Do you ever wish you went powertech?

jbuschell

I was thinking the other day of what I didn't like about the vanguard and what I enjoyed about the PT

First let's talk about what's cool about the Vanguard. The armor imo is better than the powertechs armor, their armor looks tattered and worn out whereas ares are fresh and nice and overall has a nice style. Our blaster rifles are a lot better looking for sure over their blaster pistols. Our ship is a nice ship, clean sleek and cool, theirs a little dingy.

Now let's talk about what they have that what I personally believe is cooler, their moves are just cooler in general, flamethrowers are awesome, their railshot sounds menacing where ours sound like the last squirt out of a empty ketchup bottle, and personally I find rocket punch very impressive where stockstrike which I'm sure would hurt irl just is lacking compared to rocket punch. Oh and Mako is much more bangable than Dorne.

What do you guys think? I think if they changed HiB to have a cooler sound and equipped us with flamethrowers and changed stockstrike to rifle whip where you violently backhand the mob with the barrel of your gun would make us a lot cooler. My VG is lvl 35 now so I'm not going to reroll and I still think they're awesome there is just some part of me that think PTs are a tad bit cooler

you forgot the single biggest reason: heat>ammo by between 6 to 30 percent depending on the context.

PTs stay in max regen longer, on its face this is a 6 percent advantage to heat/ammo usage. In certain contexts, like a BH using supercharged cells versus a commando, its a massive advantage -- allowing for a full scan/probe combo to be cast while maintaining neutrality.

Merc are not only cooler, they have a significant advantage that -- for whatever reason -- BW just shrugs off as no big deal.

What do you guys think? I think if they changed HiB to have a cooler sound and equipped us with flamethrowers and changed stockstrike to rifle whip where you violently backhand the mob with the barrel of your gun would make us a lot cooler. My VG is lvl 35 now so I'm not going to reroll and I still think they're awesome there is just some part of me that think PTs are a tad bit cooler

Yes, having a class that relies completely on a weapon of precision like a gun smack the enemy with the weakest part of said weapon would be a great idea. That wouldn't cause the barrel to get bent and go out of alignment or anything like that.

I appreciate that you're trying to come up with ideas to make us more interesting, but you have to remember at its core the trooper base class is about being the grunt and doing things by the numbers. No matter how you played out your story, you're still a soldier - trained to do things the way other soldiers do, and protecting yourself and your equipment is part of that. We just don't do outlandish superhuman things like the force-users do (unless you include walking on air XD ).

We just don't do outlandish superhuman things like the force-users do (unless you include walking on air XD ).

Sure, HiB could sound more menacing. And I'd prefer gut to use a wrist-vibro animation like the ones in Republic Commando (which is what the icon looks like!). As for the use of storm to air-walk-pounce, it -does- look silly. An easy fix for that would be a reverse harpoon. Instead of harpooning and dragging someone to you, storm fires a harpoon cable that then pulls you to them.

They probably didn't want to do that to give both moves a unique look, but I have no problem seeing the cable move used both ways. Clearly it's a part of our general-issue equipment, we might as well make use of it.

Biggest problem is of course the heat/ammo discrepancy as noted above.

Now let's talk about what they have that what I personally believe is cooler, their moves are just cooler in general, flamethrowers are awesome, their railshot sounds menacing where ours sound like the last squirt out of a empty ketchup bottle, and personally I find rocket punch very impressive where stockstrike which I'm sure would hurt irl just is lacking compared to rocket punch. Oh and Mako is much more bangable than Dorne.

What do you guys think?

I believe that Pulse Cannon is at least 100x better than Flamethrower. I actually don't ever use it because I don't even feel like it's doing damage. Rail Shot definitely has the upper hand. I love Stock Strike, but Rocket Punch is cool. I'd say they're about level. Neither Mako or Elara are "bangable" for me, so that's a moot point in my case. I prefer Elara's character over Mako anyway. I actually don't really like Mako at all. I use 2V a lot with my Mercenary.

