What can be done to keep SWTOR strong?

Kywan

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, this post is getting old, you've already abused it many many times today.

It's kind of true though. You honestly think they just randomly decided to give out free game time "to show appreciation?" I don't think they did it to float subscription numbers for some quarterly report, but I do think they did knowing they are losing way more subs than they expected. They probably just did it knowing they weren't going to get 1.3 out this month, and would lose a lot of subs over it.

I was thinking more in terms of keeping the existing player base, adding new ones is always ongoing.

Any game additions or changes you would like to keep people playing at 50 and interested in the bulk of content already ingame?

How about they fix the damn game and quit charging peoples credit cards? I mean seriously, they seriously want us to PAY for this game in its current state? Your'e insane if your not unsubbed yet if you dont reside on a heavy pop server! Me and my son have been unsubbed for almost a month now because Black Vulkars is dead and we cant find a group to finish heroic quests or doing any flashpoints on Republic side...... thats $30.00/month GONE to the wind and possibly never to return........ so yeah, if they dont fix the MAJOR issues by Tuesday their gonna be a sitting duck.

How about they fix the damn game and quit charging peoples credit cards? I mean seriously, they seriously want us to PAY for this game in its current state? Your'e insane if your not unsubbed yet if you dont reside on a heavy pop server! Me and my son have been unsubbed for almost a month now because Black Vulkars is dead and we cant find a group to finish heroic quests or doing any flashpoints on Republic side...... thats $30.00/month GONE to the wind and possibly never to return........ so yeah, if they dont fix the MAJOR issues by Tuesday their gonna be a sitting duck.

I unsubbed today, there is a common theme here and endgame is it.

I will come back when there is a reason other than dailies or repetative pvp to log on for. I hope they break out of the trans and start opening up the Star Wars to the players.

Well i'll tell you what BioWare can do to keep me from playing.

1. Coruscant and Dromund Kaas as capital planets social hub.

2. Unlock all the Legacy bonus.

3. More class story content. (not just raid content + daily zone)

4. LFG tool (obvious)- doens't have to be like WoW LFG. Can be as simple as a global I want to que for this dungeon and everyone on the server can see it.

5. Ship customization.

6. Better world PvP. Similar to GW2 WvWvW.

Edited by Idunhavaname

Rateds and being able to customize the skin of your gear whilst keeping stats.

If you are referring to rated warzones, that idea didn't exactly go over well in another game.

Here's the typical scenario

#1 LF healer or DPS for rated warzone.

#2 I'll go

#1 Whats your experience and gear?

#2 I'm fully geared have tons of pvp experience.

#1 Any rated experience?

#2 Nope

#1 Sorry you can't go

#2 How am I supposed to get this experience you refer to if I'm never able to join a rated group?

#1 Not my problem

I feel the answer unltimately to the dwindling subs is endgame, a term that is foreign to sandbox games. Although everyone gets there in there own time, the results once there seem to be predictable.....they quit.

This is sadly where themepark style games are weak, it is fair to argue Sandbox games never attain a real large base to begin with, but a merge of the two may be the ballance we need.

I would urge Bioware to consider more content inline with the freedom, exploration and creativity a sandbox has to offer as they have already put forth an amazing themepark.

This may seem confusing to players who pvp to 50, but anyone who spent the time to playout the stories on each planet to level would agree. Alot of work has been done to create vibrant, living worlds, now we need ideas and suggestions for us to visit them, repeatable missions aren't enough.

Those who have played other games long term please feel free to offer your insight into what kept you there.

I used to spend hours in SWG looking for starship parts, farming parts for my saber, decorating my homes and ships, engaging in open world pvp, ect.

I agree completely. SWTOR needs more sandbox stuff to it... simple raids and other content will be played through quickly without fail and always grow tiring quickly. Give us some RVR zones/open-world PVP objective-based zones, housing/ship customization/decoration, reason to farm stuff, etc. etc. There needs to be more "fun" stuff and more meaningful stuff than "the instance that exists for ten minutes goes poof! team A won! ok, no one cares now, bye."

Well i'll tell you what BioWare can do to keep me from playing.

1. Coruscant and Dromund Kaas as capital planets social hub.

2. Unlock all the Legacy bonus.

3. More class story content. (not just raid content + daily zone)

4. LFG tool (obvious)- doens't have to be like WoW LFG. Can be as simple as a global I want to que for this dungeon and everyone on the server can see it.

5. Ship customization.

6. Better world PvP. Similar to GW2 WvWvW.

I agree with all but #1 (it would be great to see the capital worlds be the Fleet replacement, and the Fleet terminals to go bye-bye instead, but for now unless you did that it would serve little purpose) and only mostly agree on #4 (a good one for many people, but 4 is simply because I don't ever find a need to use an LFG tool, instead relying on friends/guildmates... if I were a more solo player I would want it and it's not bad for off-hours anyway).

Edited by Ancen

What can be done to keep SWTOR strong? Easy answer..Nothing.

No one enjoys realy long load screens and constent cut scenese just to get to a freakn planet or fleet more then i do.

