Identity crisis..."that name is not available"

-Rxu-

In a game such as CO, DCUO and City of Heroes, I actually expect unique names. It goes with the genre (with very few exceptions).

However, in SW, outside of some Darth's they use their real name. Why would they be unique? There has to be multiple Han's, Leia's, Luke's and Lando's out there.

It makes no more (and no less) sense for a superhero game to require unique names than for a sci fi/fantasy game to do so. There's nothing special about either genre regarding uniqueness (or lack thereof) regarding character names.

It makes no more (and no less) sense for a superhero game to require unique names than for a sci fi/fantasy game to do so. There's nothing special about either genre regarding uniqueness (or lack thereof) regarding character names.

Read more comics? There's hardly ever multiple of the same name in a superhero comic. There's one Superman. Not multiple of them flying around. There's one Wolverine. There's not multiple of them running around. When you get multiple's it's usually because one quit/died/changed name and someone comes in and takes the name.

So for the superhero genre it is very much a genre thing. You didn't see the clone of Spider-Man say "I'm still Peter Parker, I'm still Spider-Man" they became Scarlet Spider. :p

Read more comics? There's hardly ever multiple of the same name in a superhero comic. There's one Superman. Not multiple of them flying around. There's one Wolverine. There's not multiple of them running around. When you get multiple's it's usually because one quit/died/changed name and someone comes in and takes the name.

So for the superhero genre it is very much a genre thing. You didn't see the clone of Spider-Man say "I'm still Peter Parker, I'm still Spider-Man" they became Scarlet Spider. :p

In one of the superman movies, clark kent fights an identical superman/clark kent :p

But in seriousness, you are absolutely right on that note

Transferred back to Harbinger from APAC server and had to rename 8/9 characters, I cant help think that it was the "ghost" of my characters names on Harbinger that flagged those names as being taken, its not the end of the world but a free name change doesnt count for much if you dont get the name you had or one that you wanted.

I don't want my account name used in the game. If I wanted people to know my account name, I'd tell them.

"I can't have the name I want in a computer game" just screams "First World Problem."

/Agree on both statements.

That neither supports nor undermines your contention that there's something special about superhero MMOs re: unique names.

Well, forced renaming is still an issue, its getting harder and harder to find a good name with the ridiculously high server populations and all the defunct accounts.

Really need some more servers or some more options. Maybe if someone hasn't logged in in over a year they loose the character names?

But do try to be careful of Necroing, Forum posters are very anal retentive.....

Well, forced renaming is still an issue, its getting harder and harder to find a good name with the ridiculously high server populations and all the defunct accounts.

Really need some more servers or some more options. Maybe if someone hasn't logged in in over a year they loose the character names?

But do try to be careful of Necroing, Forum posters are very anal retentive.....

I left some low level characters behind on Harbinger when we left for Dalbora, now on return their character generated names require name changes because these characters were judged as "non-active", im not sure what the period of non activeness was, but it does happen.