Is The Fatman Saving SWTOR?

There are many servers that currently have a healthy population however population decline continues to be evident across all servers with the 1,2 effect having worn off after 10 days or so.

Of course the decline is less noticeable on the more popular servers because they still have a critical mass , perhaps the signs are that queues for WZs start taking longer or it takes longer to get a Tank/healer for a FP.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, the upcoming transfer/shut-down culling of low-pops should work as beautifully as it did for RIFT last year. Check it out. The proof is in the RIFT pudding. ;)

If it used like in RIFT. I fear a little bit that we more see something like in WoW. Trans used to depopulate servers with queues and send the players to the low-populated servers for free. Never worked well in WoW.

I hope that Servermerges are also on the board for the near future, so that some servers will be closed completly. Can´t speak for the others, but there are 30 german servers, and some are really dead. At least 5 can be closed (with the players moved to other servers) to stablelized (? spelling) the population there. For exemple, there are 3 RP-PvE servers, one standard-to-high popoluated, one light-to-standard and one light. Allowing all players to move to the other two (and then merge the server to get that characters/accounts that are actually frozen/unsubcribed)

And i hope there will be a permanent free-transfer option from RP-PvE to PvE and RP-PVP to PVP for that people, that are just wrong on an RP-Server.

Overpopulation is preferable to the graveyard of perpetually 'light' population servers (basically all European servers) that often struggle to boast more than 100 people online in all instances even at good times... Feels more likely Minimally Multiplayer as opposed to Massively Multiplayer!

That's not true. My server is the 7th most populated EU server and I can say it has a healthy population, not super good but there are working guilds, pvp and FPing going on. Even pug OPs happen. I mean I could do with double this population too but it doesn't feel lonely, even while levelling usually.

The sub loss is not bad but it comes at the same time as they opened the 3 asia/pacific servers. so many servers that where decently populated where left weakened by the two events. which than began a mass exodus to more populated servers, making these servers barren. If Cross server WZ's would have been added during this time line it would have counter balanced alot of elder game player, but it was delayed until TBD.

This was poor implemnting of servces and someone should have their knucles racked with a ruler.

So now they will have to create a transfer system, that will encourage those who havent already rerolled/quit to merge themselves on mid range servers.This will take priority over x-server, but only slightly.

With these two systems on the burner i would bet open world pvp (ilum revamp) has been set back even further in the to do list.

There are several servers that reach heavy/full RP-pvp RP Pve PVP( i believe 2 pvp 2 pve and 1 each for rp and rp-pvp), but the fatman is the only one that seems to never go below standard at any hour.

Folks, I don't know how many times people have to say this, but some of you should take notice.

The PVP teams are NOT the same development teams working on character transfer functions. There are different teams that are specializing in different skill sets and there is no reason that one system takes precedence over another system, because they aren't throwing everyone on one project, because that would be an incredibly stupid thing to do.

So the chance of the open world PVP team being set back due to character transfers is almost nil.

Folks, I don't know how many times people have to say this, but some of you should take notice.

The PVP teams are NOT the same development teams working on character transfer functions. There are different teams that are specializing in different skill sets and there is no reason that one system takes precedence over another system, because they aren't throwing everyone on one project, because that would be an incredibly stupid thing to do.

So the chance of the open world PVP team being set back due to character transfers is almost nil.

Yes, it's completely nil. One team's priorities have absolutely nothing to do with another team's priorities. So, when BioWare says that server transfers are their number one priority, it is! For the team working on server transfers.

It's called "non-zero-sum", people. And, yes, it's not the typical developer function. BioWare did something different, though: they kept the entire team that created TOR, instead of laying them off like normal.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

In my opinion I don't mind queues as long as I get to play the game in the end. If I have to wait through a queue I always make myself something to eat, text someone, or go on another computer and do whatever until the queue is gone.

It doesn't work that way. The reason BioWare added so many new servers was because at launch the tears of people waiting in queues flooded all the way to the moon. The tears and rage back then was a lot worse than it is now.

the red eclipse seems fine too, easy to group and all the planets seem to boast 50+ every time i log no matter what time.

dont go to fleet much as i get huge lag, but from the times i have its always been 100+, often 200+

trust me, i came from wow with a dead server....40-50 people on the server TOPS at prime time, its the nature of server balance that people drift in and out.

i know theres a huge investment in time and effort, but really - re rolling an alt on another server until something is done about merge/transfer really is the way to go.

i originally rolled on lord calypho and found it dead, left my lvl35 jugg there, and went to TRE and now have a lvl 50 sith and a lvl 29 BH and loving it.

(ive only been playing a few weeks too btw)

However the chance of an Open World release being set back because of server transfers (or some other high priority need) is not nil.

Once the differemt dev teams have done their bit, it's then on to the System Test, QA, Release, Service Transition , Service Ops teams.

And then you have the Change Management process/board.....Devs are the least of your problem. :D

Maybe if you and other spent more time in game and less time on these board complaining about the lack of people in game then you wouldn't have problems finding groups.

I'm not on Fatman and I've never had a problem find groups to game with on my server.

I'm on The Fatman and I'm not QQ'ing. -_-

I'm just taking action here on the forums to look for some results in a mature discussion for my interview.

It doesn't work that way. The reason BioWare added so many new servers was because at launch the tears of people waiting in queues flooded all the way to the moon. The tears and rage back then was a lot worse than it is now.

I just hope when these transfers and possibly merges are over, that I don't have to see the QQ'ing of queues on these forums, I swear the Force. I think if I dealt with it during SWTOR's beta everyone else could have, too. But what can you do? :p

Fatman's not the only server like that, but they do really need to merge servers and make more just like it

I give up. I guess you have succumbed to your own signature. So, keep crying for mergers. I'm tired of telling people they aren't coming.

