BW: Here's how you easily fix PTS population and solve further bug issues

Dawginole

Here's a great idea, if I do say so myself:

1) Add a class slot DEDICATED TO PTS for all players. They don't have to use it, they can't create a 9th class for another server with it, but neither would they have to give up one of their 8 class slots up for PTS. It can solely be used for the PTS server.

2) Make the option exist so that one could start a new character for that PTS only slot, or simply click "copy existing class to PTS slot." This would allow a mirrored version of an already created character to be set up on the PTS server - same level, same currently equipped gear, nothing else included.

3) Upload the new patch to PTS on Friday night for weekend testing, and if there are no problems you can throw up the new patch on main servers Tuesday AM.

And just like that you create a vibrant PTS ecosystems at all class levels for PTS testing and solve your problems with bugs hitting the main servers.

I have a masters in administration and have worked at the largest think tank in the world. I also come cheap. So if you need someone to solve anymore of your other easily fixable problems just shoot me a PM. :D

Edited by Dawginole

We really don't need a ninth character slot. We should just be able to copy any character over to the PTS.

Right, but then that copied character takes up one of your 8 current slots that you may want to use on your server. I have 8 classes. I don't want to delete any of those to create a class on PTS.

Right, but then that copied character takes up one of your 8 current slots that you may want to use on your server. I have 8 classes. I don't want to delete any of those to create a class on PTS.

I could be wrong here but im pretty sure the PTS is completely separate from the live servers. When you login to the PTS you have 8 OPEN character slots. Theres really no reason for a 9th slot :confused:

I agree with the testing patches on there though and as stated we really need to be able to copy our characters over to the PTS as well.

PTS is its own server therefor has 8 char slots, also each live server has 8 char slots, not sure if you were aware just because of the way your statements are worded.

PTS is its own server therefor has 8 char slots, also each live server has 8 char slots, not sure if you were aware just because of the way your statements are worded.

Seems I did not. So you can log into as many servers as you want and have 8 slots on each server? O.o Or you can just have 8 slots for one server and 8 slots for PTS?

In either case, I see your point about PTS then. No need for an extra slot, just a copy/paste option. Bingo bango!

Step 1: Formulate plan to make PTS more effective.

Step 2: Post plan on forum to draw attention to it.

Step 3: Highlight the text in blaring yellow text to make it look important.

Step 4: Discuss plan with others.

Step 5: Figure out how the PTS actually works.

Step 6: Revise original plan by suggesting something that Bioware announced they were working on months ago.

Sorry, OP, but that was a research failure on your part. The sentiment was nice, but...

Edited by Malastare

And to clarify, since I seem to be in the minority:

I have 3 characters on the PTS.

I have 6 characters on Sanctum of the Exalted

I have 3 characters on Jung Ma

I have 5 characters on Rubat Crystal

The 8 character limit is per server. Obviously, the limit on the Public Test Server wouldn't affect the limit on other servers.

Furthermore, the PTS isn't just on a different server, it's on a different game environment. You have to select the alternate environment when you log in. It requires you to re-download most (all?) of the game files to an alternate directory. In order to switch from a PTS character to a normal character, you don't just switch servers, you have to quit the game, then log back into the standard server environment and load up the normal character.

Step 1: Formulate plan to make PTS more effective.

Step 2: Post plan on forum to draw attention to it.

Step 3: Highlight the text in blaring yellow text to make it look important.

Step 4: Discuss plan with others.

Step 5: Figure out how the PTS actually works.

Step 6: Revise original plan by suggesting something that Bioware announced they were working on months ago.

Sorry, OP, but that was a research failure on your part. The sentiment was nice, but...

A+++ post. Will read again! Thanks for your constructive feedback!

Seems I did not. So you can log into as many servers as you want and have 8 slots on each server? O.o Or you can just have 8 slots for one server and 8 slots for PTS?

In either case, I see your point about PTS then. No need for an extra slot, just a copy/paste option. Bingo bango!

Every server has its own 8 slots, when you change servers, you don't get your chars in the move unless they allow server transfers.

And to clarify, since I seem to be in the minority:

I have 3 characters on the PTS.

I have 6 characters on Sanctum of the Exalted

I have 3 characters on Jung Ma

I have 5 characters on Rubat Crystal

The 8 character limit is per server. Obviously, the limit on the Public Test Server wouldn't affect the limit on other servers.

Furthermore, the PTS isn't just on a different server, it's on a different game environment. You have to select the alternate environment when you log in. It requires you to re-download most (all?) of the game files to an alternate directory. In order to switch from a PTS character to a normal character, you don't just switch servers, you have to quit the game, then log back into the standard server environment and load up the normal character.

Yeah - kinda PIA when I feel like switching back and forth. I don't want to have to fire up the security key every time in that scenario.

The two best things they can do for PTS:

1) Character Copy

2) Client switch without having to quit and log in over again.

OK, maybe one more:

3) offer some unique bonus incentives to people who play on the PTS. Time and again I see people who ignore it because it's "not a real server". It was the first server I started playing on because I wanted to see the patches ahead of time, but that is obviously not enough to get people playing it, unless you have a major content patch rolling out (like 1.2).

BJ

Dawginole, how many software development jobs have you had at large corporations? Beacuse I'm guessing it's zero. You clearly have no idea how this stuff works.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. I have a masters in administration and have been a project lead many times over in my career field. Software developers are not given jobs to determine project direction, they develop based on the project direction they are given. That doesn't mean they can't provide feedback and recommendation. But someone else has to see the broad strokes and figure out how to solve problem.

Have you given no feedback on these forums based on problems you see inherent in the game? I doubt that. And I'm guessing you didn't even need a graduate degree in administration to see them or even develop solutions to those problems on your own. But go ahead and tell us "how this stuff works".

Some of us see an issue with the PTS. Even if updates were posted there first, if there is not a healthy ecosystem of all classes and class levels, many problems will still not be discovered. The solution to that is allowing a copy of existing players to be moved to the PTS rather than forcing players to start new classes at lvl1 to work their way up with no incentive to do so other than seeing content a bit early and earning a unique title.

Certainly I don't know software development. Haven't claimed to. If what you are referring to in your comments is a technical limitation that I am not aware of, then that is a wholly different issue than attempting to develop a solution to the issue. But do indulge us, if your time permits.