Im seeing more and more of these articles

SvnStrSlm

No need to read any further than that, and Vanguard was a terrible game.

Yeah that speficific line made me raise the good old "what the... eyebrows".

Seems like some bandwagon reporter that does not even like the genre decided to ride the wave of negativity.

Again, don't let your EXPECTATIONS get ahead of reality. Nothing mentioned suggests ANY of that.

What the above (in yellow) demonstrates is how gamers alwys (ALWAYS) assume too much. Then, when the game does not meet THEIR expectations, they are the ones on the forums complaining that the developer "lied" or didn't deliver. Just watch. It will happen because it always does.

Hell I don't care how it turns out, I'll play it regardless just to check it out. My hope is not the same as my expectation, though I understand your point. My main point was that as much as people like to say that all of these games are exactly the same old crap, they really do evolve in each generation - people just refuse to recognize the change in favor of pointing out what hasn't changed or claim that said changes aren't for the better.

I am a true fan of the genre and accept each game for what it is.

MMOs are totally out the door, that is why they are played far more now than ever in history, there are multiple launching every month and they are one of the most profitable types of gaming ever established in history. Yea they are totally going bye bye, that is probably why MMOs are gaining more people every year than they ever had before.

"To be clear, I've always hated MMO games."

That right there made me doubt all credibility. But then again, Kotaku and "credibility" don't go hand in hand. Maybe the people that play MMO games generally like the tropes found within? People still play JRPGs, and those tropes have stayed the same for 20 years. I've hated shooters for some time now, but I'm not going to write an article about how they need to change. Why? I'm an adult and have come to the realization that people do actually enjoy these types of games. It's not my cup of tea, but to some people, it is.

This article is about as poignant as a Republican politician going "Don't get me wrong, I hate Democrats, but here's how they can fix their party. They need to give up and disband."

The first statement throws all credibility out the window, but what else do we expect from Kotaku?

(I'm just upset that Kotaku is based in my home state...ugh.)

There is a lot of that article I agree with and I like MMOs. I think that many of the game mechanics of WoW and SWTOR are average at best and the fractured community caused by segregated servers doesn't help community building. I think that more fluid skill based MMOs will gradually replace number crunching MMOs in the same way that graphical RPG games replaced text adventures.

"Republic, the most expensive MMO of all time, hit shelves in late 2011, it was structured...almost exactly the same as World of Warcraft."

Lol what a dumb comment.

Dumb is correct., it has a upgradeable skills and armor and you fight things so its a clone.

So Skyrim and Dues Ex are clones of WoW too?

Thats My point each game has its own worlds, art style,game play and atmosphere that some enjoy more than others but they effect everyone differently they may be in the same genre with similar game play .

I dont like Wow but I sure like Fall Out 3, Dues EX and Alpha protocol they are different even though they are in the same genre.

My favorite line was: "the play experience of MMOs is on par with roleplaying back in ‘87"

So... an RPG is like an RPG? How terrible.

Actually, that would make it better than most MMORPGs, which sorely lack the RPG component - just having stats and gear doesn't make it "an RPG".

The MMORPG genre has evolved into it's own set of features and components, up to the point that it doesn't resemble a modern RPG nor an old school one. WoW is barely an MMORPG, it has zero story appeal or roleplaying aspects, it's just carrot-on-a-stick all the time.

In fact, other failings aside, SWTOR should be commended for putting role and story back into MMORPGs. All the people who complain about that and voice overs don't want to play an RPG, they want to play an E-peen simulator.

A typical article written by a person who:

A) Is so anti-social that the prospect of doing something with other players makes them cry.

B) Is terrible at games where you can't pause the game or where you have to actually know what you're doing to be any good at.

It's sad that people need to bring these crappy articles up every week. No actual gamer cares about them at all. They are aimed to create traffic and nothing more. The writers aren't responsible for their content to anyone and no one holds them accountable no matter how much BS they spew. It's the worst kind of journalism there is. What's even more sad though, is that people cite these opinion blogs as facts.

It had potential to be a great game, there is a difference. It came no where near its potential and was a failure on par with Horizons (if anyone even remembers that one).

The chances of ever seeing a skill based and/or sandbox mainstream mmo again are extremely slim. Though TES Online looks like it might shape up to be DAoC 2, with Mark Frior at the helm and 3 faction pvp. If they can pull the best elements of both sides of the genre they will have my money.

Edited for esses!

What the--- a post I actually agree with on here!? NO WAY!

P.S. I hope you're right about TES Online... I too am hoping it shapes up like a DAOC 2 :D.