Why all the complaints about the price of legacy unlocks?

Gargion

1,000,000 credits really isn't a lot. I'm a casual player--I play when I get the time, typically about 2 hours a day--yet, I managed to get about 1,000,000 creds in about 3 weeks. It's really not that hard? Why all the griping about the high cost of things you have to EARN? I'm sorry, but I feel like Blizzard ruined WoW by making everything too easy to get. I don't want SWTOR to be the same way. Otherwise I have nothing to work for.

So tell me, if I can get 1,000,000 creds in about 3 weeks simply by doing dailies, what's the big deal?

EDIT: Also, a lot of the unlocks apply to ALL of your chars. on a server. So that means it's a one time cost for up to 8 chars.

Edited by Gargion

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind the cost in itself. what I do mind is that it feels like a rip-off, compared to other prices. the fleet pass thing? you've got to be kidding. I'd rather buy 6000 fleet passes, especially considering the few hours it gives you don't really do all that much .. I use the fleet pass once a day, or even less. if I were one of the people that jumped around all the time (so lowering the cooldown would be worth something).. then 3 hours less will still be stupid. Edited by amnie

I don't mind the cost in itself. what I do mind is that it feels like a rip-off, compared to other prices. the fleet pass thing? you've got to be kidding. I'd rather buy 6000 fleet passes.

That's what I do. Secruity Key Vendor FTW!

1,000,000 credits really isn't a lot. I'm a casual player--I play when I get the time, typically about 2 hours a day--yet, I managed to get about 1,000,000 creds in about 3 weeks. It's really not that hard? Why all the griping about the high cost of things you have to EARN? I'm sorry, but I feel like Blizzard ruined WoW by making everything too easy to get. I don't want SWTOR to be the same way. Otherwise I have nothing to work for.

So tell me, if I can get 1,000,000 creds in about 3 weeks simply by doing dailies, what's the big deal?

Oh goody! all the legacy unlocks just cost 1,000,000 creds? I'll log in and buy them all now!

this thread is a joke

Edited by ChazDoit

add all the unlock costs and report back.

I calculated 14,500,000

So...

If I made 1 Mil in 3 weeks...

That means...

to make 14.5 mil

Would take me approx. 43.5 weeks.

Which is less than the Approx. 52 Weeks in a year.

Also. In regard to the comment about the worthless fleet pass: I think the purpose is for people to buy what BEST suits their needs. I don't think Bioware EXPECTS people to be able to unlock every ability or perk. That's the beauty of it... choices.

EDIT: Also, these numbers are almost Purely from dailies. This doesn't include actually going out and purposefully gaining credits by farming, selling, stc.

Edited by Gargion

Oh goody! all the legacy unlocks just cost 1,000,000 creds? I'll log in and buy them all now!

this thread is a joke

No, they don't, but the most expensive is 5 Mil. Which would still be only 15 weeks. That's a lot of game time, but B/W wants people to have something to work for.

*NOTE. My figures DO NOT include the character species unlocks.

EDIT: Also, a lot of the unlocks apply to ALL of your chars. on a server. So that means it's a one time cost for up to 8 chars.

Because legacy was supposed to push you to rolling alts and experience something new. Not a huge load of credit farming. Mind you I've farmed 4m in 3 weeks, yet I'm still FAR from unlocking half of legacy stuff, considering you need those millions for many other things such as modding level 50 gear, vehicles and whatever. And TBH, now I'm completely tired of money farming. I don't think I'll ever unlock any races or that ship GTM unless their prices are reduced.

here's the secret to making money.

"don't pvp so much"

i'm a crafter. i can make a million credits in 2 days if i wanted to. i "retired" from making money when i hit 26 million.

helps being on an awesome server too.

No, they don't, but the most expensive is 5 Mil. Which would still be only 15 weeks. That's a lot of game time, but B/W wants people to have something to work for.

Dude your figures mean you have to farm money for a YEAR to unlock ship upgrades + rocket boost etc.

We don't even know this game will live that long.