If im on the fleet and wish to go to any planet..I must go through 6 freakn load screens to put my feet on the planet lol.

Only thing that can save this game is for bioware to drop EA But that wont happen and im so sick of global CD's for all my skills..realy? come on i gota stand there like a tard to wait for the cd to use a skill...not the players fault for you making easy targets to kill in this game.

Realy love those windows in the wz's revive rooms.. such joy running into the window while the team gets picked off becuase they become outnumered as a player dies. So fun!

Its hard to stay strong when big game like Elder Scroll Online is coming. :rolleyes:

Yeah, in around a YEAR AND A HALF assuming no delays. Haha. You're kidding, right?

What can be done to keep SWTOR strong? Easy answer..Nothing.

No one enjoys realy long load screens and constent cut scenese just to get to a freakn planet or fleet more then i do.

If im on the fleet and wish to go to any planet..I must go through 6 freakn load screens to put my feet on the planet lol.

Only thing that can save this game is for bioware to drop EA But that wont happen and im so sick of global CD's for all my skills..realy? come on i gota stand there like a tard to wait for the cd to use a skill...not the players fault for you making easy targets to kill in this game.

Realy love those windows in the wz's revive rooms.. such joy running into the window while the team gets picked off becuase they become outnumered as a player dies. So fun!

Load screens are 5-10s flat for me even on Taris/Corellia... get an SSD, they're under $1/gb nowadays regularly.

I go through 3 screens typically, maximum. One to go to the fleet with my 1k credit once-an-hour fleet pass. One to go to my ship. One to get off my ship to the spaceport. Big whoop.

GCD is a standard system in MMO's nowadays, there are many skills on some classes that don't respect it if you want a faster-paced playstyle such as the Sentinel/Marauder.

So as far as the windows to space out respawns, you'd prefer it were opaque so you could stare at a blank wall until it opened? ROFL. With the transparency you can see what's going on still while in "time-out" for your death.

1. server mergers

2. end game crafting ( all gear should be able to be made orange no matter what level ) opens up loads of customization and economy options

3. in game guild rankings

4. ranked x server pvp and open world pvp

5. better communication from developers

There are only two things that you can do with other players: raid or pvp. I think there should be something else as well, but I have no suggestion what at this time.

Most of the earlier suggestions in the thread are already in or are not important. For example: server mergers are only a temporary help. They wont fix the cause to the population problem: People not logging in. Players need stuff to do.

I agree with the guy who said more sandbox stuff.

Edited by Karkais

Some ideas:

1- Racing on Tatooine (speeders, bikes, whatever).

2- Space Combat PVP

3- Space Combat on Operations (yeah, kill a boss on ground and on space too; maybe u can even split the group).

4- Look for raid system

5- Cross server PVP

6- Servers Tranfers ASAP

7- Less servers

8- More PVE content (flashs and ops)

9- A better customization system (to change your apearence in some ways: haircut, beard, etc)

10- Better designed endgame gear, for Christ sake.

11- More in-game events

12- The option to change factions

13- Epic Mounts for each class (for example, the Basilisk Droid for the Bounty-Hunters or a Mecha for the Trooper)

14- Buy personal ships

15- Keep the storyline coming!!!

[13- Epic Mounts for each class (for example, the Basilisk Droid for the Bounty-Hunters or a Mecha for the Trooper)]

hmm...I don't think mounts would do much to help this game. WoW has this game beat in that category.

But there is one thing this game could have that WoW could never... unique companion drops!

Here's what I mean:

Bioware adds to the game a series of companions only obtainable from raids, pvp, or online store purchases.

Here's why:

1. They would add extra incentive to farm raids, pvp, or pay Bioware money (they want that).

2. At best, these companions could have their own exclusive stories, dialogues, moves, etc (which is good for us). At worse, They could simply be reskins of already existing characters (same moves, different dialogue), but with the novelty of being exclusive (easy for Bioware to make).

3. Bioware is a company, which needs money, and will only implement ideas that make them( and EA) money (this game wasn't cheap, if I recall). Google "Blizzard Celestial Steed". That simple reskin made Blizzard 2 mil in four hours (FOUR HOURS) at the price of $25.

Bioware has got to see the money making potential in this. making companion characters i mean.

Not mounts, These mounts suck.

Awesome suggestions:

HK-47- query- May I randomly join one of you "meatbags"?

Ghost Revan- I don't care if the canon prevents him/her from being a companion. I'd happily grind any raid for a chance to have greatness at my side.

Ghost Exile- same as Revan

any major character from the original SW trilogy(sigh, and the extended trilogy too, I guess)- Sure they break the canon too, but having Darth Vader repeat "Impressive, most impressive" every time I murder someone would make my day.

Any other major character from SW: KOTOR ( if they could get KOTOR2 characters as well, even better!)- Carth Onasi, Jolee Bindo, Canderous Ordo, Visas Marr, Brianna, Kreia (she could still be alive, right?). All would be welcome on board my ship, there's still room in the cargo hold.

If anyone agrees with me, please feel free to mention any possibilities I've missed.

