Why don't we have server merges yet?

Heraseth

Ok the game is pushing 6months in age and my own patience is wearing thin.

I understand that content and new features take time to code and create, but why exactly is it taking months to fix an issue which could have been fixed months ago.

I'm talking about direct server merging, as in taking all characters from one server and putting them on to another.

Shut the servers down for 2 days, w/e it takes, you've granted us all of this free time, use it.

Make the game a better place!

Now for those of you about to say this is coming in 1.3, tmk This is NOT what is coming and what is coming is the cross server lfg tool.

And while this will be a welcome tool to many, this in short does not fix the community server problems, in that low populations have more specific effects, most of you know what these are.. general chat, trade, auction, and people willing to do said instances... right now each server i log on to has 100-200 people, 50 of which maybe active in fleets. Surly you can see this is a problem that a cross server tool won't fix

Time to shut down half your servers bioware, put them on standby, whatever... get the community togeather.. And as much as a complaint this is, i would still much rather have 20 min ques then log into ghost towns.

Ok the game is pushing 6months in age and my own patience is wearing thin.

I understand that content and new features take time to code and create, but why exactly is it taking months to fix an issue which could have been fixed months ago.

I'm talking about direct server merging, as in taking all characters from one server and putting them on to another.

Shut the servers down for 2 days, w/e it takes, you've granted us all of this free time, use it.

Make the game a better place!

Now for those of you about to say this is coming in 1.3, tmk This is NOT what is coming and what is coming is the cross server lfg tool.

And while this will be a welcome tool to many, this in short does not fix the community server problems, in that low populations have more specific effects, most of you know what these are.. general chat, trade, auction, and people willing to do said instances... right now each server i log on to has 100-200 people, 50 of which maybe active in fleets. Surly you can see this is a problem that a cross server tool won't fix

Time to shut down half your servers bioware, put them on standby, whatever... get the community togeather.. And as much as a complaint this is, i would still much rather have 20 min ques then log into ghost towns.

They're going to pull an Everquest Online Adventures and just make everyone re-roll to the Fatman and not bother with server merges or transfers.

I agree, I have entire zones with 2-3 people in it. I can never find a group for any heroics anymore. Time to fix this problem with a seamless server merger.

I logged on yesterday, played for a few minutes then logged off. There was no one to talk to, hell I can play a single player game and not pay monthly for it.

Because Bioware did not think it important enough to have server merge protocol set up and ready before release.

How many major MMOs since World of Warcraft have needed to merge servers soon after release? All of them.

Why Bioware waited for server populations to become a severe issue before preparing either shows they were too arrogant to think it they would suffer a substantial subscription loss or they lack the funding and management skills to cope.

I LOVE new and exciting thread topics, sadly this is neither...

While this maybe the case, I am a player more then a forum reader, i check maybe once/twice a week and before posting this I also went through the dev tracker to see if there was a scrap of info on this subject.

If many posts have been made on this already, then why has it not been addressed? in talk and action.

I agree above that it was either arrogance or ineptitude that lead to the exclusion of merge systems in place for launch.

As to why they haven't announced anything yet about merges specifically, perhaps it's because they need to have a working character transfer system in place so they can actually...you know...MOVE people to their new servers.

All a merge is is a forced character transfer for every character on the server.

If I were in their shoes, I wouldn't be making any decisions on merges either until I had the ability to implement them.

It's because they implemented a legacy system that spans all the characters on your account and never thought about how it would affect the idea of transferring one or more of those characters.

Because the legacy system is revolutionary and all...

My best guess is they will not merge servers, this is always a sign of failure. Instead they will transfers to servers. Look at wow, they lost 2+ million subscribers and haven't merged. They wont merge until its too late.