PvP & PvE question

BlakeAK

Hi guys, I'm a total MMO Newbie so i'm still very unsure on how the whole thing works. I must admit at first i bought this game just because i loved the KOTOR games and i was hoping i could play like that and just ignore the MMO aspect, lol.

Silly i know and after my first couple of group quests in a PvE server, i was hooked on the mmo aspect too. But now i hear that most of the best loot (armour, weapons, mods, etc) are to be had on PvP only, is this true? Does this mean i will have to start a fresh character on a new server to get the best stuff Or is there still great gear to be earned on PvE? Do you only get the good stuff on PvE through grouping up?

Thanks in adavance :)

You can get good gear both through PvE and PvP.

If your playing mostly solo then your easiest route will be the PvP gear. Play Warzones, Trade in Warzone commendations for better gear. It may take awhile, but it can be done. The PvP gear will always be better for PvP because of the Expertise. Get Recruit, then Battlemaster, then War Hero.

Getting the best PvE gear is a little bit more involved and you'll have to group, and probably join a guild.

Step 1 - Run dailes on Ilum, Belsavis, and Corellia. Get Daily commendations, turn them in for good mods, relics, implants, and ear pieces (solo, but will take along time).

Step 2 - Run Hard Mode Flashpoints (4 people) or Story Mode Operations (Karagga's Palace and Eternity Vault) and get Columi Gear (8 people)

Step 3 - Run Hard Mode Karagga's or Eternity Vault; or run Story mode Explosive Conflict (8 people)

However when gearing up for PvE you can use your PvP gear as a stop gap. You can probably skip step 1 if your already in Battlemaster gear, and skip step 2 if your already in War Hero gear. Running HM Flashpoints and Operations is tough with a random group of people, so I recommend a guild that will help you out with this. So try to find a good group of folks to run with, and until you do PvP.

First off, welcome to the game and MMO's. I love that you are finding a liking to a different world and I hope you can continue to enjoy yourself in the game. This game brings a very real opportunity to remain as a single player, or you can just as easily work with others to blend the MMO idea. I will say that this game is a bit more restricting on a true MMO, but for you, since you wanted single player first, you will find that the blend that can happen will fit perfectly for what you want to accomplish.

As for Armor, it can be argued which Armor is overall the best. It is true that most of the higher end Armor is gained through playing in PvP instances. You can however work on completeling the highest PvE Armor and perform just fine.

It is when you have PvE armor and look to PvP where you would lose out on how the Armor helps you.

You do not need to reroll or go to a different server at all. You can use commendations you aquire as you are leveling/questing, to upgrade Armor and modifiers to enhance Armor.

PvP Armor is gained with warzone commendations. PvE Armor is questing/planet commendations.

But now i hear that most of the best loot (armour, weapons, mods, etc) are to be had on PvP only, is this true?

No.

Besides when it comes to endgame content pvp gear is better only for pvp.

For doing any PvE, the pvp gear is bad because so much of stat budget goes to expertise stat which only good in pvp, and completely useles for anything else.

You want to gear through pve for endgame pve content.

And more importantly

Does this mean i will have to start a fresh character on a new server to get the best stuff

No, no and no.

Even if you want all the pvp gear, there is nothing stopping you from doing that in a pve server as you can still run pvp warzones and get everything.

Only difference between pve and pvp server is that so called open world pvp is more limited, but that does not offer any significant rewards.

Greetings BlakeAK and welcome to the forums!

New Player Help has a great community of people who enjoy helping out others. We have some wonderful resources you might enjoy. There is the New Player Guide and the Online Game Manual to get you started. We also have our handy New Players Fleet Pass: A Directory of Resources which showcases various links that might assist you.

We have several member created guides that might help out, too!

Additionally, depending on what you are interested in and what class you are paying, make sure to check out the various stickied threads in those areas! These are great resources of information, often created by fellow community members.

We appreciate all the helpful and constructive replies to the thread author's question!

Hope that helps!

Edited by Ellvaan

No.

Besides when it comes to endgame content pvp gear is better only for pvp.

For doing any PvE, the pvp gear is bad because so much of stat budget goes to expertise stat which only good in pvp, and completely useles for anything else.

This is somewhat false.... the stats on the PvP gear on the mods and enhancements are near identical to the PvE gear, they just also have expertise on them. The main armoring or weapon hilt / barrel has slightly lower stats than its PvE equivalent, but its still very viable. PvP gear is also somewhat easier to acquire than endgame PvE gear.

Heres a good breakdown...

BM gear = near identical to Columi (only a few stat points lower here and there) and much better than Tionese.

WH gear = near identical to Rakata / Black Hole and better than Columi.

So technically you could skip some PvE gear for its PvP equivalent and have the same or better stats... compare and check them out next time you hit fleet:cool:

Swap the mods around into augmented gear and you can up the stats even more.