Charged for free 30-days -- See Fine Print

ironix

Seems that Bioware has been up to some dirty tricks with my account. Interestingly enough, we would then be counted in their 1st quarter results too... Seems I was a victim of the fine print.

EDIT: Mea culpa, but I'll leave it unchanged so you can have a giggle at my missing the obvious. ;)

Here's my complete account activity. I only just noticed this now.

2012/04/22 5:15 AM CLOSED $ 14.99 $ 1.80 $ 16.79

2012/02/19 1:57 AM CLOSED $ 14.99 $ 1.80 $ 16.79

2012/01/21 3:19 AM CLOSED $ 14.99 $ 1.80 $ 16.79

Next billing date:

21 Jun 2012 for $ 14.99

Timeline:

Early March - Cancelled Account

March 21 - Account becomes inactive

April 16 - Given 1-week free play time

April 20 - Offered 30-days free if I resubscribe

April 22 - Resubscribed to the game

April 22 - Charged $16.79...

According to the free 30-day offer:

To qualify for the thirty (30) days of game time at no charge*, you must reactivate your subscription on or before April 22, 2012, at 12:00PM CDT, 5:00PM GMT. Your 30-days of service will be posted to your account by April 25, 2012, 11:59PM CDT / April 26, 2012 4:49AM GMT at no charge. The 30-days take effect at the end of your first billing period. Plus, you will also receive the in-game Legacy Tauntaun Ram pet** upon your return for being an active subscriber by April 22, 2012 12:00PM CDT, 5:00PM GMT! The Tauntaun Ram pet will be delivered to you via in-game mail by April 25, 2012, 11:59PM CDT/ April 26, 2012, 4:59AM GMT.

And now the fine print:

* OFFER EXPIRES APRIL 22, 2012 12:00PM CDT, 5:00PM GMT. 30 DAYS GAME TIME STARTS AT END OF FIRST BILLING CYCLE. OFFER MAY NOT BE SUBSTITUTED, EXCHANGED, SOLD OR REDEEMED FOR CASH OR OTHER GOODS OR SERVICES. VALID WHEREVER SWTOR IS SOLD. MAY NOT BE COMBINED WITH ANY OTHER OFFER, GIFT CARD, REBATE OR DISCOUNT COUPON. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED, TAXED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. LIMIT ONE OFFER PER ACCOUNT.

Anyhow... Yeah. Seems I was suckered into paying for the "free" 30-days.

Edited by ironix

So, in other words, in plain English - including BOLD PLAIN ENGLISH - they told you what the deal was (free 30 days at END of first billing cycle) and you didn't read any of it. And even misunderstanding it, you're getting exactly what you expected - 2 months for the price of one - with a slight difference in when you paid for the month you agreed to.

Anyhow, if it makes you feel any better, the results they reported were as of the end of March as to subscriber numbers, so they didn't pad themselves by charging you on April 22.

Edited by jgelling

Yes, I really don't get it. Even in the non-fine print it says "The 30-days take effect at the end of your first billing period."

They delivered exactly what they promised, this is not an issue of anything being hidden in the fine print.

Nothing wrong here.

Says you must have an active subscription or reactivate to an active subscription by Apr 22.

And it says that the free time will be credited on Apr 25.

And that the free time will be added to the end of your current billing cycle.

If you reactivated on Apr 22, then your next billing cycle is May 22, at which time the free time will be added, pushing back your next billing to June 22.

Ah yes, as I already stated, it seems I have egg on my face with respect to this one. I failed for fully read the second paragraph with the statement buried in the middle after a string of dates.

I suppose I felt it seemed a bit deceptive to not put that information up front. Oh well, guess I'm here until June 21st to be counted with the 1st quarter results. :p

I suppose I felt it seemed a bit deceptive to not put that information up front.

"The 30-days take effect at the end of your first billing period." It's the third sentence.

When you are faced with having made a mistake it's natural to want to pin the blame on someone else. We understand; you are only human.

Have a good giggle on me. Mea culpa. :p

The point is that your response as evident in the OP is the typical internet response to things. Stuff like "OMG I WAS RIPPED OFF! I'll call my imaginary lawyer!!!" are the usual stuff, it's annoying, completely inane and makes people sad. Don't do it.

Timeline:

Early March - Cancelled Account

March 21 - Account becomes inactive

April 16 - Given 1-week free play time

April 20 - Offered 30-days free if I resubscribe

April 22 - Resubscribed to the game

April 22 - Charged $16.79...

According to the free 30-day offer:

And now the fine print:

Anyhow... Yeah. Seems I was suckered into paying for the "free" 30-days.

You were suckered? How is that? Your account was INACTIVE. You had UNSUBSCRIBED in MARCH.

What, you expected to be invited back for a free week, then given a free 30 days, on the hopes that you'd keep your subscription and pay a single month at the end of that free 5 weeks of game time?

What planet are you from?

They gave you a free week, and told you if you had resubscribed to the game (i.e. BECAME A PAYING CUSTOMER AGAIN) then you would receive a free 30 days playing time.

That meant.... wait for it.... that you'd have to.... PAY.... for a month's subscription to be qualified for the free 30 days. So you resubscribed on April 21st or 22nd, got charged for your subscription, and then, since you were once again a SUBSCRIBED customer, you received your free 30 days of playing time.

The only person in this mix trying to scam anyone was apparently YOU, who tried to get a free 30 days of play time without having to pay for it, since you most likely thought you'd cancel your subscription before the free 30 days ended and not have to pay at all.

Good thing you failed. BioWare is smarter than you think.