Allowing characters in PvE servers to transfer to PvP serves - Bioware PLEASE READ

There isn't much OPvP in SWTOR due to how it's designed, there isn't absolutely none however.

You're still at a significant advantage being able to level up and gear up on a PvE server and then transfer over - which is why almost no MMORPGs allow it (WoW may be the exception these days, but then WoW would sell it's Granny for a $ these days).

It's effectively "cheating", which is how most people that actually levelled on a PvP server would likely see it.

That doesn't make any sense. You just contradicted yourself.

You say that there isn't much OPvP in SWTOR and how there "isn't absolutely none" which stats that there really isn't a real difference between PvE/PvP servers in SWTOR. Yet you turn around and say that it is effectively cheating by transferring from a PvE server to a PvP server in SWTOR.

Why would it be cheating if there really wasn't a difference to begin with?

SWTOR does not have pvp servers. They have some marked as pvp but the distinction is meaningless.

So, it is Bioware's fault that no one is doing PvP on PvP servers. And before you give me that crap about isolating the two sides with artificial barriers and what not, ganking lowbies is not PvP.

If this game had real open world pvp I might be inclined to think that people from PvE servers shouldn't transfer to PvP servers, but while I was leveling I ran into less than 10 fights so, in reality, at this point, there's litter difference in the PvE and PvP open world.

That doesn't make any sense. You just contradicted yourself.

You say that there isn't much OPvP in SWTOR and how there "isn't absolutely none" which stats that there really isn't a real difference between PvE/PvP servers in SWTOR. Yet you turn around and say that it is effectively cheating by transferring from a PvE server to a PvP server in SWTOR.

Why would it be cheating if there really wasn't a difference to begin with?

There isn't much, however you will still likely get occasionally ganked whilst levelling up (and indeed gearing up) on a reasonally populated PvP server (you will never get ganked on a PvE server).

The difference isn't as pronounced as in MMORPGs (due to the way SWTOR is designed), but it's not a non-existant different either.

You (and anyone else doing so) would be at a signficant advantage levelling up (and gearing up) on a PvE server and then moving over, even more so if it were whole guilds doing so.

So yes it would still be "cheating" and as I said would likely still be percived as such (maybe not on exceedingly low pop PvP servers where the added players would outweigh any such concerns).

Basically once you allow people to transfer like that you kind of make levelling up and gearing up on a PvP server pointless, because everyone may as well just do what you want to do....... but the world doesn't revolve around you, and people that have levelled on PvP servers count too. :)

I sure miss the launch month when I was in Tatooine, and playing with the fear of getting ganked. It was nerve-wrecking to constantly stealth to avoid pubs (I solo'ed PVE most of the time) but it sure was fun!

5 months later, I can waltz anywhere on all planets without seeing one damn pub. :(

So why do people say that it is harder to level on a PvP server?

because it makes them feel superior. as someone who leveled on the fatman as imp I can say it was faster than leveling on my original pve server simply because there were people to group with (not once was I involved in world pvp.)

to those who think you're somehow better because you leveled on a pvp server, lawlz.

I don't know that it's harder here, or any other game for that matter.

But I do know that back when I played WoW and they were talking about server transfers, a lot of the people on PvP servers did not want PvE carebares moving over to their server because it was supposed to be easier on PvE servers to level up and gear up.

WoW was a little different because you actually encountered the opposing faction quite a bit. i remember STV and and tarren mill being especially frustrating at times as horde. even then I was glad when they removed the restriction for pve to pvp simply because it allowed people to play where they wanted and kept them playing the game and my pvp server which was hurting started to see some growth again.

Considering that this is my first MMO, I wanted my initial experience to be a smooth one. So because I was a "noob" and in some way still a noob, I did not want to start off by playing on a PvP server and having to be ganked while I am trying to enjoy my story or explore the worlds. Now after getting 1 character to level 43 and another to level 50, both on a PvE server [The Shadowlands] I feel like I have enough experience and whatnot to play on a PvP server. In fact, I would rather play on a PvP server because it just seems more....realistic. Example, I remember when I was on Corellia with my lvl 50 character [Empire]. On the much later parts of the planet, I kept seeing this one level 15 Trooper Vanguard running around on our [Empire] side collecting crafting material. It was open shop for him because #1 He is on a PvE server with his PvP flag off so it wasn't like anyone could have attacked him. #2 The way the planet was set up, on our side, the mobs were Republic aligned so they wouldn't attack him. So yeah, he was just free to run about farming materials while the mobs didn't attack him and we couldn't attack him. For some reason this really irked me and I figure that this type of stuff probably does not go on in a PvP server.....you know.....a level 15 running around a level 50 area.

