Top player measurements

SpoeMeister

So, I run into a lot of posts where people proclaim a number of things:

- He is the top [insert advanced class] of my server

- I am probably the top [insert advanced class] of my server

I was just wondering, what criteria do you use in PvE and PvP to determine wether or not someone is among the best on the server?

Secondary question: Why would anyone think they are topnotch on a server? do people come and tell you that?

I see a lot of names on my server pop up regularly during warzones and I know who I rather work with and who I rather face instead of team-up with... But I don't really know who is the beeznees and who is just a run-off-the-mill. Please enlighten me.

It isnt the size of your blaster that counts its how much damage you do. I really dont know how you get to be "number 1 player" on a server i wasnt aware there were any metrics that provided that kind of info. but to answer your question there could be a 3rd party tool or app that mesures damage output somehow?

Its bragging rights really. I supposed if / when they introduce a Ranked PvP you'll have your answer but then again that only mesures PVP Players what about those of us who are passive agressive and dont PvP (like me i know i know im a wuss :D ) no way really to measure how good we are on a server

For someone to claim that they are the best is simply arrogance and likely a massive exaggeration. For other people to make the claim about someone else tends to hold more weight.

I know a lot of ***really*** good PvPers on my server, but I would never be able to pin down a single one as best. Many of them shine in their roles. Many of them shine because they are good players, playing a powerful class. The title of "best" is a bit silly in terms of PvP. No matter how good you are, someone out there can beat you.

I mean what are the odds that a Merc beats a Shadow tank in DPS gear? It's a longshot, but I've done it 1v1 on Ilum. Does that mean that I'm a better player or that lolMerc is a stronger class than Shadow Tank in DPS gear? No, it just means that in that moment I made fewer mistakes and scored more crits.

Edited by ekwalizer

I am a PvP player, I don' know who might be the best PvP players on my servers. Sure, I recognize the names of players who play a lot of PvP. I know which healers are good, and who I like to guard. I play mostly in PUGs, but if I see at least 3 names of people who I think are good players, I am quite certain that we will win that match.

I think that I might be one of the better players on my server (pretty often most medals in warzones, also get quite a few MVP votes and people ask me if I would like to queue with them together). But my server has plenty of good PvP players on the Republic side, so I don't know if the Imp players know who are all the Rep players that are making them bleed.

Edited by Drudenfusz

PvP:

Situational awareness.

Can you name the people who defended the doors / turrets after the game? Do you know the names of the people who scored in huttball? Do you know who assisted them scoring?

The names of people who leave a turret fight, when it's clear that your side will win (as in 6vs2).

If you see these & similiar things - you can start looking at the damage / healing / protection chart. If a player is very high there AND is playing objective based (of course over multiple warzones, and keep team composition (premades, randoms, ...) in mind). He's probably a good player.

Is he the best? Maybe - dont know. But he is one of the best.

OK, so now I can most definitely assume that there's no real way of measuring ones epicness... Then how do you stand out in a crowd of pugs?

For example: as a healer with an inactive guild, I pug a lot of warzones. I am 98% of the times the number 1 healer in a warzone, while at the same time doing a decent amount of damage (barely not hitting the 75k mark). I assist in combat by relieving pressure through my CC's and I can even hold my own against some players who try to focus me. I communicate as much as possible.

Despite all these things, I don't feel I am quickly recognized by my fellow PUGgers as a good player.

Now, don't get me wrong. I have no allures that I am the best or even among the best. I do however would like to know if I'm any good, and if not, how to improve myself. I would like to be recognized by people who are better than me, so that I one day may be able to find a good group that allows me to queue with them.

Therefore my question: what makes a player a good player :-)

OK, so now I can most definitely assume that there's no real way of measuring ones epicness... Then how do you stand out in a crowd of pugs?

For example: as a healer with an inactive guild, I pug a lot of warzones. I am 98% of the times the number 1 healer in a warzone, while at the same time doing a decent amount of damage (barely not hitting the 75k mark). I assist in combat by relieving pressure through my CC's and I can even hold my own against some players who try to focus me. I communicate as much as possible.

Despite all these things, I don't feel I am quickly recognized by my fellow PUGgers as a good player.

