tried all the AC composition!! ;-)

But i did try some class like BH who could heal themself a bit... you just have to be quick on the interrupt / stun when they try !! hehe

But i can see the prob. with a tank assasin who can self heal without being interrupted...

Right, switched to healing on my Operative. I am used to healing in PvP coming from a Disc Priest in WoW (which I appreciate won't mean a lot to those who never have played it!) Anyway my Op has 1164 Expertise and full BM gear with 15040hp unbuffed, no Hero gear yet.

In PvP against some classes as a healer I can stay up, might dip low but spam heals usually solves the problem during those intense moments where I feel the DPS is blowing cd's to nuke me down. I dispel whenever I need to and use my cooldowns whenever I need to. Now my take on PvP healers is they should be able to stay up against any class 1 on 1. Because if they didn't there would never be healers in PvP such is the focus they get.

The problem I have is Assassins/Shadows, Sents/Mara's, and some Trooper/BH specs utterly destroy me 1 on 1 when I am starting with full health, cc breaker free, and defensive cooldowns up and ready. No matter what I do I cannot last more than 8-10 secs before they completely overcome my HoT's, healing and escape tools. What gives?

Is the burst or damage of these classes too high? This is when I end up on those 1 v 1 fights when I am singled out and chased across the entire warzone. Its not spammage from 3 diferent players focusing me down - I dont expect to live more thn 5 secs when that happens. Or is it L2P on my part? Quite happy to concede that fact, but what can I do against these classes 1 on 1 when I do nothing but spam heal and try to stay alive?

If the burst of these classes is too high with 1164 Expertise then PvP is really F***** UP. I even have damage reducing talents (-4% from Chem-resistant Inlays) and +9% to self healing (Survival Training 3/3) plus 15% more healing on top of that when a defensive cooldown is up (Med Shield 2/2). What can I do?

Post 1.2 the PvP game has basically turned into Halo - WZs are just rolling dps races past level 50. Healers alone versus an equally geared class are supposed to get burned down slowly. Against more than 1 we're simply toast.

I agree with many posts on here - do your best to interrupt, cloak and burn your CDs. When possible run with a group who will protect you.

I have found that on my sawbones is that a 1v1 is where they are the weakest. if you get jumped alone while heading to help another objective or on the way back from spawn you are screwed. the strength of a sawbones/ops healer is to have hots rolling on as many people as you can, for the upper hand procs. even if someone isn't hurt get a single hot on them if you have the energy for it. so if you get caught alone stun him and haul *** to your team.

also right now the raw power of damage is higher and scales better than healing. I have seen damage hits as high as 8.5k. the best heal i have ever put out is just over 6.4k on my 1.7sec cast. this was in full BM and 2 WH(augmented) and using a + power trinket and adrenal. also this was on the fleet so in PvP it would have been 18% less (trauma+exp) so 5200. about 3970 if you have a sniper or mara on you.

Edited by majikx

I have found that on my sawbones is that a 1v1 is where they are the weakest. if you get jumped alone while heading to help another objective or on the way back from spawn you are screwed. the strength of a sawbones/ops healer is to have hots rolling on as many people as you can, for the upper hand procs. even if someone isn't hurt get a single hot on them if you have the energy for it. so if you get caught alone stun him and haul *** to your team.

also right now the raw power of damage is higher and scales better than healing. I have seen damage hits as high as 8.5k. the best heal i have ever put out is just over 6.4k on my 1.7sec cast. this was in full BM and 2 WH(augmented) and using a + power trinket and adrenal. also this was on the fleet so in PvP it would have been 18% less (trauma+exp) so 5200. about 3970 if you have a sniper or mara on you.

Maybe you need to Tweak some.. without trinkets and adrenal I've put out 6k heal while in combat. I do have a screen shot this was before i had any WH gear at all.. it was during a terrible game that we happen to lose. I've seen a fellow repub Scoundrel shout out to Popov hit 7k single target in Repub vs Repub Voidstar.. also hit 810k Healing as well during that game and i think they are currently rocking 3 peices of WH(aug) not 100% sure.

Edited by prodigyqnz

you have 2 great CC's, and a vanish, stop being bad.

Yeah Vanish is so great for Operatives considering it locks them out of healing for 10 seconds. If you can't solo an Operative as a melee class, you're bad end of story. They have one real casted heal (protip: lock this out) and you have problems if you can't out damage the 200 hps of their HoTs. You just have to CC them below 30% so they don't get instant heal procs. My Marauder cuts through them like butter, Commandos are still the best.

Yeah Vanish is so great for Operatives considering it locks them out of healing for 10 seconds. If you can't solo an Operative as a melee class, you're bad end of story. They have one real casted heal (protip: lock this out) and you have problems if you can't out damage the 200 hps of their HoTs. You just have to CC them below 30% so they don't get instant heal procs. My Marauder cuts through them like butter, Commandos are still the best.