Also there are some dead points while questing where it sort of gets.....dull just questing and I wouldn't mind the occasional fight from another action. But on PvE servers, 99.9999999% of the time, people would deny my request to duel them.

--------------------------------------------

Now that I see that server transfers are coming, I really want to transfer from a PvE server to a PvP server. HOWEVER, word on the street says that normally in MMOs, the developers do not allow you to transfer from PvE servers to PvP servers or transfer from PvP servers to PvE servers. Meaning that in my current situation, I would only be able to transfer my 2 characters to another PvE server! :(

With that said, I really hope that BIoware considers the ability for us to transfer to PvE to PvP or PvP to PvE servers. Why? I really don't care about losing a character, but I just don't want to lose all of the legacy levels [Level 14] that I have gained since playing way back last December when the game came out. I can play on a PvP server, but I would only be able to do that by starting a new character on a PvP server which means that the character one come in with the same legacy bonuses as the other characters on the PvE server.

So yeah, what do you guys think about this? Perhaps Bioware could just allow a one time only transfer from a PvE server to PvP or a PvP server to a PvE and after that you're locked in and can only transfer to the same server play style that you already selected.

Thanks!

:)

So basically you didn't want to be ganked while leveling so you choose a PvE server but now, that you have high leveled characters, you want them moved to a PvP server so you can gank lower level players while they level?

I doubt they'd allow PvE to PvP transfers. Too easy to gear up on PvE then transfer into PvP. The other direction, PvP to PvE shouldn't be a problem.

They let us Australians go from any server type to any server type we wanted (Ex i wen't from PVE to PVP) And how is gearing up remotely easier to do so on a PVE then a PVP server?

And OP don't give your hopes up for pvp battles, 99% of the time it will be some guy 5 levels above you that attacks you while you are versing 3 strongs and have 40% health.

I don't know that I would call levelling on a PvP server "harder". I would call it "more fustrating/painful".

PvP server players who put in the hard yards to get to 50 in the PvP environment generally oppose the transfer of PvE characters because those other 50s didn't go through that gauntlet.

I doubt they'd allow PvE to PvP transfers. Too easy to gear up on PvE then transfer into PvP. The other direction, PvP to PvE shouldn't be a problem.

It hardly matters in this game and even the WoW developers caved after a while.

It hardly matters in this game and even the WoW developers caved after a while.

If it hardly matters in this game, then everyone who wishes to play on a PVP server can roll toons on one. Playing on a PVP server gives you the option to gank lowbies, whether or not you choose to exercise that option. If you wish to have the option to gank lowbies, then you should have to run that same risk while leveling.

Edited by Ratajack

If it hardly matters in this game, then everyone who wishes to play on a PVP server can roll toons on one. Playing on a PVP server gives you the option to gank lowbies, whether or not you choose to exercise that option. If you wish to have the option to gank lowbies, then you should have to run that same risk while leveling.

I wouldnt mind that much my old character dying with the piece of **** server hes on, but i want my legacy level on a pvp server. I always intended to play on a pvp server anyway but i rolled on a pve server with my friend who left 2 week after obviously. I think i would like this game if i was on a populated pvp server but for now ill keep on not playing this game until they reveal more about the character transfer.

So Bioware pls let us transfer to a PvP Server or at least let us transfer our Legacy to a PvP server

Edited by boobaffet

SWTOR does not have pvp servers. They have some marked as pvp but the distinction is meaningless.

Cynicism noted. However, I've killed and been killed many times by other players on my PvP server yet haven't been killed yet by another player (except BG's) on my PvE server. So it looks like to me there is definately a distinction even if it doesn't meet with your personal approval as to what that distinction is.

