WZs is shield tech help a team more than Pyro?

TheMove

I've actually been looking at that, I'm going to try your bubble spec out once I rebuild my credit reserves. Pulling mods and moving them around gets expensive. I'll probably buy some expertise augments too to make up for the expertise loss on the couple armor pieces... if it matters... a shield every 40 seconds is insane, the expertise loss may not matter too much.

No no, dont look at the Bubble tank for PvP. Stance switching in pvp for a PT is not a good idea at all.

What I meant is to spec pyro (31 TD spec), and picking up Energy Rebounder, and the gear setup I mentioned above.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The current standard WZ system doesn't really lend any credit to someones achievements in a WZ. You could be facing off against the biggest group of noobs ever, or a bunch of pve people who are just doing the daily.

Until rated WZ's come in then there will be no way to tell if someones figures are impressive. Camping a bunch of people at spawn suggests your team as a whole was far better than the other team, not that pyro is super awesome or something.

Pyro definately has its place, none of the ST players are denying that. We do need pure dps spec's in WZ's because being able to kill people is important. But the Pyro players shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the usefulness of ST in any WZ map. It shows a very narrow view of someone who either just loves pyro, love to dps or just loves the play style of pyro.

I fully accept i will never put out as much damage as pyro, but i will be far more mobile, have far more control and better survivability. Anyone who thinks pyro can survive as good as ST is kidding themselves, even just the difference in stance is significant, not to mention talents that make things different.

Each spec has its place. Each is valuable to a team. Which is more valuable..... THE ONE THE TEAM DOESN'T HAVE.

I fully accept i will never put out as much damage as pyro, but i will be far more mobile, have far more control and better survivability. Anyone who thinks pyro can survive as good as ST is kidding themselves, even just the difference in stance is significant, not to mention talents that make things different.

Each spec has its place. Each is valuable to a team. Which is more valuable..... THE ONE THE TEAM DOESN'T HAVE.

As a pyro I have more survivability than an ST. Absolutely no question about it. With Energy Shield up almost 40% of the entire game, and being able to take out an opponent quickly, yields great survivability. A healer has way more survivability than a tank. Mauraders/Sentinels have more survivability than a tank. I think you are confusing Survivability with Durability. As a tank you are more durable, because you can mitigate more damage. That only means you will last 3-4 extra seconds when focused before you go down.

This is not about being a "fan" of Pyro. In fact I will say the same think about AP vs ST. I like the PT class in general, so I have no reason to put down one tree over another. In PvE, PT tanks are beasts. But I can guarantee that tanks will get some boost in PvP in the future, after they figure out how to deal with Tanksins. A good start would be a change to Shielding. They should allow a roll of "Shield" on ANY type of damage, even if there is 0 damage absorption on Force/Tech types of damage. That would make the mechanics of the tree way more viable.

you doing something wrong,

At level 16-21 i have done a minimum of 70k guard defense per match... it all dpends on how you play it. I play for wins, not medals or kills. I keep my healers up and and i try to help the ball carrier in huttball.

To me this style of play works very good.

As a pyro I have more survivability than an ST. Absolutely no question about it. With Energy Shield up almost 40% of the entire game, and being able to take out an opponent quickly, yields great survivability. A healer has way more survivability than a tank. Mauraders/Sentinels have more survivability than a tank. I think you are confusing Survivability with Durability. As a tank you are more durable, because you can mitigate more damage. That only means you will last 3-4 extra seconds when focused before you go down.

This is not about being a "fan" of Pyro. In fact I will say the same think about AP vs ST. I like the PT class in general, so I have no reason to put down one tree over another. In PvE, PT tanks are beasts. But I can guarantee that tanks will get some boost in PvP in the future, after they figure out how to deal with Tanksins. A good start would be a change to Shielding. They should allow a roll of "Shield" on ANY type of damage, even if there is 0 damage absorption on Force/Tech types of damage. That would make the mechanics of the tree way more viable.