I have an Ops healer alt, and while cloaking screen does lock you out of healing, the lockout wears off if stealth breaks for some reason (the instant you start casting a heal, for example).

Annihilation Marauders are some of my favorite opponents because my cleanse gets rid of their dots nicely.

Edited by Vid-szhite

LOL what kinda Op/Scoundrels do you face..?

My Hots tick for 500-1200 each baby.. 3 layers of that from SRMPx2 and Kolto . Then endless EMP takes and army to get me down.. Its not OP either because all scoundrels are not equal. But if you know your class you can do very well.

30 minutes till i can leave work and play /cry

Edited by prodigyqnz

Are you 31 medicine, or hybrid? I find hybrids like 23/18 are better at

, you can also surprise some people by dishing out a bit damage, but obviously you can't heal as well. It's better for solo queue IMHO when you don't have guards and peels.

Also, don't forget the power of cover, there are situations where being mobile isn't as good as not getting charged or pulled.

Remember to use triage or the OP equivelant and the slow release to get upperhand,having better gear is what can make or break this class more so than other's aside from sage's/sorc's to survive imo because they are squishly like us.

Maybe you need to Tweak some.. without trinkets and adrenal I've put out 6k heal while in combat. I do have a screen shot this was before i had any WH gear at all.. it was during a terrible game that we happen to lose. I've seen a fellow repub Scoundrel shout out to Popov hit 7k single target in Repub vs Repub Voidstar.. also hit 810k Healing as well during that game and i think they are currently rocking 3 peices of WH(aug) not 100% sure.

what are your stats at? just did a little tweeking got surge up some.

so my stats are

cunning = 1658

exp = 1130

crit = 38.47

surge = 72.68

power = 304

Tech pwr = 1224

used a + power adrenal and +power relic did this a few time and the biggest crit i got was 6888. so not sure how you are getting 6k plus in combat with out adrenals and relic? do i need to tweek the surge more?

ok just did the test again, this time adrenal+relic+def screen(15% healing to self) and got a heal for 8k.

however in pvp that is still only going to be around 5k with a mara or sniper on you.

100%-30%(trauma)-20%(debuff) + 12%(exp) = 62% total heal

Edited by majikx

I think there are some things you could improve.

First off, what is your build? I will tell you right off that you have made a mistake taking Med Shield. It rarely lasts long enough for the +15% to matter when you really need it.

I had mainly run a Hybrid build before 1.2, and switched to a 31pt Sawbones build when 1.2 came out with the buffs to the AoE. Recently I have switched back to a Hybrid build for a bit extra survivability and damage.

ScrapBones

I lose the AoE heal (Which is an Energy Hog, but useful for healing your group while getting focused) and +30% crit healing bonus for Underworld Medicine. The thing is, Underworld Medicine great...if you are allowed to freecast. Against the teams that are allowing you to freecast, you will probably win anyway. What you gain is decent damage and basically a 100+ hps self HoT in Suprise Comeback. I honestly feel like I can solo any class (except another healer), but not necessarily any player. I don't have many issues with Maraders and TankSins, but a Concealment Operative can wreck me when they catch me mid fight.

The advise about LoS is very good. I never stop moving except to cast XS Flyby or Underworld Medicine if I can LoS /stun the DPS on me. Use Triage to clear most snares, keep HoTs rolling and spam Emergency Medpack. Keep Escape for when you are stunned at low health. When a Sniper or Bounty Hunter targets you, and you cant LoS right away, Dodge.

Having Bio and reusable Medpacks help alot. You can use regular medpacks, but having a reusable means you do not have to decide if surviving is worth the cost of a medpack. Same thing with Stims and Adrenals. I have a Endurance Stim I use on Defense or if I am getting focused alot, and a Cunning Stim for Offense or if I am not being targeted as much.

Don't be afraid to use your DPS. You have some okay DPS to help finish off a target. Don't forget Sabotage Charge and if at range Charged Burst. Charged Burst is pretty costly in energy, but more then a few times, Sabotage Charge/Charged Burst spamming have taken down a ball carrier that knocked me off the ramps. XS flyby can rack up some damage as well if they are stunned and can not move out of the field.

In solo situations, starting with Shoot First, Blaster Whip and Backblast will put a bit of a dent in someone, while Sedatives will give you a window of reduced incoming damage. LoS and stun to stack HoTs or use Underworld Medicine.

There was a great video of a Hybrid ranked 96? that shows how successful a Scrapbones can be one on one. If you can find it, check it out. Very good player.

I normally end WZs taking about 25% more damage then the next highest person, but at a fairly low death to damage taken rate. The class is very survivable, although vs some teams you may spend more time tanking the enemies DPS then healing others. Still, that is damage your teammates are not taking. DPS output is not great, but a few GCDs of damage to help focus someone down may save many GCDs of healing.

Sorry if I rambled a bit. I am not the best player out there, but hopefully something in here helped :)