Melee and Lost Island.

Dear BioWare,

Would it be possible to tune the first boss in this flashpoint in such a way that it's equally punishing to both melee and ranged dps?

Currently it's built in such a way that groups often refuse to bring melee dps.

I am a melee dps. :o

Edited by PendragonPrime

Dear BioWare,

Would it be possible to tune the second boss in this flashpoint in such a way that it's equally punishing to both melee and ranged dps?

huh? you mean the FIRST boss? the 2nd one is the guy who jumps around is very melee friendly.

Must be a playskill issue.

As a Marauder I do 1500 sustained dps (easily). Everything in Lost Island fell over.

It isn't a matter of L2P, friend. The aoe's he drops necessitate the boss be moved, causing the encounter to be significantly more difficult, hence it's more difficult, much more difficult, for melee to get into groups for it. :(

Must be a playskill issue.

As a Marauder I do 1500 sustained dps (easily). Everything in Lost Island fell over.

Then you sir are a unique and uber player !!!

As for the rest of us mere-mortals (as can be seen by the number of posts on this boss) this fight incredibly favors ranged DPS as the tank does not ever have to move the boss from the center of the room and the ranged just have to shift around between a few spots near the door and along the wall at which point, the boss is dead.

With all melee in the fight, the boss constantly has to be moved (regardless of your sustained DPS) around the room to avoid the lightning bubbles which can cause other issues (with the fire floor, adds, etc ...) ...

At leasf there are groups on your server that still run it. I havent even been there once yet

And if your not HM raid gear outfitted you won't either.. Or will get the boot rather quick.

Edited by Tahana

It isn't a matter of L2P, friend. The aoe's he drops necessitate the boss be moved, causing the encounter to be significantly more difficult, hence it's more difficult, much more difficult, for melee to get into groups for it. :(

The group that i run it with doesn't move him at all. I, the tank (Vanguard) tank him in the cent while the rest of the group moves. The reason why people dont bring melee dps is due to the plasma arch. The fewer people in the middle fighting, the less chance there is for one of the orbs to spawn where the tank is keeping the boss distracted.

I have actualy tried that one of my guildmates would let me join, as he really wanted a weapon there, and i was melee. And it is a huge pain for melee.... Just another example of them not testing anything proberly, or thinking about what they do.

If you have melee, you kite him around the room, if all ranged you can keep him in the center. Its really not that hard, biggest mistakes come from the missed interrupts IMO.

In fact, I think kiting him around the room is much easier and more effective on that boss. You only need to worry about the fire/lava when going around the 4 different corners, and everyone is closer together for when the adds come (making it easier for tank to area taunt). Just need to find a tank thats not ... you know ... lazy.

Edited by MasterKayote

The group that i run it with doesn't move him at all. I, the tank (Vanguard) tank him in the cent while the rest of the group moves. The reason why people dont bring melee dps is due to the plasma arch. The fewer people in the middle fighting, the less chance there is for one of the orbs to spawn where the tank is keeping the boss distracted.

Which is why the fight is really leveraged towards ranged DPS.

I have done this fp many times in hm with both 1 meele and 1 ranged or both meele, i got to say that it was easier with 2 meele there was much more damage. It's not like moving the boss around is so hard...

If you have melee, you kite him around the room, if all ranged you can keep him in the center. Its really not that hard, biggest mistakes come from the missed interrupts IMO.

In fact, I think kiting him around the room is much easier and more effective on that boss. You only need to worry about the fire/lava when going around the 4 different corners, and everyone is closer together for when the adds come (making it easier for tank to area taunt).

This kitting the boss is much easier then tanking him in the middle. I cant believe people still fight him in the middle

Yup you just kite him around. Melee can keep dpsing on the move, just make sure you interrupt incinerate timely and move before getting trapped, and have group behind boss. Did it last nigt with a mara and ptech dps and boss just fell over. If he casts incinerate while you are kiting tank should interrupt with charge (and eat a bit of spire damage).

Did the whole flashpoint in 32 minutes from starting moving at zone-in to lorrick dead. Could prob shave a few off that too, as it was the mara's first time in there, and only my second (ptech tank).

Dear BioWare,

Would it be possible to tune the first boss in this flashpoint in such a way that it's equally punishing to both melee and ranged dps?

it's easier with 2 of a kind. With 2 melee just move him in a triangle from where he starts to the corners on the entrance wall. With 2 ranged you can hold him in place and nuke.

With one of each it's easiest to stick to the triangle strategy, but the ranged person has to stand behind the boss in the loop rather than in front or they'll drop blue force fields in the path you want to move him.

Dear BioWare,

Dear PendragonPrime,

Learn to stack on top of the tank. Your problems will be solved.

This kitting the boss is much easier then tanking him in the middle. I cant believe people still fight him in the middle

I have to disagree. I've beaten the flashpoint with what's probably the hardest group composition (1 melee, 1 ranged dps, since moving the boss around is very unfriendly to ranged's sustained DPS), and while it's quite doable, it's not the lolfaceroll it is with two ranged.

You can stack in three points on each side of the room and rotate between them. They get to nuke the boss with minimal movement and it's a much-reduced workload for the tank.

I disagree. The entire trick of this fight is to have the ranged stack together and the melee stack together. Obviously if you have meele DPS they have to stack behind the boss but that doesn't increase the difficulty at all.

Kitting makes it harder than it has to be. Also I don't know if people have actually noticed this but the lava barely does any damage. It's there just to add confusion. The way I've always done this is to have the ranged stack together on one of the 2 sides and inevitably the droid will drop 2 lightning balls on that side before we have to run across the room to the other side. Rinse and repeat and this boss is a cakewalk.

if you cannot kill this boss with 2 melee dps, i've learned through multiple failed attempts, its normally a tank l2p issues. get a good tank that knows how to simply drag the boss, does not get tunnel visioned, stays zoomed out, and hits interrupts on incinerate quickly = easy win.

We do Lost Island HM a lot more efficiently and faster with two sentinels or one sentinel and one shadow than with two ranged dps. Heh, last time I managed to gather 15 x the debuff from Lorrick and stayed alive through the fight. It was close though. I recommend watching youtube videos for those who are struggling with melee classes on LI.

Hi. I'm a Vanguard tank.

I completed Lost Island HM, but was only able to do so with RDPS. When I went with melee DPS, we consistently hit the enrage timer. It was not a failing on my end, or the healer's end (which should be clear since we hit the enrage so much.) I interrupted incinerate every time, usually even before it got to 1 stack, and I was always above 50% health (so it wasn't the healer's fault, either.) It wasn't the DPS' fault. They never died, and they had Rakata gear. We had both the DPS switch to their ranged alts (who had about the same gear) and beat the boss on our first attempt.

Lost Island is poorly balanced. You can pretend that it's not, but it is. You can say that you're better than everyone because your group did it with MDPS, but it's probably because you're just better than everyone. Congratulations, you have won an MMORPG. Go get a tan, or treat yourself to a cake. That does not mean the fight is properly balanced, it just means you were able to succeed in the face of adversity. Once again, congratulations, your majesty, king or queen of MMOs, and conqueror of lady or man parts. Maybe being great has gone to your head and made you stupid. Or maybe you just don't don't understand the concept of balance. Whatever the case, if you think Lost Island HM is balanced, you are wrong. Lost Island is a GREAT instance. It is tons of fun, but it also needs tons of work. Open your eyes. ;)