The Issue with TOR and why people are leaving

Thrawler

I have to agree with the OP. in WOW I was bored to death ver early on in WOTLK but I didn't want to unsub till I had killed the Lich King. For me The Frozen Throne was my 1st foray into the WOW world so I already knew the story and also you saw the Lich King everywhere whilst questing so I really wanted to kill him. After I did, I lost interest and unsubbed but the game kept me there that little bit longer even though I was already bored.

SWTOR doesn't have a hook to keep you playing and that can be a good think for all us MMO addicts as I find myself spending less time playing now. I think that if there was more to do as a guild and keep players being social and entertained then they would retain more subs. Not talking raids either. Guild ships and mini games and that sort of stuff. Would love to be able to organize a guild pazzak tournament.

I was tanking every encounter on my druid on release, no problems - add´s did tank our DK or Pally / as my bear was always the MT. The normal mode was in most cases a 1 or 2 trys fight, that did not offer anything new than the raid encounters of previous addons. If you raided there, which I did then the fight´s were a walk in the park.

HC´s were limited due the gear available, as it took a while to grind the points for it or to be able to afford the enchants - some went for 4k on my server or were not available at all.

If you had the gear together, the HC´s did again not offer much and were most of the time very easy. Exceptions like LK HC 10 men are ofc. there, but the majority of the content does not really need much.

Ofc I do have a bit more knowledge than the WOTLK gamer, but in the end it was not very fun to have content that is only repeated constantly and only hard because of some achivements that you can get for some goofy items or titles.

The constant whine you describe was of low skilled players that sorry to say, were brought to wow at WOTLK. They did not understand the simple mechanics like CC, Mana management, CR, OT, kiting etc.

As I said, wow aint so great - it really is not, atleast not anymore.

On release of Cata tanking the new heroics was not a problem. But if you was trying to heal one it was. Later as healers got better gear and Blizz buffed some of thier abilities, it became easier. Then later as the dps got geared better, tanks started to fall behind some on threat. To the point Blizz offered specail rewards to get players to tank. That still was not enough, so they buffed tank threat 40% to get the tanks back to tanking again.

Seems you mostly raided in 25 man ones, which have allways been easier. And you did have the option to try running heroic 10 man Lich King for more of challenge you know. Now, heroic Dragon Soul on the Spine part esp, is very, very challenging.

Personally I can see why a lot would leave. SWTOR has issues in the customer service department. I think it's all automated myself. Personally only get generic replies saying no I can't get item back cuz there is nobody wanting to take any time to verify anything was lost. Same with son. Can lose stuff in mail or get taken by a vendor but they don't care how much of your time it wasted.

In WoW..I think best time was 5 min and longest was 4 days.

In Rift...best was about 15 min and longest 2 days.

Both of those returned the items...

SWTOR...10 days later wrong answer to ticket, 12 days later update to wrong answer..14 days later no we cant verify..then less than 2 hours to say NO! There will be no returning items when game is at fault...ok..your loss

As far as content, I have had many glitches so far...have only had game lil over a month so I'm sure there is more I haven't seen yet. I think when I went to log in there was a hotfix for matrix cubes and asking not to notify customer service that the items will be returned. As I have no clue what a matrix cube is.. I know I got lucky this time and don't have to worry about it. What I have noticed is in order to play the game, a person has to spend time on the forums looking for list of known glitches and try to avoid. Every time you send mail...you need to take a screen shot I guess...Not too sure how to prove you mail something to alt and don't get. Every time you buy from a vendor...take screen shot to show currency before and after said purchase...It's a bit much.

I cancelled my sub because of lack of "true" customer service. When glitches in the game cause you to waste hours of time and customer service blows you off, why bother? I decide how I waste my time....You can't pick up the phone and talk to a supervisor..they only take calls in the billing department..thats where the money is...everyone else has to go thru game or forums. Tried getting a supervisor thru game and it's impossible.

My point is, if I have seen this much bs already in just the first month...Not gonna pay for more of the same.

First off, let's keep the comparison between the two games strictly to the vanilla release versions. Expansions have a specific theme to them (i.e. Illidan, Arthas, and Deathwing) whereas release is more general. WoW started with MC and BWL and their main story, but once those were cleared on a regular basis, the had to add new raids. SWTOR started with EV, and now that that has been cleared plenty, they added new ones.

Nothing is different except the mentality of gamers of 2006 and now. Back then really tough raids were just how things were and we accepted that for what it was (and most of us liked the challenge). As time went on, business kicked in and started dumbing things down to allow lesser skilled players experience the content they spent a lot of money creating. Now it's 2012 and Bioware can't revert to vanilla WoW difficulty or else it'll still lose subs to scrubs and casuals. Hence the reason for NM and HM.