Agooz made my point in a much better way. PT tanks are beasts in PVE. But tanks besides the hybrid tankasins are weak in pvp.

And it's not a pyro vs st, it's pure DPS vs Jugg/PT tank spec's in PvP.

You keep saying it's about the team, and I agree. Give me dps and maybe 1-2 healers over tanks/3+ healers.

Solo q'd the other night. All dps 4 pyros/2 mara's/1jugg dps/1 sorc dps against 3 healers 1 PT tank 4 dps. I recognized most of the names on both sides, so majority had BM gear.

We blew them up. Cause our dps focus'd the marks I put up. Didn't matter about cross healing or guarding. Sure we died a few times here and there, but when you can put someone in the ground much faster then they can you. Oh yeah.

Maybe in rated Tanks will have a place, or as Agooz said and I believe there is a buff coming to tanks or something. Otherwise why would you bring 1. Bring a tankasin for the HB matches and 2 healers and 5 dps. Since tankasin can put out the dps needed to burn someone and live forever.

you doing something wrong,

At level 16-21 i have done a minimum of 70k guard defense per match... it all dpends on how you play it. I play for wins, not medals or kills. I keep my healers up and and i try to help the ball carrier in huttball.

To me this style of play works very good.

Listen you want to spend your money and play that way fine. I just dont' want you on my team. My guild has like 3-4 tanks that pvp. OUr MT actually respec's DPS for pvp. I won't run with the other 3. I used to when all we got was HB, but now that HB is 1/4 of the time, no point. 1 of our Juggs who only PvP's actually went DPS because he see's how bad tanks have it in PvP right now.

And I say the opponents you're facing are doing it wrong. If DPS focus's healers/guarded people, they'll blow up and blow the tank up too. Problem is many pug's can't focus. Each person is on a separate person or close to it. So tanks look really good then.

Sorry man, no disprespect intended but you don't know what you are talking about. A ST has much more survivability than a PYRO tech. Im a shield tech and have faced several pyro's. It often comes down to who has CD's to use and who is the better player. As it should.

To a team, both players are important. For different reasons. But to say a pyro has more survivability because you burn people down faster is absurd.

Ask yourself this...can you effectively reduce a team's dps like a ST? Nope. Taunt you have, guard and oil slick you do not. Yeah, you have energy shield up more often which is nice, but don't have the passive armor/shield procs that a ST has. Granted, that doesn't help much vs a pyro elemental attacks but, it helps against all the rest.

Durability doesn't mean you last 3-4 more seconds. I last much longer than that. Consider my leap is on a short 13.5 second CD. You have no idea how many times I use this ability to get out of range and last longer in a fight to protect a node. So yes, please focus me. I will target your buddy 20 m away and leap to him, leaving 3 of you to scramble around picking another target, meanwhile wasting time.

If I had a nickle for everytime I leaped away from a sentinal, LOS'd him. Waited for him to chase me around a pillar. Stunned him. /facerolled him, pulled his buddy to me, carbonized both of them, and then leaped back to someone else who thought they were going to cap a door....

The ST has a 3 second root on grapple. Followed by carbonize. Followed by electo dart. Enjoy your acid bath.

As a ST, i see a healer/ball carrier/ or whatever getting ***** by 3 players. I toss on guard, aoe taunt, toss a missle, grapple one away (3 second root), leap in on another (3 second root), carbonize, oil slick, and start fire spamming. Enjoy your extended life my friend.

I'm Iron Fist specced so I do decent damage. I have 7 WH pieces. Kolto overload macro'd with Energy Shield both on a 2 min CD (specced). I use the rakata medpac (15% hp increase + heal). I'm very hard to kill. Put a healer on me and its going to take 3-4 of you at least.

But please don't get me wrong. I love seeing pyro teammates burn peoples face off. I just think it was absurd for you to say that you have more survivability than a ST. If you think that, you haven't seen a properly played ST.

