Multiple Bonus Series: Choose Your Side

jgelling

Here's one of the biggest frustrations with re-rolling, in my experience: after you've just spent an interminably long time reliving the same content from your faction, you're invited to complete the "Bonus series" for your current planet. Now, at that point, you're probably MORE than ready to get off that rock and continue with your new class quest in a different setting.

But the rewards for the Bonus series are insanely good compared to the main story, and on a reward/time basis is at least twice as profitable, so you stick around and do it. And invariably, the storyline is boring: you've already crushed the enemy, but please complete these 3-4 additional tasks to further stomp their faces.

How about a curveball to the "Bonus series" - why not have the enemy faction contact you and invite you to work with them? That way, you get to choose which side you want to work for with a little moonlighting, and you get to mix things up with a different cast of characters and different sidequest missions, if you so choose. You could also explore the other faction's territory, and it'd be an opportunity for light/dark choices. Best of all, it breaks the tedium of the Bonus series as it is now, optional but boring, despite the outsized rewards.

What does everyone think - a little variety in the Bonus series? A chance to stab your faction in the back for fun and profit?

Edited by jgelling

I'm sure the Sith would love a Jedi on Korriban doing their laundry, sounds great!

The Sith are always looking for converts - willingly or otherwise :). Any number of factions on the Empire or Republic side would be willing to bribe opposing assets to come work for them, especially if they've been causing trouble - Imperial Intelligence, SiS, Czerka, the Exchange, the Hutts, the Sith, who knows?

It opens a lot of possibilities in the writing, and maybe your double agent employers could try stabbing you in the back in the end just to add a bit more excitement to the series :)

Edited by jgelling

But the rewards for the Bonus series are insanely good compared to the main story, and on a reward/time basis is at least twice as profitable, so you stick around and do it. And invariably, the storyline is boring: you've already crushed the enemy, but please complete these 3-4 additional tasks to further stomp their faces.

Leveling my Sith Warrior I HAVE to completely annihilate and stomp my enemies faces into the ground, its just natural. Would be cool with options though, as to how to go about it :o

Leveling my Sith Warrior I HAVE to completely annihilate and stomp my enemies faces into the ground, its just natural. Would be cool with options though, as to how to go about it :o

It could be as simple as offering the exact same missions from the opposing faction's Bonus series with just a brief intro to set up the offer to turn double agent, or it could be an all new mission set. It might not be too terrible to script a 3-4 mission Bonus series.

It'd just be good to add variety to re-rolling and to me that'd be a relatively easy way to do it, with a part of the game that doesn't thrill anyone - the Bonus series drag out the story too much right now without a purpose other than stuffing credits/exp/commendations down the players' pockets.

Edited by jgelling

It could be as simple as offering the exact same missions from the opposing faction's Bonus series with just a brief intro to set up the offer to turn double agent, or it could be an all new mission set. It might not be too terrible to script a 3-4 mission Bonus series.

It'd just be good to add variety to re-rolling and to me that'd be a relatively easy way to do it, with a part of the game that doesn't thrill anyone - the Bonus series drag out the story too much right now without a purpose other than stuffing credits/exp/commendations down the players' pockets.

I think it might be more interesting, although also more time consuming for the developers, to add more planets. Like in the KOTOR games we would sometimes touch down on a planets moon, how about that for bonus series? Change it up a bit so that whilst you have been working to free, or invade, some planet, the moon has been lost and you have to help retake it. Something like that, would space up the bonus series and leveling experience, even if it is an awesome leveling experience.

Other than that, I like your idea.

I think it might be more interesting, although also more time consuming for the developers, to add more planets. Like in the KOTOR games we would sometimes touch down on a planets moon, how about that for bonus series? Change it up a bit so that whilst you have been working to free, or invade, some planet, the moon has been lost and you have to help retake it. Something like that, would space up the bonus series and leveling experience, even if it is an awesome leveling experience.

Other than that, I like your idea.

An even better idea - choice of missions in a new setting. Of course, the downside there is you'd need new maps too, which is probably quite a lot of work, but it would be an even better improvement.