1.2.3 Cover Not Fixed

Hello there,

We appreciate your report of this issue; we have escalated it to an appropriate department for investigation and appreciate your patience. Amber Green has also posted about this issue as an update in the Known Issues Thread. Thank You!

Hello everyone! We appreciate you joining us to play Star Wars™: The Old Republic™, and we hope you enjoy the game. As MMORPGs are large and complex projects, inevitably we do discover issues that may affect gameplay. We're working constantly to fix anything that will affect the player experience, but for now this is our current list of high priority in-game known issues.

UPDATED: May 11th, 2012

Classes and Combat

• The “Take Cover” ability does not work properly when bound to the mouse wheel.

umm, so.

anyone here bound their cover to mousewheel?

edit: i just tried binding it to the mousewheel, and true enough it fails most of the time. i think it's more of a repeat action or actually just any other action in quick succession that breaks it.

Edited by Wesgile

Hello there,

We appreciate your report of this issue; we have escalated it to an appropriate department for investigation and appreciate your patience. Amber Green has also posted about this issue as an update in the Known Issues Thread. Thank You!

Wrong. Cover is bugged even if not bound to mouse wheel SO REVERT THE COVER TO SUCH THAT WE WILL STAY IN COVER NO MATTER HOW MANY SECONDS WE HOLD THE MOVEMENT BUTTON WHILE TAKING COVER.....:mad:

seriously it takes a fraction of a second to let go of w and hit cover, ur compling about not being able to pop a portable cover while moving, guess what ur moving.

what happens when ur in cover and u move, thats right u come out of it.

as far as im concerned its working as intended, lvl 47 slinger

seriously it takes a fraction of a second to let go of w and hit cover, ur compling about not being able to pop a portable cover while moving, guess what ur moving.

:eek: i dont think you been playing a slinger mate lvl 47 slinger you sure mate ,maybe its a scoundrel you been playing :p

Edited by TruLanka

Don't be an apologist. It used to work well, now it does not. There's no reason it shouldn't be fixed.

Don't be an apologist. It used to work well, now it does not. There's no reason it shouldn't be fixed.

Lol. he's no apologist, more like a troll trying to stir up trouble. Condesending tones about others never help anyone, but they make the trolls feel good I'm sure.

Lots of people are experiencing this huge bug, with and without movement.

Just glad there are plenty of trolls about to add more poor emotions to an already frustrating dysfunction.

:eek: i dont think you been playing a slinger mate lvl 47 slinger you sure mate ,maybe its a scoundrel you been playing :p

sith'ari, republic name teerlo i also have a lvl 31 scoundrel named perral, not encountered ne cover issues on either so yeah mate im sure mate.

after inserting a delay on the gaming pad scroll wheel, basically programed it so that the scroll wheel can only register once every 1.5 seconds, cover seams to be working as intended. you can still fire a shot as soon as you enter cover. you just have to wait for your character to land on the point before spamming the ability

after inserting a delay on the gaming pad scroll wheel, basically programed it so that the scroll wheel can only register once every 1.5 seconds, cover seams to be working as intended. you can still fire a shot as soon as you enter cover. you just have to wait for your character to land on the point before spamming the ability

the problem is that people used to do instant explosive charge or detonate when pressing the cover button, now you just can't do that anymore. the problem would be more apparent to pvp it seems, as it's simply a loss of time, often crucial ones.

the problem is that people used to do instant explosive charge or detonate when pressing the cover button, now you just can't do that anymore. the problem would be more apparent to pvp it seems, as it's simply a loss of time, often crucial ones.

you still get the Free GCD but it now requires more finesse, you cant mash the key as you are rolling you have to hit it in the small window of when you get the actual and the cover animation finishes. tho i can see from the devs perspective how firing off two abilities with no cool down in between them would be something they would get rid of.

Oh yea which one do you prefer? roll/drop portable cover successfully while holding the movement key indefinitely, or retain this stupid bug and end up standing up watching as you get owned? choose.

Edited by OneLancer

sith'ari, republic name teerlo i also have a lvl 31 scoundrel named perral, not encountered ne cover issues on either so yeah mate im sure mate.

Nice one matey , small tip scoundrels do not need Cover ability to play ;)

Oh yea which one do you prefer? roll/drop portable cover successfully while holding the movement key indefinitely, or retain this stupid bug and end up standing up watching as you get owned? choose.

there is no bug as far as im concerned. ive never just stood there and got owned.

Nice one matey , small tip scoundrels do not need Cover ability to play ;)

never said they needed but they have to ability to enter it and some times when im healing i will use it, dont use it for solo play tho. ne other 'usefull' tips u have please share.

If you are unaware of how cover has changed into this modern buggy form, let me shed some light

Most notably, Pre 1.2, I was able to gain cover buffs (cover screen, snap shot or w/e) by jumping and taking cover in mid air. When I landed, I would still be in cover, despite the cover being behind me, at the point of origin.

Now, (Post 1.2, including 1.2.2, 1.2.3, and what have you) the buffs are not applied, and you are immediately thrown out of cover.

While this isnt the intended use of cover, it explains the issues tied with moving and taking cover. Any residual movement will throw you out of cover. Anyone who makes a habit of refreshing ballistic dampeners knows this. You may be trying to refresh the buff, yet won't be getting anything at all from wasting your cover, and given a 6s internal CD. One of the biggest issues is cover pulse, which requires precise movement and timing. It has become the single most difficult knock back to use in the game (as if it wasn't problematic before).

If you haven't experience any of these issues, you aren't a mobile player.

