@ ChrisCollins - Matrix Cubes

We have identified that loading into a new area while having a Matrix Cube equipped can cause the item to disappear. We recommend that you refrain from equipping a Matrix Cube until further notice. .

The info you posted is wrong. The cube does not disappear on switching zones but already disappears on logging into the game when you have the cube equipped. So your advice is useless since most players have the cube equipped.

Edited by HammersteinSW

Yeah - it seems that "logging on" also counts as "changing area".

I worked in a support team for a software house supporting a "well known UK mobile company" - they used to just throw updates into production without testing them - caused all kinds of problems. We said "This has got to be the only company in the world that works like this"......

Seems not

I worked in a support team for a software house supporting a "well known UK mobile company" - they used to just throw updates into production without testing them - caused all kinds of problems. We said "This has got to be the only company in the world that works like this"......

Seems not

If you honestly believe that any significant piece of software in the entire history of computing has shipped bug-free, you haven't been in computing for very long. Bug-free software is the holy grail, not the standard, for a whole variety of reasons. That's the whole reason modern software has versioning and a patch/update system.

If you're invested in a game you like being bug-free, consider going to the public test server (when patches become available there) and actually testing.

If you honestly believe that any significant piece of software in the entire history of computing has shipped bug-free, you haven't been in computing for very long. Bug-free software is the holy grail, not the standard, for a whole variety of reasons. That's the whole reason modern software has versioning and a patch/update system.

If you're invested in a game you like being bug-free, consider going to the public test server (when patches become available there) and actually testing.

22 years - suck it up

oh - and *every* major bit of software is bug ridden - I just don't expect patches to make things worse.

Look up "regression testing"

Edited by Colow_Leper

Can't test a thing when they choose not to even put anything on the PTS in 4+ weeks. It's no wonder people are leaving in droves, they can't get through a simple maintenance update without breaking something new.

Can't test a thing when they choose not to even put anything on the PTS in 4+ weeks. It's no wonder people are leaving in droves, they can't get through a simple maintenance update without breaking something new.

... like every other MMO patch. Even thoroughly tested on test servers in various MMOs, patches have a tendency to warrant their own patch, not to mention a patch for the patch, before another patch or hotfix is rolled out to then fix everything that was buggered up by the patch for the last patch's patch.

Also, if they don't give people their cubes back, it's just another reason to leave. All of these childish demands made of video game developers are getting old. They will fix it or they will not. Constantly crying on a forum does nothing but make these people look like 8 year olds who got their Thomas the Tank Engine taken away.

Yup - think that's about it for me as well. Straw - camel..... *crack*

Odd that I even got accused of being a "fanboi" when I defended how the developers would be struggling when the game first came out.

They would get people to play on Test if they copied over characters, but I won't level another 50 from scratch on a test server to help Bioware do their job.

That did seem very odd to me - they make a change in end game content, and yet have nobody able to test it. They get no bug reports in from PTS (or very few) - so they put it into production...... *bang*!

I didn't equip my cube. It was already equipped. All I did was log in, no switching zones, just log in, and it's gone. :(

Guess I'm lucky though, all I do is log in to chat with friends. Don't need my cube for that lol

What concerns me most: will equipping another relic on the spot of matrix cube cause dmg do the cube itself? it's not seen on the spot or in stats, but fixing the issue may try to put the cube in the spot it was before, therefore it is unknown how the game will react if the spot is taken...

They would get people to play on Test if they copied over characters, but I won't level another 50 from scratch on a test server to help Bioware do their job.

This

And they don't even need to set up transfers...they could simply add a buffing NPC but they won't even do that.

Edited by DizzD

How in the HELL do you break something so fundamental as this?

Your programmers are killing my faith in this game with every patch released.

"One of your best pieces of gear is now broken. You probably shouldn't use it. Oh...you probably shouldn't log in either..."

"One of your best pieces of gear is now broken. You probably shouldn't use it. Oh...you probably shouldn't log in either..."

I'm trying to work out how they managed this - according to the pacth notes there was nothing changed with datacron, shards, cubes or relics in general - so how did someone manage to delete an item from every character on every server everywhere in the world? They can't have deleted that actual cubes - because, if they're in your bag, then you're OK - so they still exist in the game.

Baffling huh?

Wow, now that was a useless piece of advice. Care to tell us *how* do we avoid equipping an item which was already equipped prior to the patch downtime without logging in? Oh, wait, that's impossible.

Oh well, thankfully it's only one week till Diablo III goes live and I will have something else to do instead of pondering what the heck will be broken next Tuesday.

Stop it. Yes, in any large software system, an occasional bug slips through. "Occasional" being the key word. This game introduces new bugs almost every patch, often worse than the minor issue the patch allegedly fixes. That is considered unacceptable (I speak from experience as someone who has developed and tested software). Every patch also has notes for something they claim was fixed, but wasn't. That also is unacceptable.

They should have some sort of process that controls and checks exactly what changes were in any patch, and they clearly don't.

The info you posted is wrong. The cube does not disappear on switching zones but already disappears on logging into the game when you have the cube equipped. So your advice is useless since most players have the cube equipped.

Logging presents the same loading as changing zones. it is the process performed through the loading screen that appears to be removing the item.

This is not a contest to see who is more "right" friend.

Stop it. Yes, in any large software system, an occasional bug slips through. "Occasional" being the key word. This game introduces new bugs almost every patch, often worse than the minor issue the patch allegedly fixes. That is considered unacceptable (I speak from experience as someone who has developed and tested software). Every patch also has notes for something they claim was fixed, but wasn't. That also is unacceptable.

They should have some sort of process that controls and checks exactly what changes were in any patch, and they clearly don't.

Beta testing does not an engineer make. Please stop posting this type of misinformation. If you had any knowledge or experience at all you would be laughing at your statement.

the same way people that play video games assume they know anything at all about how programing works and how this can easily happen. Think in terms of the butterfly effect. That is, in essence, what coding can do. Think in terms of trying to follow a single strand in a bowl of spaghetti, that is what programers face. It is why we used to refer to it as "spaghetti code" back in the day, long long ago in a galaxy far far away.....

That. Is. Just. It. They are NOT putting these mini patches on the PTS for testing. They are pushing them without ANY testing. Try again.

the same way people that play video games assume they know anything at all about how programing works and how this can easily happen. Think in terms of the butterfly effect. That is, in essence, what coding can do. Think in terms of trying to follow a single strand in a bowl of spaghetti, that is what programers face. It is why we used to refer to it as "spaghetti code" back in the day, long long ago in a galaxy far far away.....

Hence "regression testing".

And as to "spaghetti code" (seems you're a structured coder - same as me) it's become the norm - which just means that it's a nightmare to change anything, test anything, fix anything.... BUT - who would be to blame were the code in this condition in the first place?

They are pushing them without ANY testing.

Which do you think is more realistic?:

1. That a publicly traded major software development company releases software live without any testing.

2. That the software is tested internally, but conditions occur in the live environment that were not replicated in the internal lab setting?

Seriously.