Any orange gear usable at endgame with augments?

Bakinpacman

Hi all just reading the patch notes and want to confirm if possible that any orange gear with the mods removed can be reverse engineered so that i may use it endgame with an augment slot.

Patch notes read,

Items and Economy

General

Custom (orange) moddable items that have no modifications installed can now be reverse engineered.

Hi all just reading the patch notes and want to confirm if possible that any orange gear with the mods removed can be reverse engineered so that i may use it endgame with an augment slot.

Patch notes read,

Items and Economy

General

Custom (orange) moddable items that have no modifications installed can now be reverse engineered.

Reverse Engineered does not mean you can learn a schematic from it. It means you can break the item down into some components.

Edited by Balrizangor

basically its for crafters trying to craft orange gear with augment slots. since you have to crit to get the augment slot, you end up with a lot of orange crafted gear without the slots which doesn't really sell for anything. this allows you to get some valuable mats back instead of just having to vendor it for credits.

This is currently not working as stated in the patch notes.

If I craft some orange junk with no mods in it, and I try to RE it, it says "This item cannot be reverse engineered". Supposedly only currently working on War Hero stuff and campaign stuff.

I was hoping I could buy some Social gear and learn a schematic from it, but I cant even get mats back from my own orange creations, so am out of luck.

didn't the devs say before 1.2 even came out that crafters would be able to RE any orange item, learn its schematic, and then make augmented versions of it? when 1.2 dropped and this features wasn't there, i was bummed. then i saw 1.2.3 notes and thought "hey, they fixed it!", but now i learn it's just to return mats. so i'm bummed again. why am i a crafter again?

didn't the devs say before 1.2 even came out that crafters would be able to RE any orange item, learn its schematic, and then make augmented versions of it? when 1.2 dropped and this features wasn't there, i was bummed. then i saw 1.2.3 notes and thought "hey, they fixed it!", but now i learn it's just to return mats. so i'm bummed again. why am i a crafter again?

It only ended up applying to T2 gear unfortunately. The rest of the schematics are learned through underworld trading (and investigation I think?). Unfortunate, but it is what it is.

Patch notes read,

Items and Economy

General

This seems more like it's a way for those of us spamming orange gear crafting for augments can now get some mats back on all of the items that aren't augmented. It doesn't change that orange gear with an augment slot is viable endgame gear (in fact it can be BIS endgame gear).

Non augmented orange gear is next to worthless, and has been since 1.2. This doesn't change that, it just means rather than getting consolation credits from a vendor you can now get some materials back.

Non augmented orange gear is next to worthless, and has been since 1.2. This doesn't change that, it just means rather than getting consolation credits from a vendor you can now get some materials back.

the irony is that had they implemented set bonuses tied to the armorings on the tionese/columi/rakata gear and not just the black hole gear, even unaugmented orange gear would sell for looks. as it is, orange gear is great for leveling, terrible once you hit 50 (even augmented), then suddenly great again once you've finished everything there is to do in the current state of PvE (gotten all your black hole gear already). like the legacy perks giving you more options to level a race you just finished leveling already, or the unassembled inheritance tokens that give you a level 14 bind on legacy piece of gear for one class and one class only (as if you'll level a third character of the same class as your second), it's yet another decision that seems backwards and not very well considered.

didn't the devs say before 1.2 even came out that crafters would be able to RE any orange item, learn its schematic, and then make augmented versions of it?

Nope. They said:

1. Pretty much everything would be REable. (Note: REable does not, and never has, meant that you can neccessarily learn a schematic from it)

2. Almost all modifiable gear would be REable to learn the schematics (a.k.a. researchable).

3. Orange gear would NOT be REable to learn the schematics (a.k.a. researchable). Instead, you would get the schematics for those looks via mission skills.

They never *ever* specifically stated orange gear would be REable to learn the schematics (a.k.a. researchable). While I'll agree it would have been reasonable assumption to lump orange gear in the category of "modifiable" gear. The fact that they later said that orange gear wouldn't be, pretty much clarifies that assumption as erroneous.

We are still missing the ability to get the schematics for those orange items via mission skills, however they have since said these would be coming in 1.3, and since I don't remember the exact quote about orange items not being researchable, and instead getting schematics from mission skills, I have to assume it's possible they didn't actually say *when* that was occuring, and we merely all assumed 1.2 since that's when all the rest of what was being talked about was coming.

Nope. They said:

1. Pretty much everything would be REable. (Note: REable does not, and never has, meant that you can neccessarily learn a schematic from it)

2. Almost all modifiable gear would be REable to learn the schematics (a.k.a. researchable).

3. Orange gear would NOT be REable to learn the schematics (a.k.a. researchable). Instead, you would get the schematics for those looks via mission skills.

They never *ever* specifically stated orange gear would be REable to learn the schematics (a.k.a. researchable). While I'll agree it would have been reasonable assumption to lump orange gear in the category of "modifiable" gear. The fact that they later said that orange gear wouldn't be, pretty much clarifies that assumption as erroneous.

We are still missing the ability to get the schematics for those orange items via mission skills, however they have since said these would be coming in 1.3, and since I don't remember the exact quote about orange items not being researchable, and instead getting schematics from mission skills, I have to assume it's possible they didn't actually say *when* that was occuring, and we merely all assumed 1.2 since that's when all the rest of what was being talked about was coming.

fair enough, but on point 2, if "almost all" actually means "almost none", then they delivered what they promised i guess.

the irony is that had they implemented set bonuses tied to the armorings on the tionese/columi/rakata gear and not just the black hole gear, even unaugmented orange gear would sell for looks.

I'm not entirely convinced on that. The augmented versions will still be superior, and it's fairly trivial to make augmented versions of low level stuff. I'm practically churning it out.

fair enough, but on point 2, if "almost all" actually means "almost none", then they delivered what they promised i guess.

Yep. I suspect in internal bioware terminology, "Custom" and "Modifiable" were two different categories of items. (i.e. custom was stuff where EVERYTHING could be customized, Modifiable was the stuff that only parts of it could be modified. (i.e. raid drops with integrated armoring/hilts/barrels) But even if you limit it to just THAT stuff, there's a LOT of that stuff that isn't researchable.