Now, don't get me wrong. I have no allures that I am the best or even among the best. I do however would like to know if I'm any good, and if not, how to improve myself. I would like to be recognized by people who are better than me, so that I one day may be able to find a good group that allows me to queue with them.

Therefore my question: what makes a player a good player :-)

If you see other good players that you want to group with then engage them in conversation and ask about grouping together. Waiting for recognition is just wasting your time, show the initiative and drive in game to connect with other good pvp'ers and you'll quickly be in the ranks.

Talk with other players between warzones. I got asked often enough be healers after a warzone if it was me who had guarded them, when they were not sure who had guarded them, that was other enough to get into a discussion and sometimes forming a group to play together in the next warzone. But you can start conversations for anything you like, this social interaction also helps that people will remember you and might watch out for you in the next warzone.

OK, that's some good advice :-) I'll try to be more socially vocal in the future... I do tend to help people out in general chat by answering questions... But I don't like to whisper someone and force myself upon them... I'm a bit socially awkward :o

OK, that's some good advice :-) I'll try to be more socially vocal in the future... I do tend to help people out in general chat by answering questions... But I don't like to whisper someone and force myself upon them... I'm a bit socially awkward :o

We're playing MMOs, that guy you are talking to is just as socially awkward despite how confident they may seem.

The only fact you need to know is, that the actual awesome players don't give a **** about e-fame and would rather just play the game. It's usually the mediocre that proclaim such things.

It's the same phenomenon in everything in life. The slightly above average think they are awesome while the truly awesome know they still have much to learn. Then there is the self-aware, honest people who know they can never be the greatest, so they don't even pretend that they are.

It's a quantifiable function of the ego and it's not their fault they aren't aware of it so there is no cause for bashing.

Yea, I had a very pompous wind bag guild mate say to me while I was duoing the dailies once... "I'm one of the top healers on the server!"

I was like "K, thanks for that..."

/g "Hey guys, is this <insert player name> dude one of your more respectable guild mates?"

>"Yea, he rawks"

>"Yes sir!"

>"K, thanks. Just checking before I did this.... See ya."

/gquit

I refuse to be in a guild with pretentious elitist - WITH followers. :rolleyes:

I was just wondering, what criteria do you use in PvE and PvP to determine wether or not someone is among the best on the server?

Secondary question: Why would anyone think they are topnotch on a server? do people come and tell you that?

I see a lot of names on my server pop up regularly during warzones and I know who I rather work with and who I rather face instead of team-up with... But I don't really know who is the beeznees and who is just a run-off-the-mill. Please enlighten me.

As for being the "Best" for me it is not that hard. Sometimes when I log in there is only a few people, if any, on the planet I am on. I just see what class they are playing and if none of them are playing my class I know I am the best <insert class> player on the planet.

Head to fleet and find 10 people max, It is not hard for me to figure out that I am "One of the top ten players" on my server.

It's so easy to be "a legend in my own mind" on a dead server.

I'm guessing the top PvP players all have waistline measurements of 40" - 52".

Bazinga

Fixed.

And being the best is relative to your competition. If you're playing with below average casuals, you could easily look like king ****, then get into a real match and get stomped. Gear has added another vail over your ability to determine the best. Optimally, with all other things equal, skill should be the only factor. I define skill as many things:

• Communication skills
  • Twitch reaction (reaction delay)
  • Reacting properly to a given situation (cooldowns, fight-or-flight)
  • Skill spec and skill rotation
  • Team play
  • Maximization of gear through modding
  • Situational awareness (as stated by someone else)

There are so many more, but these are what I attain to when I PVP. If you lack in any of these areas, you my friend are not the best.

Ps. Everything in the match summary report means jack squat.

As for being the "Best" for me it is not that hard. Sometimes when I log in there is only a few people, if any, on the planet I am on. I just see what class they are playing and if none of them are playing my class I know I am the best <insert class> player on the planet.

Head to fleet and find 10 people max, It is not hard for me to figure out that I am "One of the top ten players" on my server.

It's so easy to be "a legend in my own mind" on a dead server.

I'm the best because my mom tells me that every day!

Because everyone's the greatest PvP or raiding master lol :D

Well all the good pvp'rs will (or have already left) leave for GW2, so only bads will be left by default to claim top dog in their respective classes.

I think some, like myself, will going to play both games... at least should BioWare do nothing stupid again with SWTOR and GW2 will not disappoint.

