True Auction House

netskink

Hello

We do not have a real AH, we have a third party trade setup. I would love to have a true AH. Put an item for sale with an intial price and let it run for two days. Its fun to check to see if you have bids. Its fun to see how high a big goes, especially when its much higher than expected.

Personally I don't use the GTN much because I don't have a bid option to see what the true market value is.

John

I completely agree, not only is watching bids come in fun it really helps you know how much you can actually sell something for. I've sold things for 1000s of creds less then they were worth just cause I didn't know, if there were a bid system that likely wouldn't happen. I also just think it would help the economy as whole, no one would worry about losing money by posting their stuff hence more stuff would get posted and more people would use the trade network to buy things. Everybody wins!

I personally don't need it. I played the WoW AH to the tune of millions of gold, and found bids to be a losing proposition for the seller. I had to wait longer and usually got less. I found that by setting minimum bids equal to the buyout price, I'd take advantage of the immediate gratification impulse. And in all the time I've played WoW, I'd say that less than 1% of my purchases were bids rather than buyouts. I don't want to wait, and even if I did, I'm not going to sit in the AH waiting to be outbid, so I either bid and walk away, or I don't bid at all.

This isn't Ebay, where there's a whole economy based on sniping low priced auctions. Sure, there are people that do snipe low priced auctions, but there's not enough of them to fuel the kinds of feeding frenzies you see on Ebay.

I prefer the EVE Online model for commerce. Allow buyers to play "buy <n> units of <x> at price <y>". This is in addition to the current system of playing sell order. Sellers can peruse the buy orders and fill them if they like. Also, the GTN can do match making for compatible buy/sell orders.

I personally don't need it. I played the WoW AH to the tune of millions of gold, and found bids to be a losing proposition for the seller. I had to wait longer and usually got less. I found that by setting minimum bids equal to the buyout price, I'd take advantage of the immediate gratification impulse. And in all the time I've played WoW, I'd say that less than 1% of my purchases were bids rather than buyouts. I don't want to wait, and even if I did, I'm not going to sit in the AH waiting to be outbid, so I either bid and walk away, or I don't bid at all.

This isn't Ebay, where there's a whole economy based on sniping low priced auctions. Sure, there are people that do snipe low priced auctions, but there's not enough of them to fuel the kinds of feeding frenzies you see on Ebay.

Very true. I don't disagree, but its simple to find out what that minimum bid is if you sell a few items without a buyout first.

I prefer the EVE Online model for commerce. Allow buyers to play "buy <n> units of <x> at price <y>". This is in addition to the current system of playing sell order. Sellers can peruse the buy orders and fill them if they like. Also, the GTN can do match making for compatible buy/sell orders.

I have not played EVE, but that sounds like a grand idea.

[quote name='netskink'] Put an item for sale with an intial price and let it run for two days. Its fun to check to see if you have bids. Its fun to see how high a big goes, especially when its much higher than expected. [/QUOTE] I just have to disagree here. When I want to buy something, I want to buy it and start using it. I dont want to buy it, then have to wait 2 days...and then possibly lose it because I was logged off when someone bid 1 credit more. Heck, who even knows what level Im going to be in 2 days (unless Im 50). I could be 15 now trying to get something nice, then be 30 by the time I get it. The system youre proposing would absolutely crush/kill/destroy the low end market.

I just have to disagree here. When I want to buy something, I want to buy it and start using it. I dont want to buy it, then have to wait 2 days...and then possibly lose it because I was logged off when someone bid 1 credit more. Heck, who even knows what level Im going to be in 2 days (unless Im 50). I could be 15 now trying to get something nice, then be 30 by the time I get it. The system youre proposing would absolutely crush/kill/destroy the low end market.

I think his idea is for it to work similar to Ebay, you have a bid option and a buy it now price. If you want it now you can obviously buy it now, if multiple people are selling the same item then the various buy it now prices would vary.

I think his idea is for it to work similar to Ebay, you have a bid option and a buy it now price. If you want it now you can obviously buy it now, if multiple people are selling the same item then the various buy it now prices would vary.

Right, the same way as WoW's AH works. The problem is, judging by how people use the AH in WoW, people will tend to go one of three ways

1) set a bid close enough to the buyout that you might as well buy it out. (I fall into this category)

2) set a low bid, high buyout, so that you either bid on this, or buy out something else.

3) set a low bid, no buyout, hoping that there will be a bidding frenzy driving the price up higher than what the buyout would have been (it can happen, but it's far too rare to bet on in my opinion).