Edited by mcgrace

Sorry man, no disprespect intended but you don't know what you are talking about. A ST has much more survivability than a PYRO tech. Im a shield tech and have faced several pyro's. It often comes down to who has CD's to use and who is the better player. As it should.

Ok maybe on your server, PT/Jugg Tanks somehow rule. Not on mine, in fact we completely ignore them. I cant tell you how often I go after a healer that is guarded, watching the tank's health going down while I am beating on the healer, then at the tank's 20%, I switch to him to finish him off and then back on the healer to do the same. But maybe you are right, I dont know what I am talking about because I havent really experienced PT/Van tanks that give my team any trouble.

To a team, both players are important. For different reasons. But to say a pyro has more survivability because you burn people down faster is absurd.

I dont understand how that is absurd. It's basic logic. There is a reason why in PvP sustained damage is garbage vs Burst. It is not about killing an opponent. It is about how FAST you can kill an opponent. A fraction of a second can make the difference between capping and getting interrupted. A pyro going solo to try to get a side turret has a MUCH better chance at getting it than an ST. Unless you're playing with people who are not aware of the side speeders, there is no way in hell an ST can kill quick enough and have time to cap before they come back again.

Ask yourself this...can you effectively reduce a team's dps like a ST? Nope. Taunt you have, guard and oil slick you do not. Yeah, you have energy shield up more often which is nice, but don't have the passive armor/shield procs that a ST has. Granted, that doesn't help much vs a pyro elemental attacks but, it helps against all the rest.

Of course I can, probably even better than an ST. Not only with taunts and CCs, but because I took out that Marauder/Merc/Sniper in under 10seconds, which is effectively reducing a team's dps by ALOT more than oil slick/guard. Shutting down a dps and completely throwing them back to the spawn point is 10x more effective than mitigating/reducing their damage. Who cares about reducing the damage when you cant have a person on your team getting a chance to cap or plant a bomb? An ability that does 10damage instead of 1000, will still interrupt your capping. Who cares about reducing damage in Huttball for the ball carrier, when you cant control the middle to get the ball in the first place? Is a Shieldtech better than a Pyro for "carrying" the ball? Of course. But I can still do without him. When I run premade, we never have a tank. Not really by choice, but the tanks in the guild PvP on their dps/healer characters. And as a Pyro, there are games that I score 2-3 times.

Durability doesn't mean you last 3-4 more seconds. I last much longer than that. Consider my leap is on a short 13.5 second CD. You have no idea how many times I use this ability to get out of range and last longer in a fight to protect a node. So yes, please focus me. I will target your buddy 20 m away and leap to him, leaving 3 of you to scramble around picking another target, meanwhile wasting time.

Great, leap away 20m from the node, so that my team can CC you and pull you even further away while our stealth is capping. A pyro on the other had, doesnt prolong a fight, he ends it quickly. Killing even just ONE foe quickly, is a better option even if you die, because that means reinforcement has to deal with one less person that is now waiting at the spawn point.

If I had a nickle for everytime I leaped away from a sentinal, LOS'd him. Waited for him to chase me around a pillar. Stunned him. /facerolled him, pulled his buddy to me, carbonized both of them, and then leaped back to someone else who thought they were going to cap a door....

With all due respect, spiderman moves dont really work on competent premades/players. No one that I know that has played a lot of WZ pays attention to a tank. The only time my team will be focusing a tank, is if it is the only target around.

The ST has a 3 second root on grapple. Followed by carbonize. Followed by electo dart. Enjoy your acid bath.

Yes and I pulled the ball carrier in the same acid pool with just a carbonize +3 GCDs and they died faster.

As a ST, i see a healer/ball carrier/ or whatever getting ***** by 3 players. I toss on guard, aoe taunt, toss a missle, grapple one away (3 second root), leap in on another (3 second root), carbonize, oil slick, and start fire spamming. Enjoy your extended life my friend.

