@ ChrisCollins - Matrix Cubes

This mess is getting ridiculous. First the crashing to desktop issue andnow I can't log in cuz i'll lose my Matrix Cube, also I seen nothing in the patch fixing this problem. Im NOT gonna log in now. And if they take a whole week to fix this problem too, im quitting. im just wasting time and money with each issue and my patience is wearing thin.

Sad too. I JUST got a Beta invite for "Mist of Pandora" (Or whatever) and I haven't played WoW like forever. I'll give them two days to fix this. Then i'll quit. I really had hope for this game, maybe they need to lose some subs before they get on the ball.

When the game is functioning at least fiuidly, I might come back but right now im not feeling it now with this game. No offense to Bioware but you got a loooooooong way to go with this MMO but I wish them the best of luck. I still love you guys though. It's funny, I just wrote in a recent post that I don't post "I unsub post," now here I am. Well my 15 bucks can be used elsewhere for something important now I guess.

Peace, and good luck with this my friends.

the same way people that play video games assume they know anything at all about how programing works and how this can easily happen. Think in terms of the butterfly effect. That is, in essence, what coding can do. Think in terms of trying to follow a single strand in a bowl of spaghetti, that is what programers face. It is why we used to refer to it as "spaghetti code" back in the day, long long ago in a galaxy far far away.....

True, in 99% of the cases... in THIS case, the in-house test team simply did NOT open their eyes.... the missing piece of gear should have stood out like a black eye ......

There is NO excuse for this....

Edited by Rasticles

Which do you think is more realistic?:

1. That a publicly traded major software development company releases software live without any testing.

2. That the software is tested internally, but conditions occur in the live environment that were not replicated in the internal lab setting?

Seriously.

Now you know why they need to have Server Copy asap. The truth is a lot of people actually LOVE to play test server but they don't want to regrind new 50's on a game designed to play alts to improve quality of life for your main. Once they do this, the test will get the "simulated live" treatment it needs to avoid this stuff. It won't be full proof but i'd rather lose my Matrix Cube on the test server than on my main server. At least I can just recopy the guy on the test server. You don't get the luxury on a live server. You feel me?

Which do you think is more realistic?:

1. That a publicly traded major software development company releases software live without any testing.

2. That the software is tested internally, but conditions occur in the live environment that were not replicated in the internal lab setting?

Seriously.

In this case? I'll take option 1. - they may have "unit tested" the change (ie checked that the change worked in that little module) but no further.

Bad enough that they introduced this bug, but they can't even get the conditions that trigger the bug correct. The big bad warning message in the launcher should read "If you have a matrix cube equipped on a character, DO NOT LOGIN to that character".

Regression Testing is a tried and true technique for minimizing this type of bug. Bioware apparently doesn't do it in house, and doesn't care to give their paying customers an opportunity to do so on the PTS.

The next "slap in the face" will be the mindless game droids telling those that lost their matrix cube that they can't restore it and they can't reset the fact that you have picked up the shards from the datacrons. It could be worse, instead of just disappearing the missing matrix cubes could have been placed on top of a crawler in the Tatooine desert with a two hour balloon ride as the only access path!

True, in 99% of the cases... in THIS case, the in-house test team simply did NOT open their eyes.... the missing piece of gear should have stood out like a black eye ......

There is NO excuse for this....

The problem is you don't have 1.whatever million testers on the in house test server in various situations, states, and conditions testing the game. All their gear is probably earned via a debugger. Allowing them to focus test specifics without the grind. Problem is when they do this, they bypass odd, new bugs like this Matrix Cube bug which could have been detected if they had Test Server Copy up. This would have been caught early by accident and would not have been an issue. The only obvious reason this got passed up is that their few hundred testers all did not have their Matrix Cube attatched which is realistic if the team is focus testing certain things because they dont' play the game like us. (Hence why they THINK you have to equip the darn cube to lose it).

It could be worse, instead of just disappearing the missing matrix cubes could have been placed on top of a crawler in the Tatooine desert with a two hour balloon ride as the only access path!

Would that be the balloon that disappears from under you despite two patches that fixed it?

Beta testing does not an engineer make. Please stop posting this type of misinformation. If you had any knowledge or experience at all you would be laughing at your statement.

I'm not talking about beta testing. I develop software for a living, and I can tell you that when we release a software patch that makes things worse than what we're fixing, it is considered unacceptable. When tell our client that something is fixed when it isn't, that's considered unacceptable.

Yes, on occasion **** happens and a bug gets through or something we think that gets fixed doesn't. But it also doesn't happen every time we release code. Why? Because we perform regression testing, several rounds of testing, and accurately track what is in the release. Is it 100% perfect? No. Do bugs still get through on occasion? Yes. Do we release new bugs every time we release a new patch? Absolutely not.

And when a bug does get through, we damn sure look into where the process went wrong to try and make sure it doesn't happen again. We don't just say "aw shucks, that's software development for ya. Sometimes things just break and you lose you data."

I don't need to be an auto mechanic to know when someone is doing a crappy job of fixing my car. If I take my car in for an oil change, and smoke comes out of the hood when I start it, I know they messed something up. Similarly, you don't need to be a software engineer to know that having a piece of your gear just disappear when you log in means somebody (or rather multiple people) messed up the patch.

I'm trying to work out how they managed this - according to the pacth notes there was nothing changed with datacron, shards, cubes or relics in general - so how did someone manage to delete an item from every character on every server everywhere in the world? They can't have deleted that actual cubes - because, if they're in your bag, then you're OK - so they still exist in the game.

Baffling huh?

I'll tell you how - SABOTAGE! BioWare, you've been infiltrated! :eek:

In the dawn of other games coming out, you pull this??? Hmm...You got not just a few infiltrators, but like your storyline goes for one of your classes - you have many, many infiltrators from your competitors in your ranks. (And some of them are high up on the food chain, too, I suspect!)

They are TAKING YOU DOWN from the INSIDE!!! :wea_02::wea_12:

Seriously, though, there's incompetence and then there's..... THIS! :mad:

You have to wonder...is it deliberate:rak_02:

In other words... Don’t log in… WOW!!!

/facepalm

Hello everyone,

We know that a number of you wish to discuss issues related to the matrix cubes at the moment and in order to keep the discussion together we ask that everyone use this thread. This will help to ensure our forums are tidy and everyone can participate in the ongoing conversation. We will be closing this thread, feel free to carry on there!