IMO, people are impatient and excepted everything at once. If you think about all the things people are crying about that need to be added to the game, almost none of it existed in vanilla WoW. So why then didn't vanilla WoW suffer 25% sub losses? Think about it.

You do realize we never see Darth Malgus actually die? Did you ever think that the reason we have to knock him off is so we don't actually kill him? Same goes for Revan in the Foundry, he doesn't die onscreen either in the traditional sense. Both of these characters are too well entrenched in SWTOR lore to die at the hands for 4 people in a heroic instance. They met their demise in a way that could allow them to be brought back at a later date and for that Bioware actually handled the situations right.

My main reasons for leaving ....

1) Re-rolled twice due to servers dying.

2) Cant find groups to do flashpoints or heroics

3) PVP is mind shatteringly bad

4) Kill these three guys who just stand there......now kill these three guys who just stand there.....hey here are three more guys who just stand there, I guess I need to kill them.

5) In my opinion companions are a huge mistake. I hated having to rely on a AI controlled companion to play with. (If they die, chances are you are going down too)

6) WAY too instanced

As a new player started two months ago I couldn't agree with the above more +1 well said.

The thing that annoys me the most is the amount of patches on a weekly basis because they have broken something again.

PVP is well compared to other MMOs it stinks

And finding groups as pointed out already is a pain.

Well the story involving the Dread Masters is building. Likely to be the boss of the next Ops. Which is revealed at the end of EC. Dunno if you've done it, but yeah that was quite interesting.

And apparently (cant find original source for this) Revan does return in the future. Whether part of a FP, Ops, Enemy, Ally, I have no clue.

But yeah I agree with EV and KP, especially KP. Atleast EV you're saving the Galaxy from this ancient evil that has awoken. Wheras KP, just a big fat Hutt causin trouble on the streets.

Tbh, I think people should spend just that little bit less time space-barring everything. The immersion from cinematics can make things a wee bit more fun. Not much, but a little.

But once your done leveling, where does the story go? it stops, there is nothing to keep people playing.

And it's exactly why they should have never catered to the "Single-Player" antisocial crowd.

But people are leaving for more reasons than that.

Especially the ones stuck on dead servers where the game feels the worse.

Edited by Tiaa

My take on the effectiveness of a story hook is partly what the OP said. The fact that Darth Malgus is PRed to a high level and yet killed in an early FP by being thrown off a ledge is a big let down. That tougher FPs have unheard of bosses with little emotional buildup (PR) before finding them and killing them means they are just loot runs.

But also other story mistakes. Most prominently that the repeatable quests (dailies and heroics that is) are storied as if you do them once and you're done. Once you go to do any of them a second time, the story becomes meaningless as a result. This trains me to ignore the story completely just to get to the options that matter (if any do). Which means that, when I then encounter a quest I haven't done yet, I get impatient at the story details that I've learned won't matter - even when it's a class story quest for an alt where it actually does matter (sort of, maybe).

Come on, if it's repeatable, give a story justification for why I have to do it again!!

Another story mistake is that, other than the class quest and FPs, every quest involves just the planet it's on and just the local area. Come on, this is a galactic conflict we're in. Surely there's got to be someone on Nar Shaddaa or Corellia that needs something acquired from (or someone killed on) Balmorra or Dromund Kaas or Voss, and only asks the player to do it because of <something other than just "you look powerful, help me">.

Then there's gaffes like the intelligent agent asking my Chiss agent to do a a mission covering up the killing of a Chiss ambassador as if I'm neither with intelligence nor Chiss.

The recent event was an improvement, but it still suffered from many flaws where the story didn't match the quests: news announcements proclaiming "stay away from Tatooine", but effectively nothing that impeded getting to Tatooine or, more importantly, leaving (like not being able to use a fleet pass if infected, for example); daily missions that only became available the day after doing some other daily, but no story justification for the delay or progress; a quest to infect 10 others without a quest giver who actually seeks such an outcome (a quest giver for this who would only talk to you if you were sick would have been perfect); a "vaccine" that cured you too. I could go on.

I think it would be wonderful if some quests could only be found after reading something about it on a news terminal, for example.

The fun I have in this game largely comes from playing with others, friends and strangers alike. But the only reason to *do* anything in this game is to acquire things and the stories, as written, just get in the way. And acquiring virtual stuff isn't really a draw for me. As things now stand, my guildies and the as yet unfinished class story lines are the only things keeping me in the game - and many of my guildies are leaving.

