Population Estimates for the Top 20 US Servers

Scorpienne

Well, I did the math for the Eur/Aus servers... look on the 2nd tab of the spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aregkvys5QFodFJ2OWN5U0hwaVFBYWdqUUh1WmdZUFE

US = 56,795

EUR/AUS = 43,207

Sum = 100,002

7x = 700,002

10x = 1 million

1 million vs 1.3 million is the reported number of subs. I believe that. Givent the uncertainty in the central premise (light = 250, std = 1000, hvy = 1937.5) then being up or down 30% is pretty darned accurate.

As a professional biologist, I'm happy to be right within a factor of 10 most days....

Paige

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using the ''10%'' rule, we arrive at the following US pop : 560 000

With Europe and Ocean pop, that's pretty close to 1.3 million. The amount of ''I'm paying but not playing'' might not be as high as people think,

It's not.

Most of those were calculated with a 1.7m pop, not a 1.3m one.

I still don't see why they decided that a full server should have around 3000 people. Based on studies calculated on WoW, on an average around 10% of a server's pop is online at a time. So, that's around 300 people on an average on a full server. That's very low.

I just want to make this clear, so you understand where the data are coming from...

This isn't a "Bioware decision" per se... it's merely a /who of the server population when the status changed. It's entirely possible (probable?) that some servers have different population caps.

The definition of a "full" server is one that has 3,000 active characters logged in and doing things, if the correlations between status and population is correct. If you think that is about 10% of the pop is online, that means that the server's real population is 30,000 characters.

My brain cramps when I start thinking about how having multiple characters and characters on multiple servers plays into the model.

Ow. Ow. Ow.

paige

If you extended that further--

If they had stuck to 20 PvE servers as against 70, then average population would be 1676 per server.

10 PvE servers, ave pop = 3353 ( > full) !!!

Oh... hangon... so something like this....

If we calculate the total population, and put 'em on to 2000-person servers (busy, but with room to grow), it would look like this. "2k-servers" means how many 2000-person servers are needed.

41 PvP servers; average pop = 385; total pop = 15,813; 7.9 2k-Servers

70 PvE servers; average pop = 479; total pop = 33,553; 16.8 2k-Servers

3 RP PvP servers; average pop = 680; total pop = 2,040; 1.0 2k-Servers

9 RP PvE servers; average pop = 598; total pop = 5,390; 2.7 2k-Servers

Again, US only.

Paige

Oh... hangon... so something like this....

If we calculate the total population, and put 'em on to 2000-person servers (busy, but with room to grow), it would look like this. "2k-servers" means how many 2000-person servers are needed.

41 PvP servers; average pop = 385; total pop = 15,813; 7.9 2k-Servers

70 PvE servers; average pop = 479; total pop = 33,553; 16.8 2k-Servers

3 RP PvP servers; average pop = 680; total pop = 2,040; 1.0 2k-Servers

9 RP PvE servers; average pop = 598; total pop = 5,390; 2.7 2k-Servers

Again, US only.

Paige

That's a LOT of server merges. E.g. shrinking 70 PvE servers to 17.

That's a LOT of server merges. E.g. shrinking 70 PvE servers to 17.

Well... the folks that live on the 64 servers that have a phi < 1.2 might want to consider packing their bags for the server transfers coming this summer...

I find it fascinating that the RP servers, though a tiny fraction of the population of total servers, have some of the higher populations.

Thoughts?

Paige

I'm not a RP player but I moved to a RP server after leveling my first 50 on a low population server. I did this because of the Social Point system and Social Gear. I figured RP players would be more likely to group up because they wanted Social Points more than the average player. I was mostly right. But even with that working towards my advantage and also being on a Top 10 server, I still have trouble finding groups. My server has slowed down recently. LA used to be Heavy every night but it hasn't hit that status for a couple weeks now.

i never was a fan of RP servers coz i alwys tho they were nuts, but all your posts just made me think to transfer there coz mostly players who play on those kind of servers are more dedicated and active then any other coz of their kind of game how they play it. Anyway was just cuorious can u still kill people of opposite faction at RP realm when u see him on neutral planets? Or there is RP PvP and RP PvE servers?