I have to agree on HiB it does just make a silly sound...would love to get something on the line the bounty hunters have.

Also our attacks could overal be a bit more visually impressive as I do believe the bounty hunter has an edge on all animations.

Armor and weapon wise however....the trooper wins by far.

Also like the troopers ship a lot more...and even though people complain about the troopers story a lot...I also have a 50 BH (Merc) I prefer the trooper...especially the final mission is kick *** :D

So yeah...bit more flavor be nice...but...love the vanguard more anywayz!

That's pretty much what I said lol, don't get me wrong I love the vanguard, just a little more pizzaz is all I'm looking for, yeah maybe hitting them with the barrel isn't a great idea, maybe add a jump to stockstrike where you jump high in the air and hit them with the butt of the gun at a downward angle, would make it look impressive

...just a little more pizzaz is all I'm looking for...

The lack of flair on the VG's attacks is actually a great thing for me. Our moves are less noticeable than our flashy mirror counterparts and at least for me I tend to get ignored alot in WZs which, as a dps spec, I love. Guys who look like they are unleashing hell tend to get focused, lol.

I'll agree on the RS vs HiB sound effect. There's is definitely cooler. I do think ours is a humorous sound though and that is a good thing to me. Like I am spitting a death wad into a spittoon. ;)

I would like a better sound effect for HiB. I also like our Ion effects. Frankly, I think Pulse Cannon and Ion Pulse are much cooler than Flamethrower and Flame Burst. But either way, I like that our lightning is the counter to their fire. Changing Stock Strike so you hit them with your barrel would be kinda lame. Riot Strike already has that animation.

However, I would like to see Stock Strike tweaked so that it looks like

(the move in the first 12 seconds). That looks much more like something you'd actually use in combat. Our current SS has two motions: you swing the rifle up into position, reverse direction, and slam it into their face. A Horizontal SS would only have one motion; you can go straight from firing to smashing face in one fluid move. It's a much faster move, and it would have more force behind it because you're using the gun as a lever (which multiplies your force).

High Impact Bolt < Rail Shot

Pulse Cannon > Flame Thrower

Ion Pulse > Flame Burst

I actually like Stockstrike, I just think it's silly that it causes you to lose ammo. Like, I get why Rocket Punch would generate heat, since you use the jetpack to launch the punch, but does Stockstrike cause some of the ammo to fall out of the clip, or what? And how is that even possible when the gun fires energy blasts? It's not like there are "energy bullets" in those clips, it's just a battery.

Maybe if you fired the rifle while performing the Stockstrike. I imagine the shot would generate some kickback which would add power to the strike, explaining why beating someone with the butt of my rifle hurts them more than shooting them.

Edit: As for the original question, no, I don't wish I went Powertech. I started out with a Powertech and a Commando, but 20 levels later I decided I wasn't happy with the ACs, so now I've got a Mercenary and a Vanguard. :p

Edited by Qaoz

HiB sound sucks, I think we can all agree. Lightning instead of fire I can live with.

My idea as far as an alternative to stock strike though may get a little wierd but bare with me. Why can't we just draw back haymaker style and jack em in the jaw? I mean really just rail em in the face Mike Tyson style? Furthermore as part of the manuever the Trooper could eject a shell and snatch it out of the air to hold in his fist while turning his opponents mouth to mush (kinda the same theory as a roll of quarters, you get it)? Explains the ammo cost a little better too. Give us that really stomach churning splattery sound effect that's kinda like someone smacking a piece of bloody raw meat against a wall. I mean I'm talking a really over the top "holy s**t" kinda of chin checker here :).

Well, it's a thought, heh...