TL;DR

As long as the story for a quest reinforces ignoring the story, the story won't matter. Make the story and responses matter - off the cuff example: a daily quest where one option opens up one FP and another opens a different FP, but you can't have both open at once (yes, it would be less convenient, but story immersion is really the only way to keep the story relevant).

As it stands now, Bioware is using story like giftwrap - it looks good when you get it, but everyone quickly tears through it and throws it away.

Same goes for Revan in the Foundry,

WHAT!? Revan is rescued in Maelstrom Prison.. He mentioned going off to the Foundry... and he apparently dies? WOW Glad we got informed.. Friggin Winnie The Pooh dropped the ball on that one...

Tbh, I think people should spend just that little bit less time space-barring everything. The immersion from cinematics can make things a wee bit more fun. Not much, but a little.

I've watched every cinematic in this game, there is story, when you enter the Op, but theres 0 leading up to it, telling us why we need to head there. Theres probably thousands of people who don't know why SOA needs to die, or What Karraga is doing. because they've never been in the Op to find out.

The class Stories are great, but they lead to nothing, in my mind I was expecting them to all lead to the final end game plot.

Its not about how hard or easy the fights are, its about the story the build up. and in all honesty I think WOTLK had one of the most epic build ups to the final Boss, they released new videos of the LK wrecking havoc among Northrend, the rallying of Alliance and Horde at the Wrath Gate and the LK just laughing, made the story insane, and just made me want to burn him down even more. made me want to work harder play harder just to kill the bastard whos been attacking my people, my land.

**Also throughout Northrend leveling up, your greeted by the LK in many different quests and watching him and his power grow also made him seem more of a ******.

Its all about the story, of course if the fight is to easy and the story made them seem like a ****** and he wasn't, (I.E Darth Malgus, is a push over, but somehow is strong enough to conquer an entire city wide planet, but falls to a simple thermal grenade, The Emperor able to do what he did to Nathmas, and yet a simple jedi and his droid can knock em down.)

everyone has their own reasons for playing the games they play, but personally I play for the Story Lines, the Love Triangles, I enjoy seeing how peoples live unfold as I progress through the world.

and SWTOR I think did an amazing job, up until you hit 50, I lost all interest in the game, I still do End Game, but I don't know why I do it, who are these people, why do we want them dead? I know SOA is a imprisoned being because of how powerful and phsyco he is but, more development on his storyline would have been nice. same with Karagga. or even Keph. I mean really who is Keph, what is he, where did he come from, what does he want.

So many questions.

You are aware that what really kill MMO's are people like you posting on official forums like this, right ?

Edited by Brorim

Seems you mostly raided in 25 man ones, which have allways been easier. And you did have the option to try running heroic 10 man Lich King for more of challenge you know. Now, heroic Dragon Soul on the Spine part esp, is very, very challenging.

That is absolutely hysterical. 10 man Heroic LK was a g'damn JOKE compared to 25 man.

off the cuff example: a daily quest where one option opens up one FP and another opens a different FP, but you can't have both open at once (yes, it would be less convenient, but story immersion is really the only way to keep the story relevant).

As it stands now, Bioware is using story like giftwrap - it looks good when you get it, but everyone quickly tears through it and throws it away.

Don't know if you played WOW during 4.1/4.2 but WOW started to release phase questing, which I think was awesome and surprised SWTOR didn't take up.

It goes a long great with Story telling, you see your progress in the world around you.

ex. in Wow in doing the Hyjal dailies, you do your dailies, and as you do them you unlock new dailies which progresses the story, and you see the surroundings change, the new Tree grows and begins to bloom etc.

SWTOR would have a huge advantage over other games if they did phased questing like this, because of the great story telling that BW does imagine what they could do with a MMO with phased questing.

Is everyone here aware that there is a Chapter 4, 5, 6 and more waiting to be released at some point? This isn't all there is. They're redoing the PVP on Ilum. They're working on the space project.

Patience. Or take a break and go declutter your head in a forest.

There is no Magic Wand of Project Acceleration in the real world. Sucks, but true.

Is everyone here aware that there is a Chapter 4, 5, 6 and more waiting to be released at some point? This isn't all there is. They're redoing the PVP on Ilum. They're working on the space project.

Patience. Or take a break and go declutter your head in a forest.

There is no Magic Wand of Project Acceleration in the real world. Sucks, but true.

Been taking a break....and I hate it when I donot spend atleast a couple hrs each day when I can afford to playing a game I am paying a monthly sub to play. And if some things are not changed or added by the mid summer..I am going take a real long break..:p