On Mind Trick, 1.4...and hard to find group.

I'm on Jung Ma, only 0.1 higher (or 100 av pop higher), and have *no* trouble finding groups.

Of course, I tend to ping nearby players and not use General chat. Most people I know have turned off General chat on Jung Ma, which might be why some have trouble finding groups.

Or it could be the RP factor. Lots of people have done something and just feel like helping.

Edited by Teefal

I know they'd never show it, but I would LOVE to get a glimpse of these "metrics" that BW apparently continually uses. The server pop one must look like Blackberry's stock over the same time period, an arrow that projects South East on their cardboard chart. Then, once they've had a chance to digest the info, ask them at what point in the chart should someone have recognized the massive problem unfolding?

It shouldn't take a math wiz to figure out the population numbers were steadily getting worse from server to server. For months, multiple threads have wrapped 1000 posts about population dropping, but in media, and any official reply it was "working as intended" "we have the metrics". All garbage.

I would be interested in doing a poll of the number of 50's from low pop servers that have actually managed to see all of the Operations. I have had the fortune of running exaclty 2 EV and 1 KP since February. Yup, 3 OPS in 3 months due to no population, and 3 failed guilds because of population exodus. Thanks Bioware for ensuring the metrics were working as intended.

i never was a fan of RP servers coz i alwys tho they were nuts, but all your posts just made me think to transfer there coz mostly players who play on those kind of servers are more dedicated and active then any other coz of their kind of game how they play it. Anyway was just cuorious can u still kill people of opposite faction at RP realm when u see him on neutral planets? Or there is RP PvP and RP PvE servers?

RP-PvP servers are *mechanically* exactly like other PvP servers. The difference is that there is a social value to RP. If you don't like RP (think they're nuts) then go move to a more populated PvP server.

Here's the full story.

http://www.swtor-spy.com/guides/choosing-a-server-type-for-swtor-pve-pvp-rp-pve-rp-pvp/307/

Paige

Glad to see Lord Adraas is continuing to do well. East Coast based RP-PVE server, apparently the most crowded of the RP servers atm.

I don't really RP but I can watch other people do it while standing around in the fleet doing WZs. =P

Glad to see Lord Adraas is continuing to do well. East Coast based RP-PVE server, apparently the most crowded of the RP servers atm.

I don't really RP but I can watch other people do it while standing around in the fleet doing WZs. =P

Must be nice getting in wz, kathol rift is dead and starting to rot. PvP ques take at least a hour. Really don't know what to do, i'm use to raiding in wow a lot and quit wow for swtor, now my guild has quit swtor to go play gw2. Hate my life right now

I've little to say about your numbers in general but thought I'd comment on the RP server bit. In games that I've played since WoW I've found RP servers generally to be a pretty solid place community-wise with a typically steady and solid population. To broadly and crudely generalize, RPers tend to focus on very different things than the rest of the MMO crowd and appear significantly less fickle when it comes to game/server hopping.

Regarding the numbers, my server's not on that list but I never have any problems finding PvE or PvP activities.

It usually reflects a server filled with adults and folks of a more mature nature. I have several NON-RP friends in California who only play games on RP servers because the crowd is a little older. They don't degrade you based on gear or some other silly crap like that.

Well... the folks that live on the 64 servers that have a phi < 1.2 might want to consider packing their bags for the server transfers coming this summer...

Since my server dropped from Heavy to Standard I've noticed it feeling very empty, can't imagine how bad a Light server feels.

Frankly even when the server was running at V Heavy and Full most of the time, it still never really felt that crowded.

A problem statement to interject into this discussion:

We had over 100 people in denova last Tuesday night; and it was AWFUL. Frames per second performance of our entire raid was in the toilet. I went from 120 frames a second down to about 15-20 on every fight, and the rest of my raid reported similar issues.

