Speaking of free months....

I've been going over the months in my head. I got this game for Christmas and registered it the day after. However, I didn't have a credit card, so I waited for the time cards to release. I picked up a 60 day card in Best Buy in March and my sub runs out in like 9 days. So I got the sixty days of play, but the game itself gives you a free 30 days for subscribing, right? So I should be done by June, if I'm correct. Are time cards not covered with the free month of play or did I do something wrong?

Not that I'm complaining. I had fun and will resub in September. I'm going on vacation to New York, then Florida and then I'm going to Puerto Rico for the rest of it so I won't be on the internet for quite some time. Just seeking a little clarification. Community Managers and forumites are welcome to assist and I thank you for your time.

May the Dark Side provide you cookies,

Darth_Moonshadow

Generally, the clock starts when you register the game, so if you registered the game on December 26th, your free play time would have been ticking down between 12/26/2011 and 1/26/2012. If your game time expires in 9 days, and you purchased a 60 day game card in March, that suggests that you applied that game card on or about March 17th, which would pay for your March to April and your April to May play time. Looking at it from that perspective, the numbers add up: Dec - Jan for your "free" 30 days and Mar - May for your 60 day game card.

The issue I have with that is that game companies generally don't allow you to register the game until you enter a payment method so that they can continue your subscription automatically after the first 30 days expires. With a credit card, you can cancel before the 30 days is elapsed so you don't get billed after the initial 30 days, but you still have to enter the card to get the game registered. I have never used a game card, but I was under the impression that the same restriction appied -- that is, you would have had to enter a game card number at the time you registered in order to complete the registration. Since you said you waited until game cards became available before you started, I would have thought you would have had to wait until March to complete the registration, and, therefore, the "free" time would not have started until March. That should mean March - April would have been the "free" time, and your game card would be paying for April - June, which is clearly what you were expecting.

The other possibility is that they only credited you with a 30 day game card or that they only charge the game card a month at a time. I find either of these things to be unlikely, though. Their database should properly register the type of card, and I would expect them to treat a 60 day game card the same as purchasing a 2 month subscription (i.e., that your time would be credited for the full, non-refundable once it is applied, 60 days, not one month at a time), so you should have been credited with 60 days either way. Unfortunately from your description, it sounds like you did complete the registration in December, which suggests you were credited with free game time then, but you just simply never logged on in that time frame. Since the time starts from the point you register, not from the time you first login, you may be out of luck.

This is something you are going to have to talk to Customer Service to straighten out. Since game companies typically do not allow you to register until you enter a valid (game or credit) card number, you may have some leverage. You may also have a case to argue if you can show that you never logged in during Dec - Jan and that their registration process made you think your time would not start until you got the game card. However, be aware that, if they made it clear your game time was starting in December, even if you did not login, they are not legally obligated to credit you with more time. It would be good for them to cut you some slack, but that time may be lost.

Good luck with it.