You're correct, and you might be quite effective at that. But are you assuming that a Pyro is just watching the ball carrier run and cheering for him? That pyro is not peeling away AND eliminating 1,2, or 3 of the chasers?

I'm Iron Fist specced so I do decent damage. I have 7 WH pieces. Kolto overload macro'd with Energy Shield both on a 2 min CD (specced). I use the rakata medpac (15% hp increase + heal). I'm very hard to kill. Put a healer on me and its going to take 3-4 of you at least.

Oh Ironfist, so you do decent damage, but less than a full ST? In case you didnt know, since 1.2 a Full ST is more effective than Ironfist (not that I ever thought Ironfist was more effective than full ST even pre 1.2). But then again, I dont know what I am talking about.

But please don't get me wrong. I love seeing pyro teammates burn peoples face off. I just think it was absurd for you to say that you have more survivability than a ST. If you think that, you haven't seen a properly played ST.

You as well, please dont get me wrong. This is not a bash on you or STs. I am pretty sure you are very capable as a player in PvP. But everything being equal, I think Tanks (specifically PTs and Juggs) need some kind of buff in PvP. If anything, they should be at the same level as Assassin Tanks, which they CLEARLY are not.

I'm of the opinion that Pyros are stronger dmg than the specs of juggs and sins, but that their tank specs are superior for pvp. Jugg tanks are just as powerful as Assasins in terms of tanking imo. Sin has a bit more flex, but Juggs played well always feel like the hardest class in the game to kill in a group.

Pyro/Assault, imo, might be the strongest ranged dps in the game. As it stands the only ones that can even approach us in damage is a shared tree sniper or gunslinger, and even then only an exceptionally played one. Any damage difference could easily be made up with minimal taunting.

It's a shame so few play the spec to its full power.

Edited by ShiroRX

i respec'd to pyro so i could comment on it better. I spent the night topping the damage in every single WZ bar one which had a marauder with a pocket healer. I was doing 50 to 100% more damage than any other player in every match bar that one.

In a whole night (solo queue) i got 1 MVP vote. As ST i would normally get between 1-3 votes per game. That is the people saying what they think is most valuable.

I blew up countless people. It was easier to kite people and yes pyro is very strong. But every time more than 1 person targeted me i dropped like a sack of crap. Shield up or not, it doesn't matter. Pyro definitely has better survivability than AP which i tested last week.

I found pyro great for LOS fighting with the dots and TD, then once lured away from their team a quick rocket punch, RS and flame burst spam was easy mode slaughter. I definitely could not kill people as quickly or easily as ST.

As far as being a team player. I was just another number. Just another guy standing in a safe place and nuking away until there was an opening to run in and finish people off. I still used my hook which sux with no stun on it TBH. I still taunted. I tried to be as disruptive as i could to the other team while still pump out damage. The moment people noticed me actively disrupting combat they focused me back to the GY. I'm sorry but being able to zerg down enemies as a method of saving people just doesn't work. Someone stuns you, they heal and your back to square one.

Playing HB. 0-0 and 6 min to go. Neither team seems to be making any headway. I switch to guard stance, guard disrupt, taunt as much as i can. I forget about senselessly blowing people up because that wasn't changing the flow of the game. We then score 3 times and i get the only MVP vote of the night.

Summary

As Pyro the damage is insane

The kiting is superior to ST

the ability to kill people fast is awesome

i felt like a glass canon compared to ST

i lacked mobility

i lacked controls and interupts

Played correctly ST ability to stay alive is simply superior to pyro. Saying because you can kill people quick means you stay alive is silly. How much damage can you output while stunned but the other team? I'm sorry it just is and you should go get a set of gear and try it out properly. There is definitely a place for ST in PVP and the people who place the votes say so. They say it over and over and over that they love having a tank disputing flow of the game and taking the hits for them. The votes say that the team players don't value the damage someone does as much as they value a tank or a healer.

