Light vs. Dark, better done Republic-side?

Guildrum

Okay. So I have been wondering something. I've found that when playing my Smuggler to 50, I enjoyed the Light-Dark system immensely despite being Light III a little ways into 50. I have found that doing Light Side vs. Dark Side decisions is a very tough deal in some cases Republic side, especially if you actually try to make your character DS. For example...

Ord Mantell story spoiler

Give the medicine to either sick refugees of war... Or give them to dying soldiers.

Coruscant Gree Series spoiler

Children using a broken water supply to drink on the lower levels of Coruscant, while the water is broken, Coruscant's overall water will be stagnant and unhealthy. You can.... 1. Leave it broken, for the kids, 2. Fix it, essentially dooming the children, or 3. Fix it, give the kids money to buy water (a short term solution for them).

Tython spoiler

Let a Force Sensitive Flesh Raider train as a Jedi, potentially risking the lives of many people by training it in the force, but also gaining a potential diplomat to the Flesh Raider people to end the conflict between them and the Jedi... Or kill the Flesh Raider, ending the risk right away, but closing the window of opportunity.

Meanwhile... In the Empire...

Revanite Story Spoiler

Report the correct gender of the leader of an insane cult to the Sith... Or tell them that it's a dude instead of a girl.

Black Talon spoiler

Kill a defector quick 'n easy, or turn them in to the Sith Police, where he will be tortured and be in intense pain...

Taris world arc spoiler

Kill Vesh, that Sith lady who has been trying to sabotage you, insulting you and getting in your way since you started the planet... Or let her live. Hm...

I feel like Light is done better for the Imperial side (Because in the Republic, you tend to come off as pretty lame and emotionless, at least as a Jedi.) and Dark is done better Republic-side. (Because a DS Imperial is just cartoonishly evil.)

I feel like Light is done better for the Imperial side (Because in the Republic, you tend to come off as pretty lame and emotionless, at least as a Jedi.) and Dark is done better Republic-side. (Because a DS Imperial is just cartoonishly evil.)

I think the reason is for this is that for Dark - Republic and Light - Empire, they need a reason to the right thing. "Why would a Sith do this?" "Well, it's in the interests of the Empire." and on the Republic needs a reason to do the wrong thing. "Why would a Trooper do this?" "Well, it's pragmatic and gets the job done faster/better/easier."

i tend to agree.

but overall i think republic has the better choices where both choices actually make sense. alot of the empires darkside choices are just goofy over the top murder for the sake of murder and i find that extremely boring.

Meanwhile... In the Empire...

Revanite Story Spoiler

Report the correct gender of the leader of an insane cult to the Sith... Or tell them that it's a dude instead of a girl.

To be fair, I think that's a little bit of an oversimplification. I was just pondering this decision yesterday and I didn't make the choice I thought I would going in (because I'd forgotten the details).

The leader comes off as a crazy conspiracy theorist. (And if you've played far enough in the game on another character, you know her crazy ideas are incorrect, so there's that...) Your other choice to not turn her in is to implicate a Darth as the cult leader -- Darth Charnus, the master of the guy (Sandor) who gave you the mission in the first place. That's not just a vague misdirection about her gender, it's an intent to rid the cult of a powerful persecutor who's learned too much about them.

Both of my Sith characters might have been somewhat interested in the Revanites' philosophy, for different reasons, but my SI was turned off by the Master's batpoop crazy. My SW conspired with the Revanites -- but more because it had the potential to bring down a Darth than because he agreed with the Master. And yet those were the Dark and Light choices, respectively. An interesting set of choices, I thought.