Considering that this is my first MMO, I wanted my initial experience to be a smooth one. So because I was a "noob" and in some way still a noob, I did not want to start off by playing on a PvP server and having to be ganked while I am trying to enjoy my story or explore the worlds. Now after getting 1 character to level 43 and another to level 50, both on a PvE server [The Shadowlands] I feel like I have enough experience and whatnot to play on a PvP server. In fact, I would rather play on a PvP server because it just seems more....realistic. Example, I remember when I was on Corellia with my lvl 50 character [Empire]. On the much later parts of the planet, I kept seeing this one level 15 Trooper Vanguard running around on our [Empire] side collecting crafting material. It was open shop for him because #1 He is on a PvE server with his PvP flag off so it wasn't like anyone could have attacked him. #2 The way the planet was set up, on our side, the mobs were Republic aligned so they wouldn't attack him. So yeah, he was just free to run about farming materials while the mobs didn't attack him and we couldn't attack him. For some reason this really irked me and I figure that this type of stuff probably does not go on in a PvP server.....you know.....a level 15 running around a level 50 area.

Also there are some dead points while questing where it sort of gets.....dull just questing and I wouldn't mind the occasional fight from another action. But on PvE servers, 99.9999999% of the time, people would deny my request to duel them.

--------------------------------------------

Now that I see that server transfers are coming, I really want to transfer from a PvE server to a PvP server. HOWEVER, word on the street says that normally in MMOs, the developers do not allow you to transfer from PvE servers to PvP servers or transfer from PvP servers to PvE servers. Meaning that in my current situation, I would only be able to transfer my 2 characters to another PvE server! :(

With that said, I really hope that BIoware considers the ability for us to transfer to PvE to PvP or PvP to PvE servers. Why? I really don't care about losing a character, but I just don't want to lose all of the legacy levels [Level 14] that I have gained since playing way back last December when the game came out. I can play on a PvP server, but I would only be able to do that by starting a new character on a PvP server which means that the character one come in with the same legacy bonuses as the other characters on the PvE server.

So yeah, what do you guys think about this? Perhaps Bioware could just allow a one time only transfer from a PvE server to PvP or a PvP server to a PvE and after that you're locked in and can only transfer to the same server play style that you already selected.

Thanks!

:)

dude, PVP Servers are a waste considering there is no TRUE Open World PVP (OPVP). Too bad though, they could of done some really cool things that could remind us all of our days in southshore...

To level on a PvP server might not feel like one is truly on a PvP server, but still I prefer the folks who levelled on a PvE server to stay on PvE servers. Why? Because I think the decision to play on a PvP server is part of the dedication I want to see in fellow PvP players... that is one of the decision that should matter. Maybe it is just my prejudice, but in my opinion people who levelled on a PvE server never truly learned what PvP means and how to be competitive.

We have lots of fun on pvp servers! You should totally come to one *coughjungmacough* ;)

Also, if you are paying to transfer, why would BW put restrictions? It's your money and a transfer is a transfer regardless of the type of server it is.

Open world PvP isn't so bad either, there is no need to be scared lvling a toon on a pvp server. On my server Imps love to hang around Voss so technically that's the only issue to really lvl if you are repub but other than that it's smooth lvling.

Edited by Wickedjinx

You must be leveling on dead servers then. I'll admit there is not much cross faction encounters on pvp servers at low level, but once you hit tatooine i have always encountered the bad guys in the "shared" part of the map that both factions run missions in. I think it's the greatest thing about pvp servers. It has been this way since day 1. As a shadow usually playing solo I regularly pick off the lone imperial. Occasionaly I get jumped too, but it's pretty hard to kill a shadow/assassin if they don't want to engage. I love the "danger" element of solo missioning and seeing red players about.

Just yesterday I was running a class quest mission on Hoth when I finished off a mob and a jedi shadow 5 levels below me pops out of stealth and attacks. He actually succeeded in killing me ;)

This sort of thing happens now and then but it definitely does not compare to what happened on the last day of the RG plague at the DNA vendor :eek: It was awesome to see dozens of level 50s trying to own the vendor and deny the other faction access. In general I saw a lot more open world PvP during the plague than at other times.

Like OP, I too started on a PvE server because I was a noob who didn't want to get constantly griefed. My fears on this point were totally unfounded. There is the occassional open world PvP and even ganking but it is rare occasion that this interferes which the quest your are doing. Instead it provides a little spice and delays you a bit.