After so many threads about the overpriced legacy unlocks, to come and ask "why all the complaints" is a joke, you should have read those threads and read actually why instead of sitting here and ask.

Because legacy was supposed to push you to rolling alts and experience something new. Not a huge load of credit farming. Mind you I've farmed 4m in 3 weeks, yet I'm still FAR from unlocking half of legacy stuff, considering you need those millions for many other things such as modding level 50 gear, vehicles and whatever. And TBH, now I'm completely tired of money farming. I don't think I'll ever unlock any races or that ship GTM unless their prices are reduced.

I guess I somewhat see the point here because:

We will need credits to mod gear when we get even MORE options, or the next tier.

However, I guess what I fail to get is why everyone is expecting to unlock everything?

I've picked what I'm unlocking first. Then if I get the credits I'll maybe unlock others. I feel like the species unlocks are pointless, because you get them for free when you play up to level 50 as a species. But maybe that's just me.

I do agree with the alt. distractions, but if you think about this: when you get multiple chars to 50 you can earn even more credits from dailies, and thus reach legacy goals faster.

My main gripe is simple.

initially it was put forth as

at legacy X you will get reward Y!

love bioware!

instead it turned out to be

at legacy x you can spend a metric ****ton of credits to get reward y.

I am a casual player, I have limited time to play. I have NEVER had a million credits at one time.

Three weeks of grinding you say? Given my limited time it would take me upwards of a month or more.

I, with my limited play time do not want to do the same thing over and over and over for a couple of months.

Time sinks are in my view bad design, and given my time constraints not only boring and repetitive but a real good argument for not playing and doing something else.

At least that's my view. Others have a different view

I'm not crazy about running the same dailies all the time to get creds. It gets boring really quickly. I prefer to do crafting, but crafting costs creds to make creds. I still make more creds on crafting than I lose, but it's a fine line sometimes when some of my mats are outrageously priced on GTN. Farming creds is another time waste, but I'll do it occasionally if I want a little more creds in my bank than I had before. But, like running dailies all the time..that can get boring, too.

So, I gave up on getting the legacy unlocks. Too expensive for my blood. Plus, most of the stuff doesn't appeal to me at all. The only thing I wanted was the species unlocks and it's not worth 1.5 mil for me to get ONE or to be forced to play to 50 on an alt I don't really want just to have a species available for an alt that I DO.

So, meh. :cool:

I unlocked the ships mailbox and repair droid the day 1.2 came out, and I just unlocked the GTN terminal last night.

Does it take a little effort? Yes.

Is it unreasonable? Not by any means.

My main gripe is simple.

initially it was put forth as

at legacy X you will get reward Y!

love bioware!

instead it turned out to be

at legacy x you can spend a metric ****ton of credits to get reward y.

/this

I've got Legacy LvL 46 and it's totally worthless until I spend millions of credits. Credits that I don't have due to the fact that I'm running operations six days a week with my four chars at LvL 50. I've got no time left to farm credits.

/this

I've got Legacy LvL 46 and it's totally worthless until I spend millions of credits. Credits that I don't have due to the fact that I'm running operations six days a week with my four chars at LvL 50. I've got no time left to farm credits.

I think a lot of people are missing the point here. I have never "Farmed" credits. I simply have been doing my dailies to get the two implants and earpiece i need. Just so happen to get the money with it. And also...Damn. 6 Days a week, That's freaking intense.

I calculated 14,500,000

So...

That means...

to make 14.5 mil

Also. In regard to the comment about the worthless fleet pass: I think the purpose is for people to buy what BEST suits their needs. I don't think Bioware EXPECTS people to be able to unlock every ability or perk. That's the beauty of it... choices.

EDIT: Also, these numbers are almost Purely from dailies. This doesn't include actually going out and purposefully gaining credits by farming, selling, stc.

Actually, this is the problem. For me, the only way to unlock legacy benefits is spending 100% of my time doing dailies on my level 50 character for most of a year. Or I can craft, but that requires an active GTN to do successfully--which doesn't exist on my server.