Personally, I'd love to have the EVE extension discussed above, where there's an exchange for offers of purchase as well as offers of sale, with some cross-matching. That could give you a much better idea of demand before you get into a new market, or if the demand of an existing market changes.

What people neglect to realize is that the GTN can also/ should also be seen as a 'storefront'. The burden is on the buyer to get what they want. They should be clever enough to see who are the major crafters for items at their level and then search out the crafter and have something custom made.

The crafting system could work better if people treated it in an on-demand sort of way.

I disagree with the OP. A bidding system would suck. I also played WOW since it launched and always bought what I wanted with the buyout price and sold with the buyout price.

Bidding took too long, especially as a buyer. I wanted to get my gear and get out to actually playing. Not camp an item in the AH for two days.

The rare times I would actually bid is if I saw something really cheap that I didn't need right away or planned on reselling. But I would just toss on a bid and go. I wasn;t going to camp the item.

If you really want to set up an auction just set up your own auction channel and have people join it who are interested.

On the flip side I have mailed offers to people for items on the GTN I thought were a bit high priced. And so far most of them have accepted my offer.

I think a bidding system is needed if for no other reason than to hinder resellers. Resellers hate a bidding option because it forces them to bid against each other for the low hanging fruit.

To solve the 'camping the AH' problem, you simply create an auto bid function for the buyer: Increment my bid by X amount if out bid, up until my Max bid Y is reached. Problem solved.

Buy orders is a feature that has been repeatedly asked for since beta.

For a healthy and stable economy the GTN should also be cross faction and cross server.

The problem is that you really don't need an auction house.

People don't bid. People just pay the Buy Now price and get it instantly instead of waiting several hours. Auctions are a holdover from older games that have become, frankly, vestigal. Markets, where players can put their stuff out like a bazaar, are the way things will inevitably go. Because so long as there's a Buy Now price and we're an instant gratification society playing a video game with monopoly money, people are going to take the shortcut.

"True" auctions can have their place, when there's a rare/unique item for sale.

But for the most part, I'd rather not bid on most things, since yeah, I want it now. Even with a "buy it now" price feature, it doesn't work well in practice (if I recall, once you got a bid on an item, the buy it now was disabled--so if you had a min bid of 5, buy it now at 20, you might find yourself turning away people willing to buy at 20 and selling for 5...)

I also really like Eve's system (which operates much like a "true" (real life) commodity/stock market. But it's pretty complex, particularly for people who don't spend the time to understand it.

"True" auctions can have their place, when there's a rare/unique item for sale.

I also really like Eve's system (which operates much like a "true" (real life) commodity/stock market. But it's pretty complex, particularly for people who don't spend the time to understand it.

Definitely agree that auctions are useful for rare items, particularly vanity items, the value of which can be hard to estimate.

The EVE model of Buy Orders might be a little hard to grok at first, but it helps to even out economies quickly and allows the seller to have instant gratification. I'd wager the cost of the complexity creep is outweighed by the benefits of a better economy.

that sounds great. wish we had this

Hello

We do not have a real AH, we have a third party trade setup. I would love to have a true AH. Put an item for sale with an intial price and let it run for two days. Its fun to check to see if you have bids. Its fun to see how high a big goes, especially when its much higher than expected.

Personally I don't use the GTN much because I don't have a bid option to see what the true market value is.

John

i wouldnt mind to see this as a option with a buy out feature. personally i wouldnt use it but it will seperate me from those that do. any edge i can get to sell stuff on the ah i will take as there are many people who will not buy that way either.

it is good to have choices.

As someone who spent a LARGE amount of time in the AH to the point where the game couldn't actually calculate how many auctions I had posted or money I made (when you try to view that stat it shows negative 2 billion & change) this post here is 100% accurate. 1 out of every 100 auctions was a bid winner. Not being able to bid is not the problem with the Galactic Market. A completely piss poor interface is the problem with the Galactic Market, not to mention the 50 auction limit. I've literally had hundreds of auctions up at that same time in WoW. Dunno what they were thinking with the Market, but they really need to give that thing some love.

I've made millions of gold in WoW and not once did I use the auction option. Anything worth enough to consider auctioning was better off sold out of hand and not on the AH itself.

I really like the idea of allowing people to place...for the lack of a better term...want ads. It would especially help crafters looking for specific materials to be able to place a request and allow others to fill it and sell it to them through the GTN.

It is fairly easy to do enough research to figure out the value of an item. At the least you can look up the required materials and price the item based on the going rate for materials but more often than not you can browse to see what others are selling the item for and price accordingly.