I think some, like myself, will going to play both games... at least should BioWare do nothing stupid again with SWTOR and GW2 will not disappoint.

The GW2 starting zone (for Charr at least, the only character I tested) was pretty awesome, and I hear the human one is really awesome too. Then again, SWTOR has Ord Mantel, which was a really fun planet where there were quest givers no matter where I ran, and the rebel base was a really fun, well designed level. Returning to questgivers there wasn't a pain at all, and mobs dropped pretty fast. I was disappointed that the non-starter planets in SWTOR weren't nearly as good, and even Tattooine felt very railish despite the illusion of openness (mobs everywhere, high cliffs that go along a corridor, etc.) Corellia looked really good in the background, but... it felt cold, very artificial, too many gray blocks, and pretty much all of it was in the gritty underground -_-

Fixed.

And being the best is relative to your competition. If you're playing with below average casuals, you could easily look like king ****, then get into a real match and get stomped. Gear has added another vail over your ability to determine the best. Optimally, with all other things equal, skill should be the only factor. I define skill as many things:

• Communication skills
  • Twitch reaction (reaction delay)
  • Reacting properly to a given situation (cooldowns, fight-or-flight)
  • Skill spec and skill rotation
  • Team play
  • Maximization of gear through modding
  • Situational awareness (as stated by someone else)

There are so many more, but these are what I attain to when I PVP. If you lack in any of these areas, you my friend are not the best.

Ps. Everything in the match summary report means jack squat.

These are some good pointers to look out for :-) thx. I know I'm not the best yet, but I would like to be the best I can be, if you know what I mean :-P

Follow-up question: How does one promote teamplay with PUGs? do you spam the OPS-chat with strats before the zone starts? do you give a quick summary of what to do in each zone? and is it a good thing to do it when you're not the ops leader?

In PVP, because of the same faction pvp you can see everyone from both sides, and get a good sense quickly of who's good, and who's off in a corner by themselves trying to leech points. You can also tell from things like who has a 'war hero' title (they've obviously done a lot of PVP, although by now you're looking for people with the level 80 title whatever it is), who gets a lot of medals (they definitely participate, not necessarily positively) and so on. You may not know the very best, but you'll know who's good, if you've been around for months and saw who got to the 'good' level first it's pretty easy to figure out who's the best.

With PVE you can find out by reputation who has managed server firsts, who is in the best gear, that sort of thing. If you see someone wandering around in full gear from hard mode denova it's a good bet they are better player, or at the very least will perform better than someone who only has rakata gear. You can't be in a top guild and be bad, you won't last. Whereas my guild can tolerate people who do stupid things over and over, and we struggle to find 8 people some nights, a top guild will have 11 or 12 people for 8 spots if not more, and if you aren't performing you'll be replaced by someone who will. That tends to ween people out who aren't pulling their weight quickly.

There can be great players in bad gear. But top guilds apply a selection pressure to make sure they only have top players, and by being top guilds they have the best gear, so their players tend to perform the best.

Even just talking to people. Do they understand anything beyond just their personal role? I tank DPS and heal in our raids, but when I'm healing we usually die a lot, so it's a good bet I'm not the one to talk to for healing. Even within their role do they understand, and are they capable of executing more than just 'mash buttons for dps, tps or hps?' Good players know to interrupt, and know how to coordinate interrupts if needed. Bad players need to be told to interrupt and told all the time. Put another way, you're looking for people who understand MMO's, not people who recognize the behaviours. You can see a lot of the people who made SWTOR had the behavirous down but didn't really grasp the underlying reasoning behind things, and so they missed some important features and designs.

These are some good pointers to look out for :-) thx. I know I'm not the best yet, but I would like to be the best I can be, if you know what I mean :-P

Follow-up question: How does one promote teamplay with PUGs? do you spam the OPS-chat with strats before the zone starts? do you give a quick summary of what to do in each zone? and is it a good thing to do it when you're not the ops leader?

Being ops leader means squat too; not being it shouldn't hold you back from guiding your team. It's best to at least say some basic strat in the prep time. Good advice or not, it will either push the team in a concentrated effort or spur others who are more experienced to speak up. Be objective in ops chat instead of condescending. If you start whining, people stop listening.

Just use uncommon sense.