Edited by Mayams

Meh I dunno I guess its because I like more exotic looking women irl, my wife is a filipina so that's how I roll lol, but yes like I said vanguard armor and the blaster rifle is far more visually effective, perhaps do you wish you were a powertech was bad wording but maybe I wish they would just of integrated some of the aspects of the PT to the VG, mainly change HiB to RS and give us rocket punch

Meh I dunno I guess its because I like more exotic looking women irl, my wife is a filipina so that's how I roll lol, but yes like I said vanguard armor and the blaster rifle is far more visually effective, perhaps do you wish you were a powertech was bad wording but maybe I wish they would just of integrated some of the aspects of the PT to the VG, mainly change HiB to RS and give us rocket punch

Ha got a filipina wife as well...who also loves this game :D

In any case...you can also make Dorne a bit more exotic looking through customizations!

I have a L50 Powertech (and 2 other 50 Imp toons) and decided to give Republic a try for some different scenery. I'm really liking Vanguard so far. My PT is a tank, so I went Assault with my VG.

Rail Shot > HiB...for reasons already mentioned. The sound and the animation are simply better as a Powertech. Most of the time, I wonder if HiB even went off, because I barely even notice it.

Mortar Volley > Death from Above. Flying up in the air as a BH is cool, but in PvP it's also a huge signal to everyone else to interrupt you. I don't think anyone has ever interrupted my Mortar Volley, and it seems like the radius is much larger as well, since the recent DFA radius nerf.

Mako > Dorne. It seems silly, but I think Mako is a better healer.

Trooper armor is far better than just about anything offered to Bounty Hunters. The L40 PvP armor is just sick looking, as is the new camo Legacy set (but it costs about 1.2 million). Both storylines are equally cool, but I'd probably give a nudge to the Trooper's, just because it has more of a fit with the overall setting of SWTOR.

...especially the final mission is kick ***

The final mission on Corellia was awesome, and moreover it was the first time I really felt like I was part of the republic military and not just some cliche lone wolf sort. Too bad that was the only time I really got that vibe as the trooper. There was the occasional interaction with other military units in the story, but most of the time it was "We can't do this, do it for us."

The final mission on Corellia was awesome, and moreover it was the first time I really felt like I was part of the republic military and not just some cliche lone wolf sort. Too bad that was the only time I really got that vibe as the trooper. There was the occasional interaction with other military units in the story, but most of the time it was "We can't do this, do it for us."

True it would be nice if we had more missions like that...you're the commander of Havoc Squad though so we're supposed to do what we do the rest of the story.

There are really only a handful of scenarios where as the illustrious Havoc Squad I felt justified in being called in to resolve the situation. Most of the game we're just taking orders from / doing favors for random NPCs. Yes, special forces are expected to operate outside the regular military formations, I just felt that it was too infrequent that the game reminded me that I was part of that larger organization.

Except all that running to and from the senate building. That made me consider defecting :p

There are really only a handful of scenarios where as the illustrious Havoc Squad I felt justified in being called in to resolve the situation. Most of the game we're just taking orders from / doing favors for random NPCs. Yes, special forces are expected to operate outside the regular military formations, I just felt that it was too infrequent that the game reminded me that I was part of that larger organization.

Except all that running to and from the senate building. That made me consider defecting :p

Remade my trooper into a Vanguard recently (was a Commando before) and found at certain occasions in the story you got a porting item planting you infront of the senate building.

Doesnt happen each time you're send there but I did get it a few times...was a nice change :D

Edited by Archaell

you forgot the single biggest reason: heat>ammo by between 6 to 30 percent depending on the context.

PTs stay in max regen longer, on its face this is a 6 percent advantage to heat/ammo usage. In certain contexts, like a BH using supercharged cells versus a commando, its a massive advantage -- allowing for a full scan/probe combo to be cast while maintaining neutrality.

Merc are not only cooler, they have a significant advantage that -- for whatever reason -- BW just shrugs off as no big deal.

Can anyone confirm this as true?

Can anyone confirm this as true?

I can confirm it to be false...its just not true.

I have played both a Mercenary and Commando at 50 (before switching to this vanguard I have now) and the resource is exactly!! the same