I'm beginning to think the reason behind 8/16 player raids instead of 10/25 was that the technology they're using couldn't support smooth play at the higher numbers of players.

I can't imagine being on a server with 400 or 500 people in denova at once.

I've little to say about your numbers in general but thought I'd comment on the RP server bit. In games that I've played since WoW I've found RP servers generally to be a pretty solid place community-wise with a typically steady and solid population. To broadly and crudely generalize, RPers tend to focus on very different things than the rest of the MMO crowd and appear significantly less fickle when it comes to game/server hopping.

Regarding the numbers, my server's not on that list but I never have any problems finding PvE or PvP activities.

I agree, i rolled on Lord Adraas RP-PVE server because i felt this game was about the RP / Lore. most of the community is generally laid back and more interested in what the game is about lore wise and less interested in what most of the people that roll on straight PVE servers want. we pvp and pve but its not the end of all things for the RP'er. most of the community is close and we police our own server so its a great place for for people whom just want to relax and enjoy the game.

The most unpopulated Servers in the US based on torstatus.com

1. Keetael
  2. Krayiss Obelisk
  3. Khoonda Militia
  4. Infinity Gate
  5. The Courageous
  6. Firkrann Crystal
  7. Cho Mai
  8. Anturi Reach
  9. Whitebeam Run
  10. Veela
  11. Hedarr Soongh
  12. Kinrath Spider
  13. Ki-Ta Kren
  14. Hanharr
  15. Firaxan Shark
  16. Zez-Kai Ell
  17. Master Dorak
  18. Nathema
  19. Rwookrrorro
  20. Sedyn Kyne
  21. The Deadweight
  22. Thendys Noori
  23. Gardens of Talla
  24. Fort Garnik
  25. Telos Restoration Project
  26. Axial Park
  27. Colonel Tobin
  28. Crevasse City
  29. The Crucible Pits
  30. Eidolon Security
  31. The Defenestrator
  32. Davik's Estate
  33. Bondar Crystal
  34. Terentatek
  35. Naddist Rebels
  36. The Constant
  37. Infinite Empire
  38. Mandalore the Indomitable
  39. Death Wind Corridor
  40. The Twin Spears
  41. Rakata Mind Prison
  42. Saber of Exar Kun
  43. Port Nowhere
  44. The Maw
  45. Shadowtown
  46. Black Vulkars
  47. Vulkar Highway
  48. Prophecy of the Five
  49. The Corsair
  50. The Bastion
  51. Belgoth's Beacon
  52. Anchorhead
  53. Wound in the Force
  54. ICE Breaker
  55. Daragon Trail
  56. Kathol Rift
  57. Kath Hound
  58. Sword of Ajunta Pall
  59. Iron Citadel
  60. Warriors of the Shadow
  61. Nadd's Sarcophagus
  62. Darth Malak
  63. Thana Vesh
  64. Master Gnost-Dural

The most underpopulated servers in Europe

1. Niman
  2. Tassaa Bareesh
  3. Ahto City
  4. Scepter of Ragnos
  5. The Kumumgah
  6. The Shadow Runner
  7. Tott Doneeta
  8. Ula Vii
  9. Senator Contispex
  10. Kai-kan
  11. The Exile's Crystal
  12. Chuundar
  13. Uthar Wynn
  14. Trayus Academy
  15. Hex Droid
  16. The Ravager
  17. Eye of Ashlanae
  18. Dxun Battle Circle
  19. The Arkanian Legacy
  20. Sith'ari
  21. Basilisk Droid
  22. Ludo Kressh
  23. Kellian Jarro
  24. Sluis Shipyards
  25. Bloodworthy
  26. Starstorm One
  27. Flames of the Crucible
  28. Rogue Moon
  29. Hydian Way

Shadow Hand represent =).

Unfortunately I don't see server merges happening. Its too complicated to merge a server when you consider the names of characters (not just first names but legacy names) and guilds.

Character Transfers are another thing. And I think Bioware needs to implement free character transfers and consider shutting down some of the servers.

The problem isn't that there isn't enough people, the problem is the people are too spread out.