Saying flat out that pyro is superior to ST is not true. Each spec has its positive aspects. What it comes down to is what you like playing

i respec'd to pyro so i could comment on it better. I spent the night topping the damage in every single WZ bar one which had a marauder with a pocket healer. I was doing 50 to 100% more damage than any other player in every match bar that one.

In a whole night (solo queue) i got 1 MVP vote. As ST i would normally get between 1-3 votes per game. That is the people saying what they think is most valuable.

I blew up countless people. It was easier to kite people and yes pyro is very strong. But every time more than 1 person targeted me i dropped like a sack of crap. Shield up or not, it doesn't matter. Pyro definitely has better survivability than AP which i tested last week.

I found pyro great for LOS fighting with the dots and TD, then once lured away from their team a quick rocket punch, RS and flame burst spam was easy mode slaughter. I definitely could not kill people as quickly or easily as ST.

As far as being a team player. I was just another number. Just another guy standing in a safe place and nuking away until there was an opening to run in and finish people off. I still used my hook which sux with no stun on it TBH. I still taunted. I tried to be as disruptive as i could to the other team while still pump out damage. The moment people noticed me actively disrupting combat they focused me back to the GY. I'm sorry but being able to zerg down enemies as a method of saving people just doesn't work. Someone stuns you, they heal and your back to square one.

Playing HB. 0-0 and 6 min to go. Neither team seems to be making any headway. I switch to guard stance, guard disrupt, taunt as much as i can. I forget about senselessly blowing people up because that wasn't changing the flow of the game. We then score 3 times and i get the only MVP vote of the night.

Summary

i lacked mobility

Played correctly ST ability to stay alive is simply superior to pyro. Saying because you can kill people quick means you stay alive is silly. How much damage can you output while stunned but the other team? I'm sorry it just is and you should go get a set of gear and try it out properly. There is definitely a place for ST in PVP and the people who place the votes say so. They say it over and over and over that they love having a tank disputing flow of the game and taking the hits for them. The votes say that the team players don't value the damage someone does as much as they value a tank or a healer.

Saying flat out that pyro is superior to ST is not true. Each spec has its positive aspects. What it comes down to is what you like playing

With all due respect Wraithaur, there is a huge difference between playing a Pyro for a night, and playing it for 4-5 months. What kind of perspective would you expect If someone switched to ST for a night?

Votes...ah yes Votes. If you only knew all the ridiculous reasons people use when voting. Getting votes is absolutely no indication of real performance. There are many times I know the game was won because of me, because I solo capped both sides, or was able to hold the middle in HB solo, and gotten 0 votes, and other games where I didnt feel I did much because I was just coasting by and gotten 6 votes. Then the times I run premades, I wont bother you with how premades vote...lol

Honesly, I really wish more and more PTs play STs. That way Pyros stay out of the spotlight. If you enjoy playing an ST, which I dont doubt that you do, and you feel you are really contributing more to the team as a tank, then more power to you.

Summary

i lacked mobility

^^This.

Like I said before. I love having a pyro tech on my team. Our server has one well geared, well played pyro. And he anniihilates people. I usually assist his targets so they go down faster and more ppl die.

But he does not even come close to the protection I can give. Healers stay alive with my guard, not with him burning people down.

When a pyro tech is stun locked, they aren't doing any damage. When I'm stun locked, Im still mitigating damage. Both are very useful. I just wanted to point out that saying pyro's are infinitely better than ST is ignorant at best.

I am a dedicated PVE'er, who has recently discovered the joys of PVP. I am also a PT tank, and PVE specced (and when I reach level 50, I will probably respec for PVP nights). With that said, I wonder about the utility of the guard mechanic. When I guard someone, (if I am remembering correctly), 30% of the damage that would go to that person would go to me. So what are the benefits? The guarded person would possibly live a little longer, and I would continue doing mediocre damage (compared to a pyro). Is that damage a straight pass-through? That is, does my armor and shield provide extra mitigation for the damage coming to me? If not, then what is the point? The overall damage is the same, some of it is just passed on to me. In what scenario would this be beneficial, considering my damage could be 50% higher if I was pyro (if the threads I have read are correct)?

