Ranged DPS: Why would you choose a Mercenary?

I already have an opinion about this, but if someone out there thinks I'm missing something please let me know.

Mercenary compared to Sniper:

Merc gets:

- Heavy armor

- A 2nd knockback (have to spec into it, fills resolve bar, doesn't knock them back far)

- 2 second cast mez

- Ability to heal itself

- Armor debuff

Sniper gets:

- Passive immunity to leaps, pulls, and interrupts...doesn't even have to spec into this

- Ability to become immune to CC

- Castable root

- Root on knockback

- Interrupt

Mercenary compared to Sorcerer:

Merc gets:

- Heavy armor

- A 2nd knockback (have to spec into it, fills resolve bar, doesn't knock them back far)

- Armor debuff

Sorc gets:

- Root on knockback (specced)

- Instant cast mez (specced)

- Quick heal with no CD

- Speed boost

- Passive snare tied to commonly used dps ability

- Interrupt

The overall damage of all classes is about the same. So this makes me wonder, why would anyone ever roll a mercenary for ranged dps over the other 2 classes? I think Bioware has severely over-estimated the benefits of Heavy Armor. If the Merc produced more damage than the other two, and heavy armor gave like 45% more damage decrease then it would make sense. At its current state though I'm baffled at this classes design.

play style.

i have a sniper and love it!!

but, merc/PT just fits my mobile play style. i move non-stop. if i get >2 people within 30m, it's my own damn fault (unless i'm defending objectives and have to suck it up).

i can LOS, cure, heal, and be right back into the fray. my uptime is crazy! sniper can kinda do the same, less mobility. i get "caught up" more often.

i gotta say, you need to play each class before you really figure it out...they are so different, yet similar.

my first toon in beta was a Merc/firebug(pt). i didn't know what the hell i was doing, so i got frustrated...played a assy and sniper to 50(123 valor rank combined between those 2).

now, back to my merc...i really wish i woulda stuck with Merc/PT from the start...

it is just the perfect class for my play style. that's what you have to find...what fits you...you'll be better at it, have more fun, and enjoy the game more...

Uh, you left out Snipers best PvE ability...

20% damage reduction to the whole raid is insanely useful.

They also can become extremely resistant to AoE damage occasionally, allowing them to basically ignore it rather than moving. And for whatever it's worth they get a free 20% ranged defense I guess.

You left out some Merc stuff too though. Stealth Scan is clunky, but has its uses.

I think the thing that strikes me most about the comparisons is that the classes are significantly different. They play differently. Ranged dps they all may be, but that's pretty much where the similarities end. I chose merc because I like that I have survivability (with heavy armor, heals, etc) that is tank-like, the ability to heal other people in a pinch, and dude, I get missles. I mean, that in itself....

I think the thing that strikes me most about the comparisons is that the classes are significantly different. They play differently. Ranged dps they all may be, but that's pretty much where the similarities end. I chose merc because I like that I have survivability (with heavy armor, heals, etc) that is tank-like, the ability to heal other people in a pinch, and dude, I get missles. I mean, that in itself....

Do you play a Merc...I want you to tell me where Heavy Armor helps AT ALL and this so called Survivability you speak of...please explain how this works post 1.2

Do you play a Merc...I want you to tell me where Heavy Armor helps AT ALL and this so called Survivability you speak of...please explain how this works post 1.2

You want numbers? I'm sorry, I don't crunch numbers much. If I'm mistaken in my assumption that heavy armor reduces the amount of damage you take then by all means enlighten me. Not that it'll change my decision to play a merc, but hey, I'm open to learning.

You want numbers? I'm sorry, I don't crunch numbers much. If I'm mistaken in my assumption that heavy armor reduces the amount of damage you take then by all means enlighten me. Not that it'll change my decision to play a merc, but hey, I'm open to learning.

Armor doesn't affect Internal and Elemental damage. Your combustible cylinder and Incindiery missiles for example, are not affected by armor at all.

Also, the damage reduction difference between light and heavy armors is not that significant.

Edited by ZeusThunder

Armor doesn't affect Internal and Elemental damage. Your combustible cylinder and Incindiery missiles for example, are not affected by armor at all.

Also, the damage reduction difference between light and heavy armors is not that significant.

So essentially it is purely a cosmetic difference?

>Why would you choose a Mercenary?

Because you made that decision before you truly understood the disadvantages of the class in endgame content.

Let's be honest. That's the what happened to 99% of the people who are left here.

Ah the good old heavy armor that forced so many snipers to respec to lethality. When I see 6 troopers per team with 4 of them being commandos, i really doubt that they think that their class is somewhat broken. Edited by NoTomorrow

Sadly, those are just rubberbands painted to look like missiles.

