Im seeing more and more of these articles

SvnStrSlm

Thanks, time saver person, you :)

Happy to help! The author did make me laugh with this:

Everquest, whose addictive tendencies tore apart my one and only online community experience (an X-Wing clan, of all things)

"Everquest killed my X-Wing clan!!! WAAAAAAAH!" lol

My favorite line was: "the play experience of MMOs is on par with roleplaying back in ‘87"

So... an RPG is like an RPG? How terrible.

Edited by dtim

My favorite line was: "the play experience of MMOs is on par with roleplaying back in ‘87"

If an MMO could truly capture that spirit it would be one of the best selling games of all time.

Also, any person that wants to get rid of an entire genre of games that millions of players enjoy just because he doesn't enjoy playing them is ego-maniacal in a way that is even hard to grasp.

What's his next article - "Why we should change all RTS games into FPS"?

Edited by spellegren

but that's how Kotaku rolls.

I've never enjoyed the RTS genre, perhaps they'd let me write on that...

Nothing to say bout the post but this made me smile so it's now in my sig. Thanks for the smile.

Thanks! I'm happy to bring a smile into your day!

Edited by spellegren

I got a kick out of

"paper-dolling a character with a purple cloak"

Admit it!

We're all playing a dress up game... MMOs are no different then my 7 year old daughters Bratz game on the DS, where the main goal is to get better clothes then everyone else so you can move to the next event

No need to read any further than that, and Vanguard was a terrible game.

Vanguard was a great game..it was being forced out incomplete and being so buggy that killed it.

there's more depth and potential in Vanguard then SWTOR or WoW could ever hope to have.

but stupidity killed it.

Vanguard was a great game..it was being forced out incomplete and being so buggy that killed it.

there's more depth and potential in Vanguard then SWTOR or WoW could ever hope to have.

but stupidity killed it.

Vanguard was O.K. - and it was Brad McQuaid's that killed it...when it was taken over by SOE pretty much no one even liked the man at the Sigil offices. I don't think I've ever seen a more hyped MMO fall on it's face...but those first few months after the game was announced were glorious. The crazy stuff us forum posters were tossing around was a bit naive and unrealistic.

Upcoming games like Tera and Guild Wars II are even better reference points: both MMOs in that they're designed to be played by large groups of people, but both offering radical departures from Everquest and WoW's tired old formula, most appealing of which is Tera's use of actual combat, which is enough to get me excited despite my track-record with the genre.

I loved that one, just shows how little he actually does know about the MMO market.

Yeah.. Kotaku posts about.. well basicly anything really.. are always horribly biased and uninformed. A funny way of reading opinion presented as journalism. If only they weren't so darn serious about it they could have actually been a good comedic website.

but stupidity killed it.

It had potential to be a great game, there is a difference. It came no where near its potential and was a failure on par with Horizons (if anyone even remembers that one).

The chances of ever seeing a skill based and/or sandbox mainstream mmo again are extremely slim. Though TES Online looks like it might shape up to be DAoC 2, with Mark Frior at the helm and 3 faction pvp. If they can pull the best elements of both sides of the genre they will have my money.

Edited for esses!

Edited by spellegren

The chances of ever seeing a skill based and/or sandbox mainstream mmo again are extremely slim. Though TES Online looks like it might shape up to be DAoC 2, with Mark Frior at the helm and 3 faction pvp. If they can pull the best elements of both sides of the genre they will have my money.

Again, don't let your EXPECTATIONS get ahead of reality. Nothing mentioned suggests ANY of that.

What the above (in yellow) demonstrates is how gamers alwys (ALWAYS) assume too much. Then, when the game does not meet THEIR expectations, they are the ones on the forums complaining that the developer "lied" or didn't deliver. Just watch. It will happen because it always does.

Statements that claim Swtor is a WoW clone turn me off.

I couldnt even finish my free trial in Wow and never subscribed and counted the purchase a waste of money.

Ive been in SWTOR since launch and have no subscription breaks.

It is ridiculouse to take a genre and claim cloneing.

If this is a Clone , well Call of Duty ,is a clone of Castle Wolfenstien and DOOM because they use the same first person perspective and have guns.Remove the guns and first person perspective of COD because its In the 1st person shooter genre.....well what genre of game do you then have? Is it a game anymore?

GENRE: forms of art or entertainment, e.g. music, whether written or spoken, audial or visual, based on some set of stylistic criteria. Genres are formed by conventions that change over time as new genres are invented and the use of old ones are discontinued. Often, works fit into multiple genres by way of borrowing and recombining these conventions.

People who only play FPS and single player games should not be blogging about MMOs. I think that is what you should take away from all these so-called "articles" that are popping up.

Since when has the random blogs of jackholes on the internet been taken as more than opinion pieces anyway?

If an MMO could truly capture that spirit it would be one of the best selling games of all time.

Also, any person that wants to get rid of an entire genre of games that millions of players enjoy just because he doesn't enjoy playing them is ego-maniacal in a way that is even hard to grasp.

What's his next article - "Why we should change all RTS games into FPS"?

Most bloggers are ego-maniacal. Why else would they think any of us give two ***** about their opinion?

but stupidity killed it.

SOE got involved. Of course stupidity killed it. SOE is the MMO killer. If you want WoW to die, just let SOE take it over, haha.

Again, don't let your EXPECTATIONS get ahead of reality. Nothing mentioned suggests ANY of that.

Because its Zenimax; that leaves me with at least one expectation:

There will be no working ladders.