Let's say I was pyro...I could burn down the attacker instead, and the overall incoming damage would therefore be less than it would be because said attacker is dead. The overall benefits to our team would be greater. If I do not mitigate "guarded" damage, the only reason why I could conceivably do it is because I am not a threat due to lower damage output, and the opposing team figures they can merely kill me when they get rid of the bigger threats.

Now I am not denying the other utilities that PT tanks have...but are they worth it when compared to the lost DPS?

Edited by MrWilco

What a load of garbage. Survivability means just that, the ability to be the last one standing. If your going 1v1 the most survivable class is an assassin, hands down. I can two-three shot a maurader with my sniper, thats not survivable. In a large group with 6 people wailing on you, its the tank that lasts the longest, they are the more survivable. Yeah you may take out 1 of those 6 people wailing away on you, but by no means are you more survivable.

What a load of garbage. Survivability means just that, the ability to be the last one standing. If your going 1v1 the most survivable class is an assassin, hands down. I can two-three shot a maurader with my sniper, thats not survivable. In a large group with 6 people wailing on you, its the tank that lasts the longest, they are the more survivable. Yeah you may take out 1 of those 6 people wailing away on you, but by no means are you more survivable.

Sniper forum is ----> that way. We all know that you guys think tanks are great because of how sniper damage type plays out. We however, and the majority of the other ACs dont have that issue. I killed quite a few STs without even targeting them. Let them put that guard on the healer. 2-3 dps on the healer will only take them 2-3seconds longer. A dps PT running with a healer, is however a much bigger threat. And people often make the mistake of trying to take out the healer first, while the dps is CCing them and melting them one at a time, or sometimes 2-3 at a time.

Running 4man premade, our healer hardly ever dies. We NEVER have a tank in the group. In fact I will take 2 healers in my group ANY day, over a healer/ST. If they tweak STs to be as effective as Tanksins, I'd respec ST.

As i mentioned i tried out pyro again after having a decent break from it and falling in love with the ST spec. What i wasn't expecting was difference i felt when i went back to ST spec. The damage and burst difference was very significant. I was loving having my mobility back, but wow i did feel the lack of damage output as ST spec.

I am playing on the weekend however, which is the worst time to test a spec for pvp because its when all the kids are playing and no offense to the younger players, but they just don't play as a team like the older people do late at night. So there was little or no point in guarding or trying to support your team in random queues during the weekend days. I am going to run ST till the reset on tuesday, but i think i am sold on the conversion to Pyro. Not because i think Pyro is better for my team, but because i really bloody enjoyed blowing people up. When rated matches finally start and we start running serious groups i will most likely run as ST for the guild team, but Pyro definately has a fun factor.

Its good to see for the most part intelligent opinions and discussions without it resorting to name calling. Credit to the Powertech community!:D

Sniper forum is ----> that way. We all know that you guys think tanks are great because of how sniper damage type plays out. We however, and the majority of the other ACs dont have that issue. I killed quite a few STs without even targeting them. Let them put that guard on the healer. 2-3 dps on the healer will only take them 2-3seconds longer. A dps PT running with a healer, is however a much bigger threat. And people often make the mistake of trying to take out the healer first, while the dps is CCing them and melting them one at a time, or sometimes 2-3 at a time.

Running 4man premade, our healer hardly ever dies. We NEVER have a tank in the group. In fact I will take 2 healers in my group ANY day, over a healer/ST. If they tweak STs to be as effective as Tanksins, I'd respec ST.

We run 3 PT's Pyro's and either a healer or tankasin or once in awhile a diff dps (dps Jugg/mara/something). The only issue we have sometimes is HB with no ball runner but we still win a majority of HB even without a ball runner (if we don't have our tankasin and take a healer or other dps).

Yea if they tweak ST's to be like tanksins, mmmmm that'd be amazing. But doubt it's coming.