Edited by Namassos

Its hard to stay strong when big game like Elder Scroll Online is coming. :rolleyes:

Which will only be an ES game in name only. From the sounds of things, it will have no relationship to the ES worlds and canon from the other games (Major Fail). And it will apparently be built upon the Hero Engine, which SWTOR uses, and is supposed to be a bad thing (though I've never had issues yet).

GW2 will be the only real threat to any other MMO in this genre, but if GW1 gives any indication, it won't have too much of a long term impact, and we'll all be able to copy and paste these threads to their forum as they'll be going through the same thing.

[13- Epic Mounts for each class (for example, the Basilisk Droid for the Bounty-Hunters or a Mecha for the Trooper)]

hmm...I don't think mounts would do much to help this game. WoW has this game beat in that category.

But there is one thing this game could have that WoW could never... unique companion drops!

<snip>

If anyone agrees with me, please feel free to mention any possibilities I've missed.

While that is an interesting concept, and may work with companions unique to the game, your idea of having characters from other games or time periods in the canon is just not going to fly. Big George wouldn't allow it for one thing, and the contract EA/BW have with LA probably prevents them from using any content not directly canon from the time period that this game encompasses.

BJ

They absolutely have to step up support for roleplayers.

From another thread...

For me, the big problem I have with the game is that it's extremely roleplayer-unfriendly; there's a severe lack of options for roleplayers, from character customization to in-world activities that enhance roleplay. Any time you develop a game around such a cherished and canon-rich franchise as Star Wars, you have to account for the roleplayers, but I feel as if the team has largely ignored this section of players for the usual reason--we're a minority or niche group.

Being told you exist as part of a minority group does little to inspire confidence, yet this is precisely what the team does when they make statements like these (in reference to chat bubbles):

They’ll be coming soon, but in priority, the GUI team is focused first on GUI customization. I'll have a better idea of timing once we get past that. And yes, for people who hate them, whenever we do them, they'll be toggleable.

Saying nothing of the fact that we're now past GUI customization, the statement about "priority" speaks volumes. The team likes to proclaim that they support all play types--PvE, PvP, RP--yet the evidence is in the pudding (awful expression). They gave us the Legacy System which was supposedly a big boost for roleplayers, but I find myself scratching my head at this one. Where is the support for roleplay?

Is it the family tree that you can't share or include your friends in?

The emotes you have to unlock by grinding credits or social points?

Is it the species unlocks which also require grinding content which is not roleplay?

The usual retort to any argument in support of roleplay features is usually this: "Roleplayers can use their imagination and willful suspension of disbelief, why can't you?" To which I reply, "My imagination is free. What's the point of a monthly subscription to use it?"

I get that development is costly and time-consuming. I get that there's a whole larger section of players out there who don't care for roleplay, but the roleplaying community is only asking for things which any player can use to their benefit (or toggle off if they choose): chat bubbles, sitting in chairs, shareable biography page, more numerous animated emotes, shareable family tree (now that we have one), sociable mini-games, and some more in-game locations for roleplaying.

If roleplay is supported in this game, it should get some priority. Once we have the tools to do what we do, we're an extremely loyal group of players who can hunker down and weather just about anything the game throws at us. As it is, SWTOR doesn't give us enough.

I feel the answer unltimately to the dwindling subs is endgame, a term that is foreign to sandbox games. Although everyone gets there in there own time, the results once there seem to be predictable.....they quit.

This is sadly where themepark style games are weak, it is fair to argue Sandbox games never attain a real large base to begin with, but a merge of the two may be the ballance we need.

I would urge Bioware to consider more content inline with the freedom, exploration and creativity a sandbox has to offer as they have already put forth an amazing themepark.

This may seem confusing to players who pvp to 50, but anyone who spent the time to playout the stories on each planet to level would agree. Alot of work has been done to create vibrant, living worlds, now we need ideas and suggestions for us to visit them, repeatable missions aren't enough.

Those who have played other games long term please feel free to offer your insight into what kept you there.

I used to spend hours in SWG looking for starship parts, farming parts for my saber, decorating my homes and ships, engaging in open world pvp, ect.

SWTOR isn't a "sandbox" game.

Server tranfers obviously.

x-server not same server lfg tool so people who dont raid or arent in big guilds can experience more of the content without it taking 3 or 4 hours to run an fp.

Incentives for everyone to do flashpoints so there are people who will que up in the x-server lfg tool.

Dual specs, again so it is easier to fill out fps groups for the lfg tool.

Gear scoring, so they dont put under geared people into the more difficult hm fps and give them and the rest of their group a bad experience.

Thiis game has great content, its biggest downfall is that most of the players dont get to see most of it, a modern mmo needs to make sure its players can see the content that makes the game great in the limited time most players have to play.

whether its doing fps while leveling up (i think everyone should be able to do every fp atleast once while leveling up) or end game (people should be able to to log in and do a hm fp in a reasonable anount of time) not log in lfg for 2 hours then not have the time to run the fp or just log off disapointed.

In short, they need to make people want to play the game, and i think these are the best ways to do that right now, sure theres alot more they can do but i think if they did these things this game would turn around immediately.

Edited by Mallorik