Lol, but they make cool sounds!

Honestly, I will say that my merc isn't as easy to play as she was when I started her months ago. The class got hit with the nerf bat. If you play mmo's long enough your class is going to nerfed, sometimes so bad that you want to damage things (but you can't cause your dps now sucks). I don't think mercs got hit THAT bad, but that's simply my opinion on that.

When a class gets hit you can either reroll if you only ever want to play op classes, or you can learn how to work with the new changes. If you still like the feel of the class, the storyline, whatever, then sticking with it makes sense. That's entirely your deal - flavor of the month or evolve your playstyle.

Just be aware that that new class you rerolled to because it's awesomesauce is likely going to see the nerf bat in the not too distant future, and if the nerfs were truly nasty it's likely that your old class will come up a few notches.

When I see 6 troopers per team with 4 of them being commandos, i really doubt that they think that their class is somewhat broken.

There are barely 6 mercenaries on our whole server let alone in 1 WZ. At primetime a /who 50 shows out of a 100 people mercs barely register. Though interestingly there is almost always 40 Sorcerers at any given time on line. I am usually the only merc in each wz when I play. Occasionally you will see a BG specced merc running around shooting green lasers but that is a rarity. I think I have seen 2 arsenal specced mercs in wz's over the last month. I'm not sure I have ever seen another 31 point specced pyro. At least I never recall getting hit with a TD.

What is this magical server of which you speak?

Edited by Roanic

There are barely 6 mercenaries on our whole server let alone in 1 WZ. At primetime a /who 50 shows out of a 100 people mercs barely register. Though interestingly there is almost always 40 Sorcerers at any given time on line. I am usually the only merc in each wz when I play. Occasionally you will see a BG specced merc running around shooting green lasers but that is a rarity. I think I have seen 2 arsenal specced mercs in wz's over the last month. I'm not sure I have ever seen another 31 point specced pyro. At least I never recall getting hit with a TD.

What is this magical server of which you speak?

Sluis shipyards. the main pvp guild premade on rep side has like 4 commando. Often they are joined by 2 vanguards. It's a heavy armor fest. Outside of 50, we have every WZ at least 3 commando on rep side.

+1 to OP

No real reason, no utility & since 1.2 less DPS and a free kill in PVP.

QFE and I'll add that (for Mercs) there is really no such thing as "ranged". Mercs completely lack the tools to truely be an effective ranged DPS class. Mercs are effectively a bad version of a Marksman Sniper minus the range and tools to maintain the range gap for any useful amount of time.

The only plausable reason I can see is if you are a PVE only player dead set on being a Merc because most other dps classes can to the same job better while bringing more to the group than just DPS.

So essentially it is purely a cosmetic difference?

For most pvp purposes, largely correct. Mercs in heavy armor die more quickly than the light armor/medium armor dps classes who have better defensive cooldowns and mobility.

Armor is a joke in this game compared to cooldowns, mobility and CC. The one defensive we get (Energy Shield) is on a long cooldown and grossly subpar compared to what most other dpsers get. I don't even count Kolto Overload as anything more than a way to top ourselves off after fights because it's useless when being seriously threatened.

Lol, but they make cool sounds!

Honestly, I will say that my merc isn't as easy to play as she was when I started her months ago. The class got hit with the nerf bat. If you play mmo's long enough your class is going to nerfed, sometimes so bad that you want to damage things (but you can't cause your dps now sucks). I don't think mercs got hit THAT bad, but that's simply my opinion on that.

When a class gets hit you can either reroll if you only ever want to play op classes, or you can learn how to work with the new changes. If you still like the feel of the class, the storyline, whatever, then sticking with it makes sense. That's entirely your deal - flavor of the month or evolve your playstyle.

Just be aware that that new class you rerolled to because it's awesomesauce is likely going to see the nerf bat in the not too distant future, and if the nerfs were truly nasty it's likely that your old class will come up a few notches.

Of course I was engaging in hyperbole, but I do feel a bit bummed that our damage got nerfed.

As far as the class goes, I've been pyro merc since the first day of Early Release, so I'm not going anywhere. I've been around enough MMOs to know not to roll FOTM. I just hope BW makes the adjustments they need to on their end in order to balance our utility and dmg with other classes.

They also can become extremely resistant to AoE damage occasionally, allowing them to basically ignore it rather than moving. And for whatever it's worth they get a free 20% ranged defense I guess.

Only in Natural Cover, which doesn't happen very often. In PvP people use non-ranged abilities too much to rely on natural cover, and in PvE you're ideally not being shot at in the first place :p

If you crouch in place behind natural cover you still get the benefit, but take it from me, the 20% Ranged Defense is a flavor thing more than anything else. Especially more than something concrete like being able to wear Heavy Armor.