If you are unaware of how cover has changed into this modern buggy form, let me shed some light

Most notably, Pre 1.2, I was able to gain cover buffs (cover screen, snap shot or w/e) by jumping and taking cover in mid air. When I landed, I would still be in cover, despite the cover being behind me, at the point of origin.

Now, (Post 1.2, including 1.2.2, 1.2.3, and what have you) the buffs are not applied, and you are immediately thrown out of cover.

While this isnt the intended use of cover, it explains the issues tied with moving and taking cover. Any residual movement will throw you out of cover. Anyone who makes a habit of refreshing ballistic dampeners knows this. You may be trying to refresh the buff, yet won't be getting anything at all from wasting your cover, and given a 6s internal CD. One of the biggest issues is cover pulse, which requires precise movement and timing. It has become the single most difficult knock back to use in the game (as if it wasn't problematic before).

If you haven't experience any of these issues, you aren't a mobile player.

just read what you wrote, entering cover mid air and u think this version is bugged, the only time i dont enter cover is if ive just perfomed and action and the gcd is up or if im hit with some form of cc, i will agree that pulse takes far to long to active but ive never encountered the problem of not recieving any of my buffs.

your all saying cover is bugged becuase u cant exploit it while moving ne more guess what that sounds fixed to me

What I mainly have a problem with is the roll into cover keybind on my hotbar, more so than my roll into cover keybind from the movement keybind section. Let me elaborate. I currently have "v" bound as roll into cover, while "f" is take cover in place. This allows me to use roll into cover when I see a good opportunity to use hard cover, or close the gap on an enemy. This key only seams to bug out when an enemy moves while I hit it sometimes I end up just dropping into cover instead of going where I intended. which is not really a big deal, at least I am still in cover, just not exactly where I wanted to be.

I also have roll into cover on my main hotbar in the same location as pulse on my cover hotbar. I used to be able to hit the hotkey twice to get pulse to go off (when I am running to a person I want to knock back, mainly huttball). The way roll into cover used to work is that if there is no place for you to roll based on your current target you dropped down in place, however 9 times out of ten this key will not drop me into cover at all and I end up missing the opportunity to use my pulse. Now I realize I can adjust my gameplay accordingly knowing this, I just don't see why bioware would make that change to roll into.

Just to clarify, all of these findings are from pvp

I also want to comment on the changes of no longer being able to go into cover from, mid jump and that you have to wait until you arrive at your destination when rolling to cover before you start casting. I don't know i this is cover being "broken" or if bioware made these changes knowingly. Here is my take on it: guardians/sentinels and their mirror classes can jump into the air to get them in a better position to leap to their target, so why can't we jump to better position ourselves to where we want to take cover? Also, I get that bioware may not want us to be able to start attacking while rolling into cover, but hitting a hotkey should not cause you to stop mid roll, it should just do nothing. I am sure if hitting an ability mid leap caused the leapers to stop mid leap people would have a major issue with that.

What I mainly have a problem with is the roll into cover keybind on my hotbar, more so than my roll into cover keybind from the movement keybind section. Let me elaborate. I currently have "v" bound as roll into cover, while "f" is take cover in place. This allows me to use roll into cover when I see a good opportunity to use hard cover, or close the gap on an enemy. This key only seams to bug out when an enemy moves while I hit it sometimes I end up just dropping into cover instead of going where I intended. which is not really a big deal, at least I am still in cover, just not exactly where I wanted to be.

I also have roll into cover on my main hotbar in the same location as pulse on my cover hotbar. I used to be able to hit the hotkey twice to get pulse to go off (when I am running to a person I want to knock back, mainly huttball). The way roll into cover used to work is that if there is no place for you to roll based on your current target you dropped down in place, however 9 times out of ten this key will not drop me into cover at all and I end up missing the opportunity to use my pulse. Now I realize I can adjust my gameplay accordingly knowing this, I just don't see why bioware would make that change to roll into.

Just to clarify, all of these findings are from pvp

I also want to comment on the changes of no longer being able to go into cover from, mid jump and that you have to wait until you arrive at your destination when rolling to cover before you start casting. I don't know i this is cover being "broken" or if bioware made these changes knowingly. Here is my take on it: guardians/sentinels and their mirror classes can jump into the air to get them in a better position to leap to their target, so why can't we jump to better position ourselves to where we want to take cover? Also, I get that bioware may not want us to be able to start attacking while rolling into cover, but hitting a hotkey should not cause you to stop mid roll, it should just do nothing. I am sure if hitting an ability mid leap caused the leapers to stop mid leap people would have a major issue with that.

i could not have explained it better than this , this annoys a lot while in WZ when you try to go into cover and just rolls in same place and get my self killed :(

And it's still not fixed. I know most of us are used to it by now, stop moving for half-sec to get to cover and in PvE it's not that bad , just annoying ... but it really **** things up at PvP. Also , I'm getting tired of reporting the same bug every single day :p

I tested this both on my Sniper and my Gunslinger

Seems to be intermittent, i tested it using the W key and holding both mouse buttons and also tried to bind cover to middle mouse and the \ key (no difference in result)

These results are my entering cover while holding and not letting go of the forward movement.

Gunslinger using take cover in place: Randomly leaves you in cover, 1 in 7-8 times approx.

Gunslinger using take cover: Exact same results as above

Sniper using take cover in place:Very rarely bugs, was about 1 in 12 times it would bug out

Sniper using take cover:Exact Same results as above

I tested this on the characters respective ships (maybe terrain has something to do with it?)

Both Characters are Human.

I can say for sure IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MIDDLE MOUSE BIND, i lold so hard when i read that. Obviously bioware have very very bad testers. You just have to use cover for 5 mins to notice it is broken.

Edited by Scotland