Where's the outcry coming from for Achievements?

Keeheen

Achievements are a completely pointless feature. Like 99% aren't even achievements at all, not in any sense of the word. Playing the game isn't an achievement, being lucky isn't an achievement, filling credit/time sinks isn't an achievement. Only things like clearing a raid without a single death or in a certain amount of time is an achievement. Doing a raid undermanned is an achievement. Doing an encounter a certain way, if it's actually a hard way and not just a token increase in difficulty, is an achievement. The rest are all self-congratulatory crap to keep people telling themselves how super awesome they are for reaching level 50 or something dumb like that.

Putting any effort into such completely pointless crap is a waste of time. It's nothing more than a way for people to be elitist.

In WoW I refused to put a dumb title up, so I got harassed when I did a daily dungeon. People calling me a scrub and a noob, even though I did my job. Not until I put up my "Bane of the fallen king" did these people finally shut up. That's the kind of crap achievements bring, self-importance and abuse, and for what? So you can tell your friends how you collected 200 mounts because if you didn't tell everyone, all the time, you would realize what a complete waste of time it really was.

My achievements is gear. I have never seen one person ask for achievements. Most players don't even care about codex.

I do care for achievements, so does the majority of the playerbase (achievements is something all console-games and most PC-Games have).

Why is that? Because theyre completely optional but incredibly, incredibly fun.

Seriously, if this game had achievements from the beginning, I can name you a dozen players on my friendslist who wouldnt have canceled their sub.

Remember, there are different teams that do different things.

I'd bet the team that would work on achievements, not much graphics or programing work, probably has the shortest list of things to do.

So in short, adding achievements wouldn't make your PvP fix, new Operation, or armour set take any longer to get released.

And some people want them, so the more people they make happy the better.

I don't think the fans of achievements understand what the OP is asking....

He's not saying achievements would be bad, or that the majority don't want them...

He's asking WHERE WAS THE OUTCRY FOR ACHIEVEMENTS?

Because I haven't seen a single thread about achievements, or lack there of. I haven't seen anyone DEMANDING them, like BW is saying.

Wouldn't it be nice FOR ONCE to have a gddmn Bio game dev to get off his azz and actually comment on something like this feature most of us want?

Even though Im playing this game, I can really see why Bio gets the well deserved reputation of being a 'cold shouldered' developer.

And the lack of Codex features is a HUGE REASON why SWTOR is a spectacularly average mmo. The lack of these features is key. And Bio will never understand that.............

There is no such thing as an achievement in a video game unless you are the one developing the game. It should be rename in all mmorpgs and games to waste of time.

a·chieve·ment: Noun:

1. A thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill.

2. The process or fact of achieving something.

Nothing in that definition states that an achievement must be something accomplished in the physical world. I realize what you are trying to convey but your statement is incorrect.

Also another note, 'waste of time' is a completely subjective statement. What each individual considers to be a waste of time may vary, and as all things in life serve no purpose other than our own fulfillment, if one enjoys playing a video game and it achieves said fulfillment it is no more a 'waste of time' than any other activity.

• 2 weeks later...
I think some of you are taking the term too literally. 'Achievements' are meant to function as a bucket list of things you can do, alternative to main activities. Implementing these in SWTOR might have been a good idea, considering the imbalance of sever populations. It would, at the very least, give people something to do while they wait for sever merges/transfers/whatever-they-plan-to-do. For those on servers that lack the population to raid, pvp without a long que, group for world bosses, or even put together 4 people to run a flashpoint, the only current alternatives are space missions and leveling alts. Point being, if BW is going to take its sweet time putting the MM back in MMORPG, ffs why not scatter some critters around the planets for people to kill and call it an 'achievement.'