So farming dailies over and over for a year is the only real option. As a person who enjoys new stories and leveling alts, that sounds boring as hell to me. Maybe grinding is something you like. But the real problem is grinding is the only option for some people right now.

I'm not saying we should lower the price of legacy unlocks and be done with it. All I'm saying is there should be more than one way to unlock legacy benefits to match different play styles. Instead of just rewarding grinding, reward PvP, reward alt-oholics, reward raiders. Let me spend (a reasonable) amount of warzone commendations on unlocks, etc.

I'm not saying we don't need to earn it. I'm saying there should be different ways of earning it to match different play styles. Right now, with my preferred play style (PvP and leveling alts), it is very difficult to unlock the legacy rewards because neither PvP nor the level 1-40 experience give a noticeable amount of credits.

Edited by xukaiwen

Self-entitlement is the major thing.

This thing has also plagued the Wrath generation of WoW. 5 days after Cataclysm was released, people were already complaining that heroics were too hard and asking for them to be nerfed.

Oh look, you're coming into a thread to bash WoW again.

What did the game do to hurt you so much?

I calculated 14,500,000

So...

That means...

to make 14.5 mil

Just wanted to add two things...

1.) This assumes you don't do any HMs or OPs and need to repair your armor, buy stims, or health packs.

2.) If it takes 2-3 hours a day to do dailies five times week, that is 430-645 hours of running the same dailies again and again and again. I'd have more fun pulling my teeth with pliers than going through that.

Plain and simple, the stuff is stupidly priced at all levels for what you get. 200 daily commendations for a L14 piece of armor? What? 2M credits for a rocket boost that has limited use? 1M credits for a repair droid that gives me the same repair costs as another vendor? 1.2 million credits for an orange set of legacy armor that I can't deconstruct to craft. Really - 1.2 million credits to outfit a companion?

It is a stupid and needless grind introduced to keep players playing. Only so many rotations on the hamster wheel anyone can stomach.....

Dude your figures mean you have to farm money for a YEAR to unlock ship upgrades + rocket boost etc.

We don't even know this game will live that long.

Sorry, but I just wanted to say thanks for the chuckle this morning. Almost put coffee all over my monitor.

Edited by Wayshuba

Just wanted to add two things...

1.) This assumes you don't do any HMs or OPs and need to repair your armor, buy stims, or health packs.

2.) If it takes 2-3 hours a day to do dailies five times week, that is 430-645 hours of running the same dailies again and again and again. I'd have more fun pulling my teeth with pliers than going through that.

Plain and simple, the stuff is stupidly priced at all levels for what you get. 200 daily commendations for a L14 piece of armor? What? 2M credits for a rocket boost that has limited use? 1M credits for a repair droid that gives me the same repair costs as another vendor? 1.2 million credits for an orange set of legacy armor that I can't deconstruct to craft. Really - 1.2 million credits to outfit a companion?

It is a stupid and needless grind introduced to keep players playing. Only so many rotations on the hamster wheel anyone can stomach.....

I do HM's and OPs. I understand your point. I just don't experience huge repair bills because I tend to not die. But then again I can't really say much b/c I've only done Story Mode. Which is pretty freaking easy. I mean. You guys have legitimately answered my question. I understand why. I'm still not upset about the prices though.

Kinda understand the bit of disappointment with legacy that this causes, if you really can't use any of the features.

I'm not saying we don't need to earn it. I'm saying there should be different ways of earning it to match different play styles. Right now, with my preferred play style (PvP and leveling alts), it is very difficult to unlock the legacy rewards because neither PvP nor the level 1-40 experience give a noticeable amount of credits.

Good point. SWTOR is the only MMO I have ever played where doing regular HM instances (flashpoints) and raids (operations) has me exiting with less cash than I went in there with. This is where, in most MMOs, many make their cash, not another money sink.

This game has far more money sinks than it does cash generators (which is pretty much the dailies at level 50) and crafting (when the GTN actually works and we stop having crafted items people want as BoE - *** is up with that?)