Doesn't change the fact they aren't coming, however.

Fatman isn't the only server; the only reason it is talked about the most is because PvPers complain the most of any other gamer and the Fatman is a PvP server, which is why there are so many PvPers there, which is why in complaints about server issues, it is the server people only talk about, because PvPers complain the most of any other gamer.

Edited by Jederix

the harbinger is the PVE equivalent of Fatman...dont forget about Harbinger for PVE

sometimes i think all people care about are PvP servers

PvPers complain a lot. It is understandable that the Fatman is the topic of discussion, as most of the complainers are also self-professed PvPers.

I give up. I guess you have succumbed to your own signature. So, keep crying for mergers. I'm tired of telling people they aren't coming.

Doesn't change the fact they aren't coming, however.

Fatman isn't the only server; the only reason it is talked about the most is because PvPers complain the most of any other gamer and the Fatman is a PvP server, which is why there are so many PvPers there, which is why in complaints about server issues, it is the server people only talk about, because PvPers complain the most of any other gamer.

Sure they will. To state otherwise is ridiculous.

Every server costs a significant amount to operate. No business is going to shoulder that cost if populations continue to decline.

Edited by WickedDjinn

PvPers complain a lot. It is understandable that the Fatman is the topic of discussion, as most of the complainers are also self-professed PvPers.

I am mainly a PvPer, but I do my best to keep my cool and not complain/QQ. I do look at the positive aspects, point out the negative aspects, and try to point out things that need to be changed, kept or removed completely.

I understand, though, that these forums are filled with lots of QQ'ers. Someone pointed me out for complaining—told them I play on The Fatman and that I'm taking action on here maturely. :)

I think my enjoyment of the game would go down a tad if my server were suddenly as busy as The Fatman. Could be wrong... guess I'll find out when they start allowing transfers. Hoping 200 people don't land on my server all at the same time. Great for endgame, but not so great for leveling, which is what I'm more into.

I play on The Fatman and population is clearly down on the server. Pre 1.2 we had night queue times of 30+ minutes for a good 6 hour stretch. Now you might see it reach Very Heavy for a short time during prime time.

The server still has a large population mind you, it just isn't anywhere near as populated as it was ~4 weeks ago. 1.2 drove a ton of people out of the game completely, I'm still boggled that people are kind of ignoring that.

I think my enjoyment of the game would go down a tad if my server were suddenly as busy as The Fatman. Could be wrong... guess I'll find out when they start allowing transfers. Hoping 200 people don't land on my server all at the same time. Great for endgame, but not so great for leveling, which is what I'm more into.

Actually its great for leveling. Dropped over to Fatman, made a toon. Started leveling. Lo and behold, I was churning out group quests as fast as I was my solo quests. I was meeting people. Having fun. It was.... a very different experience than being on tat with say... 10 people.

Fatman is the only FULL server that I see most all the time. Yes it is far more easy to group for anything.

Yet a re-roll is what you have to do as BW does not seem to want a save this game. They say some time this summer for a merge that is Badly needed NOW !

About saving the game, for the moment but when folks 30 day free expires... we shall see

Edited by DogMeat

A server boasting "Light" status can boast a sustainable and thriving community as well. Not all of them do, with approximately a third supporting very little activity at all. As such 2/3 are doing alright. Additionally, your "feel of a MMO" statement is entirely subjective and holds no bearing as fact.

That is pure crap. I've rerolled 3 times now and "Standard" is barely tolerable and often downright terrible for grouping, market access and PVP queues.

If the server isn't high or very high during prime the entire game experience suffers. Ask anyone who moves from a light or standard server to one that is high or very high, it is like two totally different games.

Is it just me, or is The Fatman server the only server saving this game from dying?

In the server, it's actually not that hard to group for any mission and players even ask to do any kinds of Operations on the Fleet. Socialization is pretty easy and can be quite fun—especially if you have a nice, tight-knit guild to socialize with. You find the Fleet, Capital and Starting Planets as the most populated within the server, with the other planets having a decent-to-high population.

Being in a highly populated server doesn't mean it comes without its cons, because the general chat is usually full of trolls and spam of guild recruitment posts (ones that are posted every 20 secs or so), and there will be players who really just make the experience of the game not-so-enjoyable.

Despite all the bugs, the lack of content you reach during endgame and its other cons (mentioned above), is The Fatman keeping most of the game alive? It's population, activity and communities within the server might be what's keeping players to stay (and making more players re-roll each day).

Apparently SWTOR has had a decline of nearly 25% of players, but that—and the end of the Rakghoul Plague Event—just seemed to affect The Fatman server population just minimally.

I've created this thread for a mature discussion intended for a Podcast that I'll be appearing on Monday the 14th.

So could The Fatman's factors in not just population, but the experience of the game and activity of the communities, be saving SWTOR? /Discuss!

Edit #1: You are free to extend this discussion off The Fatman, but please don't go overboard.

That is why merge of servers is the better choice instead of transfers cause yep you guessed it guess where all the transfers are heading, BW don't understand the human brain , they are better off doing the merge ensuring that the spread of population is spread evenly among all the servers and then add transfer options later when people settle in with there new server, less likely they will bomb a server with transfer's. They speak PR but they have bad PR as it is so what is there to lose with a merge?

and also save them money closing down useless servers. People talk about there names ending up being changed , well i ask them you want to be on a dead server or on a server with active people? A name is nothing if you have nobody to play with.

Indeed, Harbinger is doing well.

You can add Canderous Ordo to that as well. I came over from Vrook Lamar and the difference is like night and day. I miss my Jedi Sage, though, but I'm having fun with my Imperial Agent.